Author Topic: Re-brand of Mastech MS8229 from Harbor Freight (item #98674)  (Read 16088 times)

Offline tttTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re-brand of Mastech MS8229 from Harbor Freight (item #98674)
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:46:42 am »
Hi, I never posted here before (just lurking) but maybe someone is interested in some photos of a re-brand of a Mastech 8228(?) multimeter I just acquired. The particular re-brand I picked up was from Harbor Freight (ugh, I know), item # 98674 under the brand "Cen-Tech". With a 25% rebate I got this one for about $45 to the door ((44.99 * 0.75) * 1.085 (tax) + 6.99 (shipping)).

I haven't seen any particular reviews of this model, but what makes it somewhat unique are the Lux (luminosity) and dB (sound level) measuring capabilities. For me the important parts are the uA/mA ranges which I miss on my own handheld Flukes. While testing this meter it had no problem staying within spec. Not great specs but good enough for my purposes. From the manual:

DC

Range   Res.      Acc.
 400uA  0.1uA
4000uA  1uA
  40mA  10uA     +- 1.2%
 400mA  100uA
   4A   1mA
-----------------------
  10A   10mA     +- 2.0%

The other specs are similar, all +-1.2% and +-2% in the higher ranges. +-3% for capacitance. As you can see in the pictures there are tons of pots. I suppose I could spend some time calibrating this against my Fluke 8840A if have the patience ;D

Edit: Changed title to mention 8229 instead of 8228 which this indeed is.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:11:49 am by ttt »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Re-brand of Mastech MS2882(?) from Harbor Freight (item #98674)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:54:24 am »
Hi, I never posted here before (just lurking) but maybe someone is interested in some photos of a re-brand of a Mastech 8228(?) multimeter I just acquired.
Thanks for the teardown photos.  I believe it is a Mastech 8229.

http://www.p-mastech.com/images/SPEC/ms8229.pdf
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:27:12 am by retiredcaps »

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Re-brand of Mastech MS2882(?) from Harbor Freight (item #98674)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:25 am »
Hi, I never posted here before (just lurking) but maybe someone is interested in some photos of a re-brand of a Mastech 8228(?) multimeter I just acquired.
Thanks for the teardown photos.  I believe it is a Mastech MS8229.

http://www.p-mastech.com/images/SPEC/ms8229.pdf
Yes and it even says MS8229-1 right on the PCBs silkscreen. And thanks for the teardown.

Here's some other teardown pictures I found of a Mastech 8229: http://ctc-labs.soup.io

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:28:12 am by AndersAnd »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Re-brand of Mastech MS8229 from Harbor Freight (item #98674)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:26 am »
The design of this meter is a bit strange and gimmicky. Lux and dB? Cheap trimpots and electrolytic caps galore. Strange loose wiring all over the place. At least they seem to have used decent connectors.
I like the 3 AAA batteries. That should be good for endurance, although, with the lit connection jacks, that might not help much.
No fuse on the mA range; just a polyswitch (Careful with high voltages). The main A range fuse looks a bit skinny, but it is easily accessed.
Minimal protection overall, with one PTC and no MOVs in sight on the pictures.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »
.. yes and no safety approvals I can see stamped from any 3rd party testing agency, UL, TUV, NRTL etc.,

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:57:53 pm »
Every time I see a Mastech it confirms my feelings about their construction. This one is really built strangely.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:39 pm »
I had one of those from HF. Just like yours, but the earlier revision (bought in '08)

They used a PIC12 just for the blinking led banana jacks. It works fine, but is a little try-hard.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:11 pm »
Does someone know the reasoning for the hash pattern on the wide traces?

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_pour

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:31 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_pour

Ah, hatch not hash. No wonder a Google search returned no results.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:42:55 am »
The design of this meter is a bit strange and gimmicky. Lux and dB? Cheap trimpots and electrolytic caps galore. Strange loose wiring all over the place. At least they seem to have used decent connectors.
I like the 3 AAA batteries. That should be good for endurance, although, with the lit connection jacks, that might not help much.
No fuse on the mA range; just a polyswitch (Careful with high voltages). The main A range fuse looks a bit skinny, but it is easily accessed.

most of this ^^

the cheap trim pots everywhere do not instill confidence in me for this meter, nor do the wires running everywhere. the lit jack connectors seem gimmicky, although i can see the appeal for a niche market of beginners.

i do like the idea of the db meter, i could use that.

next time im at my local hf, i might pick one of those up for shits and giggles. whats another meter in the pile, anyway?

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »

most of this ^^

the cheap trim pots everywhere do not instill confidence in me for this meter, nor do the wires running everywhere. the lit jack connectors seem gimmicky, although i can see the appeal for a niche market of beginners.

i do like the idea of the db meter, i could use that.

next time im at my local hf, i might pick one of those up for shits and giggles. whats another meter in the pile, anyway?

so i picked one of these up yesterday. some odd things i noticed before even opening the box. first, for some reason, it states that it will only work in altitudes up to 7k ft. secondly, i see the box says that it will measure dc current up to 200A.  wonder if i did so and brought back a chunk of melted plastic if they'd cover it under warranty?  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf