Author Topic: Probe Master Differential Probes: Anyone used these?  (Read 10720 times)

Offline kg4arnTopic starter

• Supporter
Probe Master Differential Probes: Anyone used these?
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:43:59 pm »
Does anyone have experience with and/or care to comment upon the Probe Master Differential Oscilloscope probes?

http://www.probemaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=65
http://www.probemaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=64
http://www.probemaster.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=37934d7cfc17dbca8445ad6c962da61c

I have had generally good experience with their Passive Oscope probes.
Trying to decide on spending the extra money for Agilent or not.
Use is hobby not commercial.

Offline mahwe

• Contributor
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:20:48 am by mahwe »

Offline andyb

• Contributor
Re: Probe Master Differential Probes: Anyone used these?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:53:42 am »
As far as I can tell, Lecroy uses them as the OEM for their hv diff probes. I have one sitting on my bench, I'm in the middle of a repair / reverse engineer. I'm headed out of town for the weekend, but maybe I can put up a photo of its guts. It is pretty well made, tons of shielding, good separation. Unfortunately all the chips are obfuscated.. but otherwise, not too bad - plus I got it in non-working condition for $20...

Offline andyb

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:18:57 pm »
Teardown / repair here

http://bardagjy.com/?p=1664

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 04:17:00 am »
Teardown / repair here
http://bardagjy.com/?p=1664
good job thanks. but can you post the back side of the pcb? or if it isnt too much and easily dismantled, the back side of the second layer pcbs, there are two on each side with many smd resistors on it. i believe its equally important to know even if there is no component there. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:20:27 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline kg4arnTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:34 am »
Many thanks andyb

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:48 pm »
I recently bought this one from Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180839240171

Works just fine. The same seller also has 50MHz version. I like the fact it has a mains adapter. I hate equipment running on batteries. They're always empty when its most inconvenient.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline andyb

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:01 pm »
Attached image of the back side. Nothing really to see there.

Nothing on the back side of the "stacked" boards. Underneath the "stacked" boards are capacitors to compensate the input divider. Many caps in series, probably to increase their voltage rating. I tried to remove those boards, but didn't want to damage it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:44 am »
Attached image of the back side. Nothing really to see there.
Nothing on the back side of the "stacked" boards. Underneath the "stacked" boards are capacitors to compensate the input divider. Many caps in series, probably to increase their voltage rating. I tried to remove those boards, but didn't want to damage it.
there is! the ground plane! the other components are bonus ;) this strengthen my belief that ground plane under signal path (input stage voltage divider) is not necessary, and infact will screw something if provided (from my little experience at least). the reason i can think of why they stacked the input stage is maybe due to (1) to isolate input stage from nearby coupling (gnd plane and other components) from HV or CMRR degradation effect or either (2) to save space, but i doubt it since there will be extra manufacturing process for that trivial reason. you dont need to damage your stuff to impress others, your explanation on whats under the stacked board is more than appreciated, thanks. 10x :-+ for that.
edit: as someone mentioned. recalibrating this stuff is very sensitive and fiddly, so i guess you need to be careful poking with that naked pcb. YMMV.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:39:44 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline andyb

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »
Hrm, I'm not sure if there's a ground plane underneath the input resistor divider boards - I don't think so, this needs to be safe - but I'll check the next time I have it open.

The selective removal of ground plane on the bottom side of the (presumably) amplifiers is to minimize stray capacitance. This is a pretty common practice for high performance opamps, and mentioned explicitly in a few data sheets.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »
thats what i meant, ground plane under the input stage (under tha stacked pcb)

Offline underwurlde

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »
Old post I know but....

I have some of those testTec probes... expensive to say the least so, being bored one day & having a penchant for reverse engineering electronics, I thought I'd have a crack.

As mentioned, all the IC's have their markings scatched off, not making this easy but here goes:

PSU: switched mode based around an NE555 timer.

Diff amp:
14 pin device is... NOT as I initially thought it must be an opamp of some sort but a 5x NPN transistor pack, LM3046
So Diff amp is based around a simple transistor based diff amp arrangement with an added 2N2222 (NPN) and 2N3906 (PNP) etc for constant current using the power LED for vRef

A dual NChl monolithic JFET device provides the link from probes to differential input of transistor stage. *edit* this is an SST441 device. *edit*

The output stage is (I think) a 741 opamp.

Andy

I have a number of these TesTec probles, some that use thp parts and others that use smt.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:04:52 pm by underwurlde »
...always look on the bright side of death...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf