Author Topic: 121GW App Testing  (Read 34502 times)

Offline plexus

• Contributor
Re: 121GW App Testing
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 09:09:25 pm »
I just got a notification about a post in the discussion forum and ended up here. I am an iOS user. iphone 6, ipad mini, iphone 4. Looking forward to an iOS app!

You can use the app now if you like, just fill in the form at the top of the page and become a beta tester :)

How do I get the app? i searched the app store on my iphone for 121gw and eevblog and nothing came up.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 09:21:06 pm »
You can use the app now if you like, just fill in the form at the top of the page and become a beta tester :)

How do I get the app? i searched the app store on my iphone for 121gw and eevblog and nothing came up.

The app is not published yet. But you can fill in the form linked at the top of this thread and request to become a beta tester.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:17 pm »
My iPad mini is the original model, so it can't run iOS 11 unfortunately.  I considered upgrading, but I just don't use it enough (or do enough iOS app dev) to justify buying a new model.  I may have to eventually now that Apple is forcing all new apps to be built for iOS 11.

I just read the App Store submission guidelines, and while it says apps must be able to run on the currently shipping OS it doesn't say they can't run on older versions of the OS.

It would be very helpful for people with older devices or people who don't want to be on the bleeding edge of OS releases if the app could run on iOS 10 or earlier.

Are there any specific features of iOS 11 that it relies on? This is the first App I have tried that insists on iOS 11.3 as the minimum supported version.

True.

My understanding is that all new apps submitted to the store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK.  I'm haven't done any iOS app dev recently, so I haven't dug into what backwards compatibility that provides.  I imagine that Apple wants to encourage people to move to new devices though.

I guess it will be a matter of what Seppy can build using the Xamarin framework, and I'm sure there are some limits to what they can support.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:37 pm »
My understanding is that all new apps submitted to the store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK.  I'm haven't done any iOS app dev recently, so I haven't dug into what backwards compatibility that provides.  I imagine that Apple wants to encourage people to move to new devices though.

I guess it will be a matter of what Seppy can build using the Xamarin framework, and I'm sure there are some limits to what they can support.

I can say that my iPad has been running iOS 10.x for a long time, and no app downloads or updates have so far complained about the OS being unsupported. This app seems unique in saying it "requires iOS 11.3 or higher before it can be installed".

My guess is that the minimum OS level is a setting in the build that can be changed, and that perhaps the app package is picking up a default value corresponding to the latest OS release?

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:47 pm »
Well, on my iPhone 6 running iOS 11.3.1 (soon 11.4), I have several older apps installed some time ago that won't run anymore.
e.g. Trying to start the ONsemi app shows a popup
"ONsemi" Needs to Be Updated.
The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS 11.
[Learn More]  [OK]
(Yes, the capitalisation of "to Be" is exactly like that - unusual for Apple).
It then has a link to a learn more screen (Settings->General->About->Applications) which shows 14 apps I have on my phone that no longer work, and with no new updates in the app store.
That includes other large companies like Officeworks and Kathmandu that apparently haven't updated their apps.

Anyway, back to the 121GW app - it appears that Xamarin does support older versions of iOS.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/platform/
So unless Seppy is using some specific features requiring iOS 11 then he can probably adjust a build/publish setting for backwards compatibility (iOS 9 and above would be nice).

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 12:39:44 am »
I have done some more testing and am seeing issues when my phone gets about 1.3 m away from the 121GW.  Moving it closer does not recover the connection. There could be some interference so I will do some tests in a clean environment later (outside in a park maybe). The phone is an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.4

I was going to test on my iPad Pro but TestFlight said that I used up my single allotted test copy. Maybe there is a setting to allow each tester to try it on multiple devices?

A screen capture will be sent via mail.

Offline JonM

• Supporter
Re: Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 12:53:41 am »

There isn't currently an option for that, I'll add it in, I don't want to do a full time stamp for each item though as it makes the data less importable.
I can however change the default filename to the following, how does that sound (it would also be the default email title):
"Log DD-MM-YY, HH-MM-ss.csv"

Edit: for sortablility the following format was selected, what do people think?
"YYMMDD, HHMMss Log.csv"

P.S. Post screenshots if possible we really need them for the App store submission.

How about

"YYYYMMDD-HHMMss-121GW.csv"

or

"121GW-YYYYMMDD-HHMMss.csv"

?

The '121GW-' prefix could be a setting in the app.

Us UNIXy guys don't appreciate spaces in filenames. I don't really see the need for commas either in this data. Space separated should be sufficient, in which case the suffix would be .txt or .dat or something.

It would be good to set the logging interval, and as someone else said, a "round number" for the time interval is nicer.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 01:18:35 am »
Us UNIXy guys don't appreciate spaces in filenames.

Windows FTW!  ;D

It's true though, spaces can cause grief in scripts and on the command line. I think underscore is more portable than dash, so that would give a name like YYMMDD_HHMMSS.csv

I don't really see the need for commas either in this data. Space separated should be sufficient, in which case the suffix would be .txt or .dat or something.

Actually, comma separated with a .csv extension enables apps like Excel to open the file directly as a spreadsheet without any need for import filtering. So I would strongly favor retaining the current csv format and file type.

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:57 am »
I will never open the data in a spreadsheet but I can live with the commas, and maybe I even need them for the header. 98% of the time I will be using R and if there are spaces in the header without commas that will be a problem. In any case I will still have to cleanup the column names since they will become the column names in a R dataframe, and if spaces, and parens, in filenames  are an issue, they are far worse in variable names!

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 03:26:45 am »
Actually, comma separated with a .csv extension enables apps like Excel to open the file directly as a spreadsheet without any need for import filtering. So I would strongly favor retaining the current csv format and file type.

Only in part of the world, some countries uses "," as decimal separator and ";" between values in csv files.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 03:36:22 am »
Only in part of the world, some countries uses "," as decimal separator and ";" between values in csv files.

That is true, but a localization setting in the app could take care of that. I'm sure when you set up an iOS device you can choose country, region and culture settings to your preference.

With that said, I believe the tendency in science and engineering is to standardize on "." as the decimal separator these days.

Offline SeppyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 03:37:56 am »
I just got a notification about a post in the discussion forum and ended up here. I am an iOS user. iphone 6, ipad mini, iphone 4. Looking forward to an iOS app!

Hello, you should have received an invite in your email to join the beta program.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 03:48:22 am »
Us UNIXy guys don't appreciate spaces in filenames.

Windows FTW!  ;D

It's true though, spaces can cause grief in scripts and on the command line. I think underscore is more portable than dash, so that would give a name like YYMMDD_HHMMSS.csv

I don't really see the need for commas either in this data. Space separated should be sufficient, in which case the suffix would be .txt or .dat or something.

Alright, I have made the format as follows:
yyyyMMdd_HHmmss_Log.csv

This will be in the next beta version (it will be available to you soon) release.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 03:49:52 am »
That is true, but a localization setting in the app could take care of that. I'm sure when you set up an iOS device you can choose country, region and culture settings to your preference.

Many programmers are not very good at using that. I have seen csv files with "," as both decimal separator and value separator.

With that said, I believe the tendency in science and engineering is to standardize on "." as the decimal separator these days.

I prefer a fixed file format, but Misrosoft has decided that default csv file format varies by country and they do not care if you use it for engineering.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 04:20:17 am »

Many programmers are not very good at using that. I have seen csv files with "," as both decimal separator and value separator.

I prefer a fixed file format, but Microsoft has decided that default csv file format varies by country and they do not care if you use it for engineering.

If there is a comma in a cell the cell should be in quotes "". Most editors recognize strings and will ignore commas between quotes.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:45 am »
If there is a comma in a cell the cell should be in quotes "". Most editors recognize strings and will ignore commas between quotes.

No, that's not what HKJ means.

CSV in English speaking countries:

Code: [Select]
Time (s), Voltage DC (V)
0.05082, 0.0005
0.111293, 0.0006
0.831361, 0.0006
1.310702, 0.0006

CSV in European countries:

Time (s); Voltage DC (V)
0,05082; 0,0005
0,111293; 0,0006
0,831361; 0,0006
1,310702; 0,0006

That's how Excel works, and it can really mess people up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:49:43 am by IanB »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 04:33:02 am »
A few observations from tonight's testing:

1. I would like a way to change the graph update rate (e.g. every second, or every 5 seconds)
  - the maximum speed update is sometimes too fast, for example if logging temperature

2. The scroll and pinch gestures on the graph area only affect the time axis, not the vertical axis
  - if I pinch or drag in a vertical direction I would like it to affect the vertical graph scale

3. A minor bug: put the meter in temperature mode, press Hold so the value freezes, press Reset to clear the graph
  - The vertical axis does not display and graph does not draw a visible line

4. Suggestion: when you press Hold the displayed value is frozen and no new readings are sampled (as expected)
  - In this case the graph should stop scrolling since there is no new data to log

5. OS compatibility: I'd like to test the app on my iPad if you can remove the iOS 11.3 required version when installing
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:34:39 am by IanB »

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 04:38:32 am »

No, that's not what HKJ means.

Time (s), Voltage DC (V)
0.05082, 0.0005
0.111293, 0.0006
0.831361, 0.0006
1.310702, 0.0006

Time (s); Voltage DC (V)
0,05082; 0,0005
0,111293; 0,0006
0,831361; 0,0006
1,310702; 0,0006
1,820419; 0,0006
2,331409; 0,0006
[code]

Ah right, I've standardized with a ',' symbol. May make it locale aware but no real need at this point.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:02 am »
A feature suggestion:

6. When the meter is in auto-hold mode, the logging feature could record one data point per sample (one line of the data table per beep)

This would make it convenient to collect a series of measurements for later processing.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 06:15:41 am »
Could you take a screenshot of these two issues, do you
Ah right, I need to post my tutorial video, use it in portrait ,landscape is really just for fullscreen.
Doh, OK  of course.

So in portrait, the save and other buttons are there. But, when I push save it kicks me out of the app (whether logging or not).

Open circuit voltages will tend to be all over the place, just the result of a quite high impedance input.

Yeah, i get that but axis values Not corresponding  - maybe a function of range.?

Also FWIW, i use my iPad mini almost exclusively in landscape mode. Having all buttons available would be nice.

Can you take a screenshot that shows your full portrait screen with one of the DC values that do not correspond, will help in isolating any issue.
I'll try get my hands on an iPad Mini, I haven't got one to test with so in the mean time what are settings that resulted in that error, does it happen every time?

OK, so I can't take a screenshot of the first issue - that is on the iPad mini, when I tap the save button at the bottom of the graph, it just kicks me out of that app every time and puts me back onto the home screen without saving any logged data.  This is consistent and does it every single time.  The app is still running in the background - I am just booted out of it.

The second issue - the graph axis values with open leads on volt setting was mostly my misreading.  I did not immediately get that the small m - meant millivolts and with the tiny font I did not at first see the negative sign for negative values, so without a zero on the y axis it was difficult to orient the labels to what I was seeing on the digital readout.   It would help if the axis labels specified the units (eg mV for millivolt - not just m).  And with the small font, the negative sign so close to the y axis line with hash marks makes it difficult to discern on the iPad mini.

The x axis time values did not immediately make sense to me either but I think I've now figured them out now.

On the iPad Mini the graphing still has some issues.  The axis label font is very small relative to the graph which as I said make the negative sign very difficult to discern.  There are also sometimes long pauses before graphing resumes after hitting the reset button. Other times it resumes right away.  Lastly the y axis labels with low values (open leads) tend to sometimes, and apparently randomly, throw a microvolt value in with the millivolt values.   I have not noticed any of these issues with it running on my iPhone 5s.  Screen shots below.

iPad mini 4 -  microvolt label inserted amongst millivolt labels on y axis

Also - very small axis label fonts - looks fine here on the enlarged posted picture on a computer screen but on the iPad mini screen the fonts are tiny relative to the graph size - especially the negative - sign.

iPad mini - graph reset but no plotting occurring - even after waiting some time.

iPhone 5s.  OK.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:28:24 am by mtdoc »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 06:23:03 am »
A few observations from tonight's testing:

1. I would like a way to change the graph update rate (e.g. every second, or every 5 seconds)
  - the maximum speed update is sometimes too fast, for example if logging temperature

2. The scroll and pinch gestures on the graph area only affect the time axis, not the vertical axis
  - if I pinch or drag in a vertical direction I would like it to affect the vertical graph scale

Yes - this. Especially  2.

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:57 am »
Awesome work  :-+
Anybody makes DMMs apps for Android too?

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:01 am »
Awesome work  :-+
Anybody makes DMMs apps for Android too?
This app is available on Android.
Search 121GW :)

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:47 am »

Yes - this. Especially  2.

This is a feature that was actually tried, but there was a tendency to get lost on the plot if you can pan everywhere.
I would have to do some framing around the visible data but this was also tried and it proved confusing when panning. I also want this but I haven't thought of a great method to avoid the issues. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:03:35 am by Seppy »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 07:04:45 am »

Time (s), Voltage DC (V)
0.05082, 0.0005
0.111293, 0.0006
0.831361, 0.0006
1.310702, 0.0006

Time (s); Voltage DC (V)
0,05082; 0,0005
0,111293; 0,0006
0,831361; 0,0006
1,310702; 0,0006

CSV is Comma Separated Value.

The above is a F**k Microsoft has tried to impose is recent years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf