Author Topic: 121GW App Testing  (Read 34496 times)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: 121GW App Testing
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:04 am »
I like your suggestion though I will make it display minutes and seconds.

Thank you. Also, if it rolls over 60 minutes it should be hours, minutes, seconds.

Although the log will definitely display seconds, it makes graphing easier.

Agreed.

Looks like we need to add some information to the packet for 1.3, this is for C and F in temperature mode. This means 1.3 for temperature range will require a firmware update.

But if the secondary display is showing "70.8F" can't you use that "F" to trigger the display of °F on the main display? And use "24.2c" to trigger °C?

Offline SeppyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:27 am »
I like your suggestion though I will make it display minutes and seconds.

Thank you. Also, if it rolls over 60 minutes it should be hours, minutes, seconds.

Although the log will definitely display seconds, it makes graphing easier.

Agreed.

Looks like we need to add some information to the packet for 1.3, this is for C and F in temperature mode. This means 1.3 for temperature range will require a firmware update.

But if the secondary display is showing "70.8F" can't you use that "F" to trigger the display of °F on the main display? And use "24.2c" to trigger °C?

No worries regarding the hours thing :)
Unfortunately the secondary display cannot use the F to trigger F as if you open Menu or change what is displayed up there that section of the packet is dropped.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 02:35:37 am »
Save saves the data shown on the plot, the established data is the plot data.

But I'll mention again that I find it quite inconvenient that I can't start/stop the acquisition of data. What I'd like to do is be able to set up a test where I start acquisition, run the test, stop acquisition, and then review the data. I'd like to be able to scroll around the graph and zoom in/out without the graph auto-updating underneath me. And I'd like to stop acquisition before hitting Save so that I do not have redundant data tagged on the end of my history.

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2018, 03:34:59 am »
There needs to be an "About" or settings menu that includes the software version number. I am pretty sure that I woke up at 03:30 this morning after falling asleep watching a new Dave video and having some wine. (It was the late hour and wine not Dave, that did it of course...) and installed the new iOS test version, but I am not certain.

When I send data via email the subject line has the new Date_TIme subject line, but when I use "Save to Files" and use Box.com the file name it text.txt with no Date_Time at all. I think that  "Save to Files" is going to be the method that I want to use so that name fix would be appreciated.

In limited testing it seems that the range (distance between phone and DMM) is better and so is recovery if the connection is lost and there is a re-connect.

Thanks!

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:04 am »
There needs to be an "About" or settings menu that includes the software version number. I am pretty sure that I woke up at 03:30 this morning after falling asleep watching a new Dave video and having some wine. (It was the late hour and wine not Dave, that did it of course...) and installed the new iOS test version, but I am not certain.

When I send data via email the subject line has the new Date_TIme subject line, but when I use "Save to Files" and use Box.com the file name it text.txt with no Date_Time at all. I think that  "Save to Files" is going to be the method that I want to use so that name fix would be appreciated.

In limited testing it seems that the range (distance between phone and DMM) is better and so is recovery if the connection is lost and there is a re-connect.

Thanks!

Yeah your absolutely correct about the storage Apps, I don't know how to set those filenames yet, they don't seem to allow me to... I've tried a few dozen things there
:(
I'll figure it out eventually, but this proved a pain in the arse.

As for the range, thanks for the feedback :)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2018, 03:51:07 am »
Bug report:

On iPad, iOS 10.2.1, recorded some history to the graph, then hit Save, and the app crashed, dumping me back to the main iOS screen. It seems to do this all the time.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2018, 03:55:38 am »
Bug report:

On iPad, iOS 10.2.1, recorded some history to the graph, then hit Save, and the app crashed, dumping me back to the main iOS screen. It seems to do this all the time.

Darn it yeah this was a suspicious for iOS 10... Error noted.

Progress Update for Build 1.3:
- Issue that results in BLE sometimes not connecting and requiring multimeter reset resolved
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:58:20 am by Seppy »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2018, 04:06:48 am »

I recall I am not the only one to see this problem. See below:

So in portrait, the save and other buttons are there. But, when I push save it kicks me out of the app (whether logging or not).

This is iOS 11.4 on an iPad mini 4.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:08:30 am by IanB »

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2018, 04:15:17 am »

I recall I am not the only one to see this problem. See below:

So in portrait, the save and other buttons are there. But, when I push save it kicks me out of the app (whether logging or not).

This is iOS 11.4 on an iPad mini 4.

Does it work on any specific devices you have?

Edit : This can happen when someone clicks Don't Allow when the permissions dialog appears. Not 100% sure thats the cause but it was for some other apps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:27:11 am by Seppy »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:16 am »
Does it work on any specific devices you have?

Edit : This can happen when someone clicks Don't Allow when the permissions dialog appears. Not 100% sure thats the cause but it was for some other apps.

Yes, it works fine on my iPhone 6 running iOS 11.4.

I have not seen a permissions dialog pop up.

The only permission the app seems to ask for is "Background App Refresh" and this is enabled.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2018, 04:41:28 am »
Does the TestFlight app send you crash reports?

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2018, 04:56:33 am »
Does the TestFlight app send you crash reports?

I just get the number of crashes not what happened. At least thats all I know about or could find.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:52:06 am by Seppy »

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2018, 06:36:16 am »
Build 1.3:
- New firmware tested, working with temperature F and C (instead of just C)
- Build 1.3 now includes support for F and C
- Potential solution to iPad crashing when saving data
- Bluetooth devices now appear without having to click refresh and it doesn't have the stupid code (unstable) that made it work in 1.1.
- Issue that results in BLE sometimes not connecting and requiring multimeter reset resolved
- Zero'd the X axis values based on first sample, will add HH:MM:ss:mmm or something similar but that is a little to many characters for the graph we need something better.

Planned changes for 1.4:
- Improved pinch to zoom, some outliers issues.
- Adding build version in the settings page, might change settings page name to Home as there are not many settings lol
- Graph label for Temperate F still displays C, screen is fixed though.
- Data will be drawn underneath axis labels

Firmware 1.21 is available here, it is required for the C and F update:
https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/

Need testing of file saving on iPads.

Available NOW!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:49:57 am by Seppy »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »
With version 1.3 it no longer crashes when saving on my iPad mini. Well done!

Pinch and zoom much better than in 1.0 with good control of x and y axis.  :-+

Bug:   If I tap settings, it puts me back to the connections screen and the app is locked up - completely unresponsive. I need to quit the app and restart.

I was wrong, you can get back to the meter reading by tapping the [ 0 ] on the bottom right.  This is not intuitive at all IMO. You should be able to returm to the meter by tapping in its 121GW listing at the top of the screen.

Also, something other than [ 0 ] as a button on the bottom right would be better.  Perhaps [Return] or [121GW] .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:33:14 pm by mtdoc »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2018, 03:29:27 pm »
Bug:  Sometimes when pan and zooming on gragh, you get in a mode where the y axis labels and lines disappear and you can no longer see the data. No amount of pinching or dragging, or scrolling brings it back. Tapping reset doesn’t work either.

The following users thanked this post: Seppy

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »
Bug:  Sometimes when pan and zooming on gragh, you get in a mode where the y axis labels and lines disappear and you can no longer see the data. No amount of pinching or dragging, or scrolling brings it back. Tapping reset doesn’t work either.

Did you try a double tap on the graph area? That should reset to the full auto-scaled view.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:53 pm »
Build 1.3:
- Potential solution to iPad crashing when saving data

Verified. Save now works on my iPad  :)

will add HH:MM:ss:mmm or something similar but that is a little to many characters for the graph we need something better.

For the axis labels I don't think fractional seconds are needed. The time axis grid lines should be in round number intervals, so hh:mm:ss should be sufficient (it is only 8 characters and the colons are thin).

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:20 pm »

Did you try a double tap on the graph area? That should reset to the full auto-scaled view.

Yes, that resets it.

But it still seems like a bug that an axis disappears and pinch/drag stops working and the reset button becomes nonfunctional.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »
will add HH:MM:ss:mmm or something similar but that is a little to many characters for the graph we need something better.
For the axis labels I don't think fractional seconds are needed. The time axis grid lines should be in round number intervals, so hh:mm:ss should be sufficient (it is only 8 characters and the colons are thin).

I agree. No need for fractional secomds.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2018, 01:24:21 am »

I agree. No need for fractional secomds.

The reasons that there are fractions of a second on the X axis are as follows:
  • The range auto-scales to new data, new data arrives in fractions of a second
  • If the range block auto scales (to the next round number) it expands in a jerky manner
  • If I simply truncate the digits, preventing issue 2 then it is inaccurate

There are some things to try but I want to avoid block auto scaling as it is jerky. I also don't want to truncate as it is simply inaccurate.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2018, 02:13:03 am »
The reasons that there are fractions of a second on the X axis are as follows:
  • The range auto-scales to new data, new data arrives in fractions of a second
  • If the range block auto scales (to the next round number) it expands in a jerky manner
  • If I simply truncate the digits, preventing issue 2 then it is inaccurate

There are some things to try but I want to avoid block auto scaling as it is jerky. I also don't want to truncate as it is simply inaccurate.

I think the way to do this is to have a partial grid division on the right hand side of the time axis. For example, suppose there are 4.32 seconds of data. You would have time axis divisions at 0 s, 1 s, 2 s, 3 s and 4 s, and then a partial division 0.32 seconds wide to complete the width. As more data arrives the 4 s grid line would scroll to the left until there are 5 s of data, at which time the 5 s grid line would appear and also start scrolling to the left. At such time as there are let's say 20 s of data, then the grid interval would change from 1 s to 2 s, and the same process would repeat.

I can show a picture of this, maybe, if you do not follow from my description.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2018, 02:38:53 am »
Just for clarity, here is an illustration of auto-scaling the time axis with round number time divisions:

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc, Seppy

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »
I'm getting the frequency cut off in the display when viewing on a iPhone X (Thanks to the notch). Otherwise good so far. To be clear it is displaying, something, I just can't make out all of it.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2018, 01:02:46 am »
I'm getting the frequency cut off in the display when viewing on a iPhone X (Thanks to the notch). Otherwise good so far. To be clear it is displaying, something, I just can't make out all of it.

Are you able to take a screenshot?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:39 am »
I know I showed up late for the testing, but better late then never I guess.

I’m assuming you have a cut off for iOS version and hardware? Since Apple has moved to start cleaning the App Store up with only new 64 bit apps being submitted now does this mean your app will support all A7 chip 64 bit to current?
I think this makes the iPhone 5S the first phone, and the iPad Mini 2 (or Retina)the first iPad mini. I’m not sure what hardware for the iPad uses the A7 64 bit processor, maybe the iPad Air? Also sticking with A7 and higher means it has full iOS support still for iOS updates.

Thanks,
Scott

Edit: Removed pictures.

Video of iPhone X:
https://youtu.be/LjUDj45ShnQ
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:34:19 am by Scottjd »
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf