Author Topic: 121GW App Testing  (Read 34511 times)

Offline SeppyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Curious
Re: 121GW App Testing
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17:15 am »
Build 1.6:
- DC, AC, AC + DC Icon glitch resolved
- Icons added to tabs for improved user experience
- Improve scaling of tab titles
- Diode mode Voltage now displays correctly when range is pressed
- M and k now show when the ohms range is over-range

Android App also synchronized, and updated.
The update is pending a package update for the windows App but the Windows App has also been synchronized with all the changes.

Avaliable NOW!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:40:47 am by Seppy »

The following users thanked this post: rs20, Kean

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2018, 09:45:06 am »
Looks nice. Your on a roll tonight, in the zone.
 I sent an email. Ignore the first email zip file. I attached the wrong file. The one I wanted to attach was to big, so it’s on the share. Same link as before, but link is also in the updated email.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

The following users thanked this post: Seppy

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
Hi,

Tried downloading the IOS app on my Ipad Mini but got a "121GW is not compatible with this iPad" message.

Ipad Mini - Model A1432
iOS 9.3.5 (latest version for this model)

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »
Ipad Mini - Model A1432

This app needs iOS 10 or higher to run.
Apple is moving away from all older devices ad their older 32 bit architecture. The original iPad mini was official discontinued on June 19, 2015. I think this is because it runs the A5 32 bit processor.
The iPad mini 2 is still cheap and runs the A7 64 bit processor and I can confirm it works in this model.

The app description under supported devices also say it needs iOS 10 to run, and part of this is for Bluetooth LE but mostly for 64 bit app support. I don’t think Apple is allowing any new 32 bit apps, and all app updates must be 64 bit now to be added to the App Store for a while now. I think this was announced over a year ago giving developers plenty of time to update the apps.
Apple has been good for supporting old apps and upgrading iOS on older devices for many years, but eventually technology goes to a way that things have to change with new and better hardware to keep up with performance.

I can say I am surprised the 121GW app works just as good on the iPad mini 2 as it does on an iPhone X and iPad Pro 2nd gen. No difference in performance at all.
Compared to testing the mooshie meter that had an app crash every 5 minutes, I have not had this app crash yet. Impressive for the first app release version by the EEVBlog team.
The mooshie meter was returned since it didn’t have an LCD and I couldn’t keep the app running, this made it useless to be running with Bluetooth.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2018, 12:30:07 am »
I agree that this app is very impressive for a first time app right out of the gate. Well done David!

FWIW though, I‘ve had no issues with the Mooshimeter app on iphone or ipad. It’s been equally impressive. I’ve had my Mooshimeter since the initial crowdfund and other than some issues with the very first app release years ago, it has worked flawlessly.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2018, 02:13:19 am »
FWIW though, I‘ve had no issues with the Mooshimeter app on iphone or ipad. It’s been equally impressive. I’ve had my Mooshimeter since the initial crowdfund and other than some issues with the very first app release years ago, it has worked flawlessly.
Maybe the mooshie meter was cutting the connection then, not the app? I tried 5 different 64 bit latest iOS updated devices with the same results. Same devices I beta tested with the 121GW app. Then I gave up. The videos they have in the site are not even the same app when they show how to use it and demos. Oh well. I have this one now and it will do what I need it to do.
I hope as this grows and the firmware grows (or goes open source completely) the app will see features like the mooshie with the second channel for power factor. Oh wait, they limited that to 50VAC, or did they bring it back? Well if it’s limited I guess it won’t do those things for mains voltage devices like LED lights bulbs.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2018, 04:57:47 am »
Hi,

Tried downloading the IOS app on my Ipad Mini but got a "121GW is not compatible with this iPad" message.

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

I might be able to get it to run on 9.3 but there are a few differences that far back are you able to upgrade to 10?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2018, 05:49:56 am »
The only way he will be able to get iOS 10 installed is if someone cobbled together a hacked version and his iPad mini is already jail broken.
The official support is:
iOS 6   Maximum OS:   iOS 9.x*
Details:   *With the exception of a couple of minor photography features, this model is fully supported by the last version of iOS 7. It is fully supported by iOS 8 with the notable exception of "Health" functionality. It is supported by iOS 9, but lacks support for major interface features as well as "Transit" functionality. It is not supported by iOS 10 or subsequent versions of the iOS at all.

But unlike newer Apple devices, some older devices had a hardware vulnerability for jail breaking and doesn’t depend on a signed certificate from apples server. If his modlemhad this hardware vulnerability, I can’t say for sure. I’ve been out of it to long to remember.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2018, 07:22:07 am »
Hi,

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

I might be able to get it to run on 9.3 but there are a few differences that far back are you able to upgrade to 10?

That's going to mean the iPhone 4 I sent Dave is going to be useless.  From my investigations, it is only supported up to version 7.1.2.

Sorry about that.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:27 am »
Hi,

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

That's going to mean the iPhone 4 I sent Dave is going to be useless.  From my investigations, it is only supported up to version 7.1.2.

Sorry about that.
4S is currently supported to 9.3.5
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2018, 08:23:40 am »
Hi,

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

Sorry Ian. Sometimes that sucks. I have an iPhone 4 also. It is the one I didn’t do test in out of all the test devices. In fact I traded in a lot of the older stuff last year to be recycled because of the iOS cutoff. I figured I don’t need them for testing anymore but somehow missed the 4 in the box. I guess I can make it a test for a hot air station?
With the iPod touches it’s a little different, these do not get updates every year. But I think 2 models use the processors high enough to run iOS 10. I know the 6th gen does, I was able to use it for the original FLIR ONE. And I think maybe the 5th gen might be ok, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I’m still waiting for them to drop the first watch, it’s 4 watches back but they are still updating it despite it being a single core processor/less ram and much slower then the series 1, 2, And 3. The original didn’t have a “series” name to it at all. It was just called the Apple Watch. I wish I could keep it as a collector thing but I know I won’t turn it on and charge it up every few months so the battery will just die. In something that small I’m sure the OLED screen or sapphire will crack when the lithium rechargeable battery swells.

Rechargeable can be good except for storage over years if its not being used. I just had the same realization about my old insulin pump when I put the new one on last year. It won’t last 4 years in a closet for a backup because of the rechargeable battery. It’s sort of dumb, it was replaced under warranty last year from a bad software update that bricked my original one. I’m required to get a new one every 4 years so this still has technically 3 years of life left. They charge the insurance $8K (usd) but because it’s a prescribed item I’m not legally allowed to give it to someone else that needs it. I guess part of that cost covered overnight shipping replacements as a medically needed device. And they don’t have a recycling credit program yet.  :palm: I know some needs it that can’t afford it, but then I would be breaking a federal law,  |O go figure. I wish the FDA would make exceptions for these things like maybe have the pump tested and certified so it can be passed on.
Well it might make a good medical device tear down video?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2018, 12:58:34 pm »
Hi,

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

Sorry about that.
4S is currently supported to 9.3.5

The one I sent in was a 4, not a 4S.

I could have had a 4S, but I would have had to pay more than I could justify at the time.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2018, 01:27:28 am »
Build 1.4:
3.   Added support for numbers above 65535 in the Bluetooth packet (you will need firmware 1.22) the packet now has 18 bits for the value.
Newest firmware can be downloaded from https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/

Avaliable NOW!

thanks,
So a V2 of  '121GW-BLE-Packet-Format-V1.pdf' can be expected?
The packet format document has been updated it is in the Firmware section of the product page.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, bicycleguy

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:36 am »
Hi,

Ipad Mini - Model A1432

Ian.

My Ipad Mini says it's fully up-to-date at 9.3.5 so I am guessing thats a no for 10.
Don't really want to spend ~£100 for another 2nd hand Ipad Mini.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2018, 06:19:44 am »
Seppy, I downloaded the original app onto my iPad 2 some time ago which now has 9.5.3 and won't update anymore obviously. The app runs without the meter but as I don't have my meter yet I haven't tested its functionality.

Will the first version of the app run in 9.3.5 ok?

Geoff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:19:42 pm by vk3zgw »

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2018, 06:25:16 am »
Seppy, I downloaded the original app onto my iPad 2 some time ago which now has 9.5.3 and won't update anymore obviously. The app runs without the meter but as I don't have my meter yet I haven't tested its functionality.

Will the first version of the app run in 9.3.5 ok?

Geoff

What do you mean by the first version?
Do you mean 1.7, I don't think it will run on 9 at this time, might add support at some point but its tough for one person to maintain 3 backward compatible versions on 3 platforms simultaneously.

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2018, 02:07:40 am »
Nowhere on the app to see what version. As I remember it was the first to be made available. It fires up on my iPad and I can see graphs, but as to if it will connect to the meter I don't know yet. Still 2 months before I get home to try it.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2018, 11:27:43 am »
Android App shows "Voltage AC (V)" on chart and log when meter is set to DC+AC

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »
That's the iphone app thread, but as I didn't find any other thread, I'll post here my problem with the Android app.

Ok, got the Dave-O-meter just a few days ago, came with latest FW 1-22.
I installed the eevblog app on three different android phones, a Galaxy S3, a J7, and a P9, all with the latest android version, also.

On all phones, the app seems to not working correctly, DMM connects to phone, but then nothing happens, only if I tap on the 121GW folder label, data updates once, maybe some buffering occurs, as more than one data point is transferred
I would expect that data is transferred continuously, as soon as the application starts, so always updating the actual reading on the phone, and also updating the graph.
I also can't zoom or shift the graph, and there are no  setting items available
I append the screenshots, they look different than the iphone app, the status line is missing

export to a file is possible, but is interrupted somewhere in the middle of a line, and afterwards, can't be resumed.
Have to start the application again.

What's wrong, please?

Frank
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:15:23 pm by Dr. Frank »

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2018, 12:39:26 am »
That's the iphone app thread, but as I didn't find any other thread, I'll post here my problem with the Android app.

Ok, got the Dave-O-meter just a few days ago, came with latest FW 1-22.
I installed the eevblog app on three different android phones, a Galaxy S3, a J7, and a P9, all with the latest android version, also.

On all phones, the app seems to not working correctly, DMM connects to phone, but then nothing happens, only if I tap on the 121GW folder label, data updates once, maybe some buffering occurs, as more than one data point is transferred
I would expect that data is transferred continuously, as soon as the application starts, so always updating the actual reading on the phone, and also updating the graph.
I also can't zoom or shift the graph, and there are no  setting items available
I append the screenshots, they look different than the iphone app, the status line is missing

export to a file is possible, but is interrupted somewhere in the middle of a line, and afterwards, can't be resumed.
Have to start the application again.

What's wrong, please?

Frank

I'm unsure this is unseen behavior I suspect related to an android update that I haven't yet encountered.
Just a few things to check:
1. Does the data update every time you press for example HOLD? <- I suspect this will work and it indicates that the way redraw is called is different...
2. Does the phone have any other instances of the App running (this produces undefined behavior)
3. What version of android is on each of those devices?

EDIT: Small change in android caused this build to fail, an update will be posted very soon.
Sorry about that, should have seen that coming...

EDIT: Build 9 is now on the Google Play store, but it might take some time to become available.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:04:41 am by Seppy »

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2018, 08:06:03 am »

I'm unsure this is unseen behavior I suspect related to an android update that I haven't yet encountered.
1. Does the data update every time you press for example HOLD? <- I suspect this will work and it indicates that the way redraw is called is different...
2. Does the phone have any other instances of the App running (this produces undefined behavior)

EDIT: Small change in android caused this build to fail, an update will be posted very soon.

EDIT: Build 9 is now on the Google Play store, but it might take some time to become available.

1. Nope, did not update on HOLD
2. Nope, have cleared any other application running before.
3. Seems not android version related, have tested with 4.3 and 2x 7.0

Just downloaded Build 9, that was quick.. and it works like a treat!
Thank you very much!

Frank

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:37 pm »

1. Nope, did not update on HOLD
2. Nope, have cleared any other application running before.
3. Seems not android version related, have tested with 4.3 and 2x 7.0

Just downloaded Build 9, that was quick.. and it works like a treat!
Thank you very much!

Frank

No worries, glad to help :)

The following users thanked this post: ChunkyPastaSauce, wolfy007

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2018, 10:02:38 am »
I'm a pain in the neck, I know..  :palm:

The now working android app, build 9, displays the burden voltage incorrectly, the 'milli' sign for '148.9 mV' is missing. The indicator 'b' for burden is also missing.
Maybe that also occurs in the apps for the other platforms.

Frank 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:26:11 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
Same on iPad with build 1.7

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:24 am »
The first actual need I had to log data on the 121GW revealed a bug in the iOS app.

Meter FW: 1.22
iOS App: Build 1.6

AC Current reading is off on the iOS device by either 100x high or 10x low.

121GW         App            Range
1.0007 mA    100.07 mA    Auto
1.0007 mA    100.07 mA    First manual
1.002  mA    0.1002 mA    Second manual

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf