Author Topic: Rechargeable 9V batterries for DMM or Alkaline only?  (Read 3512 times)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Rechargeable 9V batterries for DMM or Alkaline only?
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 04:48:46 pm »
I use USB rechargeable battery, that has a DC-DC converter inside. Works great. Why? Because I don't have a nice 9V charger or battery, they don't make LSD 9V. Or they don't advertise it well.

Do you have a link to the one you bought? I'll probably buy that one.   Sounds good.

Aliexpress
HobbyKing

Personally I'd trust HobbyKing more than Aliexpress. YMMV. HobbyKing is also where I buy my AA and AAA LSD Ni-MH, and AA Ni-Zn.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 06:56:06 pm »
they don't make LSD 9V. Or they don't advertise it well.

Sure they do, I have a pile of them, maybe they don't advertise it well, but typically the package will say something like "pre-charged" or "ready to use". Most NiMH batteries currently made are LSD, it isn't a special thing you have to search for anymore.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 07:43:55 pm »
I've used a 6 cell D-cell battery holder for cheap isolated powering of 9V equipment for long periods.  You can get them on eBay or Amazon for about $5.

There are 4 advantages to doing this.

1) Alkaline D-cells are relatively cheap.
2) They can be used for lot's of other household things, like flashlights, toys, etc.  So won't go to waste before they are depleted.
3) Being external, if they leak they will not destroy your meter.
4) They pack a lot of energy.  They will likely power a UT61E for many, many months.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2022, 08:30:15 pm »
D-cells are very much running out of favor in many cases.  If not careful you may end up with an AA size cell with extra spacer to make it fit the old form factor. An alkaline AA tends to last not as long as a class D dry cell though. Not many new toys / tools use the D-size - it is more like going obsolete: low power devices usually don't need that much capacity and higher power devices tend to use rechargibles.

Even with just an external battery, this makes it tricky to keep the isolation barrier with an extra cable / connector. 

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2022, 04:34:01 pm »
I just use alkaline 9 volt batteries.  They last for years so rechargeable batteries do not make a lot of sense.

A multimeter consumes a few mA of current, so you could easily have a super tiny voltage doubler circuit on a lithium battery produce around 6-7.5v from 3.7v .. 4.2v

Early Texas Instruments calculators had 1 or 2 AA NiCd battery packs with a small boost converter to produce 9 volts.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 01:21:12 pm by David Hess »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2022, 07:45:28 pm »
D-cells are very much running out of favor in many cases.  If not careful you may end up with an AA size cell with extra spacer to make it fit the old form factor. An alkaline AA tends to last not as long as a class D dry cell though. Not many new toys / tools use the D-size - it is more like going obsolete: low power devices usually don't need that much capacity and higher power devices tend to use rechargibles.

Even with just an external battery, this makes it tricky to keep the isolation barrier with an extra cable / connector.
I try to buy things that only use rechargeable, D or C cells as much as possible.  I just hate spending the price of a D cell on a AAA and those 9V batteries are outrageous for the amount of energy in them.  TV remotes suck.

I guess if the OP is logging data in a CAT IV OR CAT III environment, then isolation might be a thing.  Otherwise I'm not sure having a couple of thin wires coming out the back of the meter represents a huge risk.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2022, 07:58:09 pm »
9V batteries are my favorite small alkaline, they rarely leak because they have a double casing. NiMH has been good enough for around 15 years though that I generally consider alkaline batteries obsolete.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2022, 12:48:33 pm »
Unless the 9V alkaline leaks I would use it for a DMM. The 9V battery in my Fluke 87V lasts a long time. Rechargeable is very likely to be dead whenever you need to use it.

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2022, 01:02:02 pm »
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2022, 01:31:16 pm »
You can try this DIY solution
https://www.mydigit.cn/thread-163962-1-1.html
Solution to what?

And that is the first time in more than 60 years that I have seen the output from a power supply come out of the base of a transistor.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2022, 03:06:26 pm »
Unless the 9V alkaline leaks I would use it for a DMM. The 9V battery in my Fluke 87V lasts a long time. Rechargeable is very likely to be dead whenever you need to use it.

Maybe with old technology rechargeables, but modern ones whether Ni-MH LSD, or Li-ion, are much better. As I already said, my F87V lasts at least 6 months on a charge with a Znter 600mAh Li-ion.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2022, 07:30:00 pm »

Why would it be dead? As I said earlier. I've been using rechargeable 9V batteries in my Fluke 87 for years, they work fine, the modern ones are all LSD, you can leave it in the drawer for a year and pull it out and the battery won't be dead.

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2022, 10:18:37 pm »

Why would it be dead? As I said earlier. I've been using rechargeable 9V batteries in my Fluke 87 for years, they work fine, the modern ones are all LSD, you can leave it in the drawer for a year and pull it out and the battery won't be dead.

Which rechargeable 9V do you use?
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2022, 11:57:57 pm »
Which rechargeable 9V do you use?

I have several different types, EBL, Bakth, Tenergy, Thunderbolt (Harbor Freight), and some others, all NiMH. They all seem to be pretty similar.

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2022, 01:40:30 am »
There may be some mistakes in the schematic diagram, but the point is that it has no switch, and it is 3.6V-4.2V boosted to 9V, which can be used instead of a 9v battery
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2022, 02:03:20 am »
I moved from NiMH to these about 4 years ago : https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/24926/lp702235-bp1.html

I use them in everything now. Meters, Shure wireless beltpack, toys...

I spent years fighting with NiMH and the Powerex LSD 9.6V were the best, but not a patch on these lithium units for lifetime and reliability. They are a "nominal 8.4V", and all my devices work and give me sufficient low battery warning to swap them before they cut off.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2022, 04:51:50 am »
I highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Rechargeable-Batteries-Battery-Lithium-ion/dp/B08HRXHKQV

Any experience with these?:

- https://www.amazon.com/EBL-USB-Rechargeable-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B086GTFGPP

(the 5400mWh rating on them ciphers out to the same 600mAh as you linked to).  If they work as well, I'd rather not have to make room for yet another charger - especially one that only handles 9V batteries.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf