Author Topic: Recommend a general purpose all round handheld DMM?  (Read 5589 times)

Offline TrackerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Recommend a general purpose all round handheld DMM?
« on: January 25, 2020, 07:32:01 pm »
Hi Folks,
I'm looking to get a fairly decent all round DMM for repairs and projects.
For years I've been using a range of sub €50 meters, from Uni-T to Vichy but now I want something more reliable, accurate and feature packed.
I have accurate bench equipment such as 34401A and others, but these are not always as handy as a nice hand held DMM.

Budget is about €250 which probably rules out top end Fluke's etc, but I'm open to any brand so long as it's quality.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Recommend a general purpose all round handheld DMM?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:39:10 pm »
Daves BM235 that you can get from moderator Simons shop in the UK.
https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product-category/eevblog/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 07:51:15 pm »
Thanks, I'll check out BM235.
I was hoping for something a but more feature rich, dual display etc.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 08:00:05 pm »
I want something more reliable, accurate and feature packed....Suggestions?

The Keysight range of meters are loaded with features and certainly worthy of consideration.   :-DMM   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:22:39 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:45 pm »
I agree about the Keysight meters. At least you can expect A-brand service without the Fluke pricing. When looking for a new handheld DMM I ended up with one from Keysight.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jack-daniels

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:05:17 pm »

Brymen BM869s?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 08:35:36 pm »
Interesting,
The Keysight U1250 Series have great specs with 4.5 digit and 50,000 count but priced at about €500
Whereas the Beymen 869s seems to have similar spec but at only €207, hard not to ignore that price difference which is on budget !

General feeling about the Brymen? I see Joe Smith seems to use one as his daily driver, it can't be too bad?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 08:46:19 pm »
Interesting,
The Keysight U1250 Series have great specs with 4.5 digit and 50,000 count but priced at about €500
Whereas the Beymen 869s seems to have similar spec but at only €207, hard not to ignore that price difference which is on budget !

General feeling about the Brymen? I see Joe Smith seems to use one as his daily driver, it can't be too bad?

I was hoping for something a but more feature rich, dual display etc.

The BM869s doesn't have a dual display however I recently did show some of the meters I have looked at that support it.  I skipped over the repair section. 

https://youtu.be/mzBDgxkO3HE?t=1319

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:51:51 pm »
For years I've been using a range of sub €50 meters, from Uni-T to Vichy but now I want something more reliable, accurate and feature packed.

That will make absolutely no difference for the given purpose.  You might be a victim of some marketing hype.  :-X

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:07:34 pm »

That will make absolutely no difference for the given purpose.  You might be a victim of some marketing hype.  :-X

Thanks Joe,
I don't doubt you for one second, but I see Brymen claim dual display... perhaps it's because it's not full dual display but pseud-dual which only shows frequency and some other limited range of parameters?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:06 pm »

[/quote]
Perhaps there is something but my UT61e has terrible terminals which starting to weaken loose grip, so I'm not in love with it anymore.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 09:26:14 pm »

Thanks Joe,
I don't doubt you for one second, but I see Brymen claim dual display... perhaps it's because it's not full dual display but pseud-dual which only shows frequency and some other limited range of parameters?

Yes, I guess we could call it a quasi multi-display.  For example, you can display frequency and voltage.  I like that it can display two temperatures.    If you watch the video, you can get a better idea of what some of these real multi-display units can do and how they can save you time.  It really depends on what you are looking for.    Running a lot of meters side by side can be a pain which is why I left out the Gossen.   

I know people on this site are really down on CEM but I have one that I've been using I think for 8 years now and I do like that tri-display.   

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 09:27:04 pm »
Thanks Joe,

Well, Truck,
If we are going to go that nickname petting way, please let me say it once again:
You might be a victim of some marketing hype, or maybe you might just need another pair of better probes.
 ^-^
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:28:35 pm by RoGeorge »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:14 pm »
Woops, my quote error obviously but you guys figured it out.

Cheers!

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 10:41:51 pm »
Whoops here, too, so I understand the Joe answer was about answering to "joeqsmith".

My bad, sorry, if so then no offense taken, I apologize.   ;D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 10:47:59 pm »
It's all good.
Meanwhile I'm looking at the Brymen... might be the one.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:46 pm »
I would argue that the 869s or 867s are better meters overall, but they come at a price - size.  In the form factor, it's tough to beat the BM235 in my opinion.

There's the 121GW that is feature packed for the size and in that general price bracket as well.

And I don't know what the argument for the 869s not having dual display is?  I have an 867s and it displays two distinct things just fine in quite a few modes.... it may not be fully configurable to the degree some want, but I use the DC/AC display mode frequently and it definitely displays both, albeit with a slower update rate.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:07 am »
I would argue that the 869s or 867s are better meters overall, but they come at a price - size.  In the form factor, it's tough to beat the BM235 in my opinion.

There's the 121GW that is feature packed for the size and in that general price bracket as well.

And I don't know what the argument for the 869s not having dual display is?  I have an 867s and it displays two distinct things just fine in quite a few modes.... it may not be fully configurable to the degree some want, but I use the DC/AC display mode frequently and it definitely displays both, albeit with a slower update rate.

No argument.  Crest and Rec requires the user to cycle through the values rather than using the second display area.   It's always best just to read the manual, before you send your money.     

A few cases where I would recommend the 121 are 1) you want to support Dave, 2) you like the EEVBLog logo, 3) you like playing with your meter and testing firmware, 4) you like the color blue

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 01:43:17 am »
There's a Keysight U1272A available 'used' from the Keysight store on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Used-U1272A-DMM-handheld-30-000-counts-true-RMS-Agilent-/193314004378?hash=item2d02699d9a

Asiking price is $217.25 and I bet they'd accept an offer of $200.  It's available from Amazon for $465.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 08:36:18 am »
I have a few keysight u1252b and they’re my go to meter. I keep one in my toolbag that goes everywhere with me.

At the workbench I have a u1282 and several flukes, but the 1252 is the go to meter.

Don’t go for one with OLED. Some people have good life out of them, others don’t.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 09:49:42 am »
A few cases where I would recommend the 121 are 1) you want to support Dave, 2) you like the EEVBLog logo, 3) you like playing with your meter and testing firmware, 4) you like the color blue

Unfortunately that meter was released way too prematurely IMO, definitely not for me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 10:06:32 am »
There's a Keysight U1272A available 'used' from the Keysight store on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Used-U1272A-DMM-handheld-30-000-counts-true-RMS-Agilent-/193314004378?hash=item2d02699d9a

Asiking price is $217.25 and I bet they'd accept an offer of $200.  It's available from Amazon for $465.

Thanks, but unfortunately they wont ship to Europe.  :'(

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 10:06:48 am »

5) you like the 15V diode test voltage.
6)you like the low burden voltage (with the disadvantage of higher offset errors)
7) you like the VA mode (which is limited to DC and implemented in a wrong way, no compare to a Gossen Energy)
8) you like to deal with hardware flaws and lots of software flaws.
(Number 8 is converted to a   8) from the forum software  :-DD)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:12:25 am by chronos42 »

The following users thanked this post: Tracker

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 10:23:38 am »
There's a Keysight U1272A available 'used' from the Keysight store on eBay.

There was also a Keysight U1273A in the forums classified section just the other day but I think it has gone already, the OP should monitor this section regularly as something is bound to turn up sooner or later.

Buy/ Sell/ Wanted.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/

The following users thanked this post: Tracker

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 10:26:24 am »
It would probably be helpful if you provided a list of the top features/functions that you will be using on a daily basis.  I can also tell you that it's not always in your best interest to simply take people's recommendations without doing research yourself and weighing the information you've gathered.

Specific aspects of test equipment matter more to some people than others and there just simply isn't the perfect device that will make everyone happy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf