Author Topic: Recommendations please for a scope for analyzing ignition systems  (Read 5480 times)

Offline FastBikeGearTopic starter

Hi guys I am afte a scope that will allow me to see the wave forms from inductive pick ups, primary coil voltage and HT voltage.

(Maybe I don't need to look directly at HT side of coil as this voltage will be reflected back into primary side any way?)

I want something relatively simple and quick to use, but I am on a limited budget, as I will only have occasional use for this scope. I have one particular motorbike with an ignition problem that is driving me nuts. Not sure if is pick up problem, ignition module issue or coil/HT issue.

Finally think I need to buy scope to see what is happening.

Also need advice on what probes I will need?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:23:15 am by FastBikeGear »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Recommendations please for dope for analyzing ignition systems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:26:01 am »
One of the best things i can recommend is to use magnetic coupling of the signals where the amplitude would otherwise exceed the spec of the scopes front end, ignition systems are rarely operating fast enough that you can not get most of the required time based information from wrapping a wire around a current carrying wire then measuring across its ends with a scope, (A large number of scopes can only take 400V peak - peak up to a few dozen Khz)

also, 2 minimum, when your trying to figure out what segment of a system is playing up, being able to easily compare to the previous stage's output can quickly resolve where a fault is originating,

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:04 am »
hantek is making a 8 channel USB scope designed specifically for car  repair shops and it's affordable. the model is Hantek 1008C.
they have a variety of probes - basicaly covering all engine types (gasoline with spark plugs, diesel with EM and piezo injectors...), and the software comes with some pre-sets for various scenarios.
i'm not able to compare it to another products because this is the only automotive scope i had in my hands (a friend of mine bought one and asked me to teach him to use the scope).

Re: Recommendations please for a scope for analyzing ignition systems
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:32:34 am »
Reroute many thanks for that. I had been wondering if that would work.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
hantek is making a 8 channel USB scope designed specifically for car  repair shops and it's affordable. the model is Hantek 1008C.

Thanks Rob that looks like quite a good solution for me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:07:43 pm by FastBikeGear »

Offline Leadfootin

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »
I have a Fluke 97 automotive scope meter which seems to suit the purpose. Only two channels though.

Offline obd.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:58 pm »
If you want something really good, find yourself an older 2 channel picoscope.  ( i have the 4 ch. but then its my job)
 it doesnt have to be an automotive one apparantly, and the pico forum will be helpful for your questions/you can share the data captures with others around the world, for help.
Hope this helps :-+

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »
If you want something really good, find yourself an older 2 channel picoscope.  ( i have the 4 ch. but then its my job)
 it doesnt have to be an automotive one apparantly, and the pico forum will be helpful for your questions/you can share the data captures with others around the world, for help.
Hope this helps :-+

actually it can be any scope which can do 100+k samples per second... but with an automotive scope you get the necessary probes and adapters. for example -  just clamp the correct probe around the HV ignition cable, select the appropriate preset in the software and you'll see the result in no time...
with a regular scope you'll need to figure out how to connect the inputs (how to couple HV ? current ?), and actually how to interpret what you see.... 

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:50:58 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys I have ordered a Hantek 1008C. Cheap enough to take a risk and possibly get frustrated and learn what I really need/want in a future unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf