Author Topic: Recommended second value of a Rigol DS1054Z scope  (Read 2136 times)

Offline MauriceSTopic starter

• Contributor
Recommended second value of a Rigol DS1054Z scope
« on: April 13, 2021, 11:58:16 pm »
I can buy a DS1054Z scope locally on craigslist - what would be a good value for a used model? Depending on included probes etc...

How can i best test it? I do have a low power digital signal generator available...

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommended second value of a Rigol DS1054Z scope
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:05:10 am »
Well, you can buy a new one from tequipment for $328, so it would have to be less than that  :-//

You can test it well enough with just the probe calibrator.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:09:28 am »
From what I've seen on ebay, used Rigols sell for as as much or more than a brand new one, doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I guess some people are not aware of Tequipment. I think they're so cheap to begin with that there isn't much room for the price to drop.

Offline gtm

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:14:09 am »
From what I've seen on ebay, used Rigols sell for as as much or more than a brand new one, doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I guess some people are not aware of Tequipment. I think they're so cheap to begin with that there isn't much room for the price to drop.
True. Very difficult to find a bargain. For me, paying much more than 60% of the brand new price doesn't make much sense, unless you know is in mint condition.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:19:57 am »
I would offer $250. I think an easy cash transaction compares favorably with of the hassle of creating an ebay auction, packing and shipping it, dealing with a potential problematic buyer, the ebay fees, waiting for your money...

$200 is too little; $300 is too close to a brand-new unit.

While you're checking it out see if it has been hacked already. It's easy to do yourself, but it's a small bonus if it's already been done.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 01:30:58 am »
I believe that the price of a used good should be at most 60% of the new one.. So $200

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 03:41:25 am »
That sounds reasonable to me, but from what I've seen they sell for more than that. I haven't really been looking for them but I did see two different used ones sell on ebay for *more* than the cost of a brand new one from Tequipment. Like it or not, ebay sales pretty much set the value, although ebay takes about a 20% cut so that must be accounted for.

Offline highpower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 05:24:24 am »
Something that weighed heavily in my last scope purchase decision:

Buying new from TEquipment meant no sales tax, free shipping directly to my door, and it came with a three year warranty.
Peace of mind is worth something too for some people. Just saying...  :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 06:58:00 am »
I miss the days of no sales tax on online purchases, my state requires online sellers to collect tax now. Technically you were supposed to pay the tax before too but I've never heard of anyone actually doing that.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 11:01:06 am »
My experience with the people who advertise on Craigslist has been this:  They buy things from China brand new at discount and want to sell them for a profit, so you will not be saving much over buying direct from China and waiting for you package.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:24 pm »
From what I've seen on ebay, used Rigols sell for as as much or more than a brand new one

Are they selling for that...Or are they just listed for that?  In my experience, people selling their "like new" equipment are unrealistic dopes.  I've seen it in so many areas too.

You have to ask yourself...Do I really know how they treated it?  AND...A question which has a definite answer...Will the seller give the same warranty as the retailer?....NO.

Given that a brand new unit, as mentioned, sells for $328 I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a used one in excellent condition.  A brand new one is BRAND NEW, never used, and comes with a warranty.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 02:09:57 pm »
I can buy a DS1054Z scope locally on craigslist - what would be a good value for a used model? Depending on included probes etc...

I'd say $250 for a really nice one.

How can i best test it? I do have a low power digital signal generator available...

Just connect all four channels to the nearest mains socket, make sure the sine wave is clearly visible on each one.

No, wait, you're supposed to connect the probes to the calibration signal and make sure it's 1kHz and approx 3V.

You have to ask yourself...Do I really know how they treated it?

Yep. Worry much less about the 'scope and a lot more about the previous owner. Are they the sort who used it with Arduinos or are they the sort who'd do the "Mains Socket Test" the same minute they unboxed it?

Check if all the little spring things and accessories are present and correct, not because they're valuable but because they show that the owner cared.

Original packaging is also a sure sign that the owner is the sort of person you should be buying from.

Car analogy: Look at the paperwork and service history before you start the engine and take it for a test drive.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:11:44 pm by Fungus »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 07:25:17 pm »
Are they selling for that...Or are they just listed for that?  In my experience, people selling their "like new" equipment are unrealistic dopes.  I've seen it in so many areas too.

You have to ask yourself...Do I really know how they treated it?  AND...A question which has a definite answer...Will the seller give the same warranty as the retailer?....NO.

Selling for that, these were auctions and the price got bid up over what a brand new one would have cost.
Ebay makes it really annoying to try to look at sold listings now so you'll probably have to jump through some hoops to actually see them but here's one that sold for $305 + $35 shipping, so $340.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGOL-DS1054Z-4-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope-Excellent-Condition-/174711392548?

This one sold for $309 + $57.15 shipping so $366.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-DS1054Z-Digital-Oscilloscope-4-channel-UPGRADED-SOFTWARE-100-MHz-/373481981349

Here's one that sold for $287 + $41.45 shipping, so $328.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGOL-DS1054Z-4-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope-Four-Probes-All-Options-100MHz-/143972078139

$265 + $19.60 shipping so $284
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGOL-DS1054Z-4-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope-Excellent-/114711132461

5 sold at $470?!?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-DS1054Z-50-Mhz-4-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope-WE-EXPORT/282412250159

This is the cheapest one I found, listed at $200, best offer was accepted, so we don't know what the actual selling price was but it was under $200, plus $41.45 shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGOL-DS1054Z-4-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope-/353365434178

Doesn't make sense to me and with possible exception of that last one none of these strike me as any sort of bargain but that's what happened. Never hurts to offer a price you think is reasonable though, the worst that can happen is they say no and you can always go out and order a brand new one. Personally having seen what they tend to sell for on ebay I see little reason to play that game, it's easier to just order a new one from Tequipment.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 07:47:52 pm »
And if you don't specifically have to have a DS1054Z, don't forget that you can get a GW Instek GDS-1054B, arguably a better scope, for only $292 new.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 08:02:17 pm »
From what I've seen the used oscilloscope market is nuts right now for whatever reason, covid driven boredom driving up demand I guess. Like forget finding the $50 20+ MHz 2 channel analog scopes that used to be easy to score, nevermind a used DSO at a reasonable price.

Offline highpower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »
I miss the days of no sales tax on online purchases, my state requires online sellers to collect tax now. Technically you were supposed to pay the tax before too but I've never heard of anyone actually doing that.

Same here. But in this particular instance they are advertising that they (TEquipment) will pay the sales tax for you on this specific item if you use the promo code.
https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1054Z/Digital-Oscilloscopes/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 10:21:40 pm »
From what I've seen the used oscilloscope market is nuts right now for whatever reason, covid driven boredom driving up demand I guess. Like forget finding the $50 20+ MHz 2 channel analog scopes that used to be easy to score, nevermind a used DSO at a reasonable price.

Maybe it's a good time to sell my TDS300 scopes that are in need of calibration. It's been bugging me wanting to get those completely finished but I certainly don't need them, I should probably pass the torch.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 10:25:19 pm »
Doesn't make sense to me and with possible exception of that last one none of these strike me as any sort of bargain but that's what happened. Never hurts to offer a price you think is reasonable though, the worst that can happen is they say no and you can always go out and order a brand new one. Personally having seen what they tend to sell for on ebay I see little reason to play that game, it's easier to just order a new one from Tequipment.
And sell it on Ebay with a profit  :-DD Buy 10 scopes and get one for free.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:23 pm »
And sell it on Ebay with a profit  :-DD Buy 10 scopes and get one for free.

Probably could, but honestly I think if I wanted to find a side gig to pay for a Rigol scope, I'd be better off taking a job at McDonalds or something for a week or so. Selling on ebay and dealing with idiots and shipping and all that is a lot of work and not very much fun.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 02:03:48 am »
I have bought second hand equipment but I sure don't recommend it.  When you figure out how much to offer, see how far away it is from the brand new, with warranty, price.

I just don't trust users, I have no idea how badly they have abused the equipment.

From what I see on eBay, the used price is just about the same as the new price.  That's good news is I ever want to upgrade.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 05:17:08 am »
I buy pretty much exclusively secondhand equipment, it has worked out very well for me, but I like older formerly high end stuff, I don't own any Chinese gear other than stuff like the little $20 component tester and other small gadgets. I don't depend on it to make a living though, I do use my gear but for the most part I think I get more enjoyment out of bringing a neglected instrument back up to snuff and collecting interesting gear that I dreamed about owning back in the day but could never have afforded when it was new.

If a person just wants a modestly priced scope to use, doesn't need more than about 100-200MHz and doesn't want to tinker with it, it's hard to go wrong with something like a Rigol, Siglent or other new budget instrument.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf