Author Topic: Recondition IGBT test approach  (Read 470 times)

Offline ow19mTopic starter

• Contributor
Recondition IGBT test approach
« on: May 29, 2022, 05:56:51 am »
Hello to all ,
I need 4 single IGBT's modules for testing purposes which could possibly blow during tests and trials , so without taking risks , Im getting my self some recondition IGBT modules that look absolutely fine and are a bit cheap , I was wondering if someone could advice me ways to test the performance and life expectancy of these IGBT's (for knowledge purposes) or stress analysis is my only option ? by the way its a FZ800R12KE3 Infinion module.

Thanks , 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:36:21 am by ow19m »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Recondition IGBT test approach
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:20:20 pm »
Hi,

On the first thoughts I would test some of the points from the datasheet.
Like on/off time, leakage current and "breakdown" voltage, close as possible.
We´re manufacturing power inverter/converter which running thousands of working hours and we´re servicing them also.
My experiences with used IGBTs are more or less "digital"  - Either they work or don´t.
Most defectives are short circuit between C-E, followed by dead gates (rare).
When I´m testing IGBTs I use a circuit I´ve created for building a static switch for (resistive) loadsteps, see pic below - much better than simply using a multimeter.
Of course you could use simply a generator directly connected (via gate resistor) to the IGBT.
But I won´t trust the output of the gen because of the gate-capacitance of the IGBT.
Plus you won´t have a galvanic isolation when supplying the IGBT with higher voltage.
Breakdown voltage I would test with an isolation megger, when no dedicated high voltage supply is avaible.

Martin

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:30:25 pm by Martin72 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf