Author Topic: Refusing delivery from AliExpress?  (Read 14681 times)

Offline iXodTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Refusing delivery from AliExpress?
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:09:07 am »
Has anyone here (I’m in USA) refused a delivery from AliExpress? I use the term “refused” because that’s the proper terminology the Postal Service uses. Apparently any addressee can refuse delivery and the package will be returned to the sender.

I don’t have to pay for this service, it’s a right of all domestic addressees as long as the package is not opened.

I’ve changed my mind about a power supply I ordered. The product description says returns are accepted providing return shipping is paid by the buyer.

I haven’t contacted the seller yet, I thought I’d get a little history from the EEV group first.

Does refusing delivery result in a no-cost (for either of us) return trip back to the seller? If so, this saves me a lot and meets the seller’s requirements.

Looking for the benefit of anyone who’s been here before.

Thanks.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Refusing delivery from AliExpress?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 04:37:50 am »
You can refuse and it will be sent back to the sender (may be, it is not clear what USPS does with the packages like that), but you won't get a refund. You still need a valid reason to request a refund, and "I changed my mind" is not one of them.

The reason they accept returns as long as you pay shipping is that they know that you won't do it, since shipping anything from the US to China is prohibitively expensive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:41:05 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 04:38:18 am »
The major possibility of problem here comes from the return address on the package.
If the return address is not correct, and if the package gets lost, and if you did not coordinate with the seller, then it might be your fault
Returns possible does not mean you can return at the wrong address or without discussing first

Beside that, yeah it should work.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:42:17 am »
I’ve changed my mind ...

Bottom line is, you are aware that this, oneway or another, will cost you something, right ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:46:55 am by BravoV »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 04:52:08 am »
Bottom line is, you are aware that this, oneway or another, will cost you something, right ?
What makes you say that? I will have to contact the seller, but if they are agreeable why should it cost anything?

Or are you just having a laugh?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:53:51 am »
What makes you say that? I will have to contact the seller, but if they are agreeable why should it cost anything?
Sure, but why would they agree? They will lose at least what they paid for the shipping. Plus they risk that it will be lost on a way back. There is no reason for them to agree to that.
Alex

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:20 am »

Or are you just having a laugh?

Not laughing at all, its just this made me wonder, who will bear the s/h cost back ?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 04:58:33 am »
Not laughing at all, its just this made me wonder, who will bear the s/h cost back ?
If you refuse the delivery, it in theory will be shipped back to the sender. Postal service will cover the cost of that, it is already factored in as a part of the original shipping fee.

But that is a theory. It works for domestic shipments, for sure, but I'm not sure it works for international shipments at all. Especially if the thing was shipped with no real tracking number through strange shipping companies to optimize the cost.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: uski

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 05:01:21 am »
If you refuse the delivery, it in theory will be shipped back to the sender. Postal service will cover the cost of that, it is already factored in as a part of the original shipping fee.

But that is a theory. It works for domestic shipments, for sure, but I'm not sure it works for international shipments at all. Especially if the thing was shipped with no real tracking number through strange shipping companies to optimize the cost.

Yes this is exactly my point above. Many shipping companies consolidate the packages and the return address you see on the package WILL NOT return the product to the seller.
If that is the case and if the package is refused, the package can get lost and yes it will obviously be the fault of the buyer. No refund and no product !

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 05:02:43 am »

Hence the reason for my post. Hoping to find someone who has done this exact thing...

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 05:06:12 am »
It is also not clear how exactly you will refuse it. The only way to do it is to have signature requested. And I don't think anyone has ever requested a signature shipping from China.

Otherwise USPS will just drop off the package at your doorstep and be done with it.

There won't be anyone who has done this, since the whole scheme makes no logical sense. There is zero reasons for the sender to agree to this, even if you'll find a way to refuse the package.
Alex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 05:14:03 am »
Enough philosophy. I can do that.

If you haven't returned an Aliexpress shipment (via "Refuse shipment"), please don't contribute any more speculation. It doesn't help.

Thanks.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 05:28:32 am »

Even it works for international shipment, the matter of shipping it back just because of the buyer changed his mind, only applicable when the seller already factored into the purchase price such as big online shops in US.

Pretty confident the typical Aliexpress sellers that probably making just cents in the deal, capable to absorb that.  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:12 am »
I don't need any help speculating.

If you haven't returned an Aliexpress shipment (via "Refuse shipment"), please don't contribute any more speculation. It doesn't help.

Thanks.

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 06:04:50 am »
I have not yet returned an Aliexpress shipment (via "Refuse shipment"), but I will still contribute.

The issue is that international returns are not free. In Germany, for example, you have the choice to select what happens if an outgoing intl. shipment is being rejected at the recipient:

1. It will be destroyed/auctioned (free)
2. You agree to pay fees. (blanket)

(2) can get very expensive, usually 30EUR+ even for small shipments.

Bottom line - "Refuse Shipment" will not result in a free return for international shipments. It does, as you say, typically work well for national shipments.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 06:33:59 am »
You might find a USPS information line, call them, and ask them your question. They should have the actual skinny on what happens to your particular scenario on the US side.

Remember that Aliexpress already has your money as an escrow agent, and they are the final arbitrator as to whether you get a refund if you and the seller don't reach an agreement. They are fair in resolving disputes, in my experience, once you get a real person involved. The initial rulings are clearly automated and designed to make sure you and the seller have jumped through the required hoops first. I do not think they will be impressed with your plan as a valid excuse for a refund, unless the seller agrees. Also, don't be surprised if the return shipping cost exceeds the cost of the item if it actually is returned or equals the cost of the item if it's destroyed in lieu of return shipping approval -- in which case you also don't get a refund.

The following users thanked this post: Miti, Someone

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 07:13:02 am »
I have had a packet returned to a Chinese shop, not due to refusing it, but because I never got the custom invoice.
When I contacted the shop to ask about the packet they told me it was returned and they would refund some of my money (They deduct shipping and a bit more). The refund was not to my account, but simple to my account in the shop and would be deducted from my next purchase.

The key items:
1) I had to contact the shop to get a refund
2) I did not get all the money back
3) The money was not really returned, but could be subtracted from the next purchase.

Other vendors may, of course, do it different.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 07:17:16 am »
I don't know why you think that if it's returned nobody has lost money on the deal? 

Do you think that the postal carriers say "oh well, the recipient didn't want it, so we brought it all the way back to China at no cost, and here is all your money back you paid for the shipping too".

When I ship stuff out internationally the form requires a tick to indicate if the package should be destroyed or returned at my cost if it can not be delivered.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 07:21:19 am »
The discussion is all about exploiting this kind of loophole, lets see how the OP ended up.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 07:47:46 am »
The discussion is all about exploiting this kind of loophole, lets see how the OP ended up.
It is not a loophole, it is mandated by law in the EU. As a buyer, you have 30 days 2 weeks, to change your mind for an online purchase, and to send back, or refuse the delivery of something. And there cannot be "restocking fee" or "we wil lstill make money on your purchase fee". It would be nice, if other countries would follow, and you all wouldn't slander OP.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:51:37 am by NANDBlog »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 07:49:36 am »
and to send back
Who pays the shipping on that? The buyer? The seller?

Because in this case you also have the right to pay the shipping and return the item.

OP tries to get out of paying the return shipping.
Alex

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 07:51:18 am »
It is not a loophole, it is mandated by law in the EU. As a buyer, you have 30 days to change your mind for an online purchase, and to send back, or refuse the delivery of something. And there cannot be "restocking fee" or "we wil lstill make money on your purchase fee". It would be nice, if other countries would follow, and you all wouldn't slander OP.

I guess you're not realizing that most EU merchandises have "higher" price tag from the mark up to accomodate that ?  :-//

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 07:56:35 am »
and to send back
Who pays the shipping on that? The buyer? The seller?

Because in this case you also have the right to pay the shipping and return the item.

OP tries to get out of paying the return shipping.

Getting a refund
The trader must give you a refund within 14 days of receiving your cancellation request. However, they can delay refunding you if they haven't received the goods or evidence that you've returned them.

Your refund must include any shipping charges you paid when you made your purchase. However, the trader may charge you delivery costs if you specifically requested non-standard delivery (such as express delivery).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 07:56:52 am »
OP, RTFM:
https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/v8Yr8f629D.htm?spm=a2g0o.ams_81407.1000001.2.7e63TXhETXhEiD

Personally IMO you have entered a contract and to break it is not without cost, may it be monetary or some bad feedback.
YMMV
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 07:58:05 am »
Your refund must include any shipping charges you paid when you made your purchase.
This is for the original shipping to you. Who pays for the return shipping?
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf