Author Topic: Refusing delivery from AliExpress?  (Read 14230 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Refusing delivery from AliExpress?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:38 am »
OP, RTFM:
This is a wonderful read, I wonder if it works like this in practice.

I recently had somewhat expensive order not delivered, so I decided to use the AliExpress buyer's protection program and requested a refund. This was justified, since the tracking number they provided never left the country of origin, so local post was not to blame.

Well, it did not work out exactly as expected. I've got a refund for about half the order. The system for some reason asks you to enter the amount you want to refund (all of it, always), and does not let you enter the number higher than some random number. Without doing that you are not even getting the request in, and once you do that number you are essentially committed to it.

I tried to ask where did this number come from, and they quickly went into the language barrier mode.

I just agreed to get whatever I could and moved on with my life. But I can't say I was entirely satisfied with the process.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:23 am »
Has anyone here (I’m in USA) refused a delivery from AliExpress? I use the term “refused” because that’s the proper terminology the Postal Service uses. Apparently any addressee can refuse delivery and the package will be returned to the sender.

I don’t have to pay for this service, it’s a right of all domestic addressees as long as the package is not opened.

That doesn't mean the post office has to send a heavy package all the way back to China for free.

The key word is: "domestic". For domestic mail the cost of the returns is built into the price of the postage stamps.

International? Not a chance. Most likely they'll dump/destroy it.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 10:59:46 am »
It is not a loophole, it is mandated by law in the EU.

Yeah, I'm sure that the random Aliexpress seller in Shanghai is real worried about about any supposed EU law.  Their concern about right-to-return is probably right up there with their concern about CE compliance.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 11:08:41 am »
OP, RTFM:

I recently had somewhat expensive order not delivered, so I decided to use the AliExpress buyer's protection program and requested a refund. This was justified, since the tracking number they provided never left the country of origin, so local post was not to blame.

Well, it did not work out exactly as expected. I've got a refund for about half the order. The system for some reason asks you to enter the amount you want to refund (all of it, always), and does not let you enter the number higher than some random number. Without doing that you are not even getting the request in, and once you do that number you are essentially committed to it.

I tried to ask where did this number come from, and they quickly went into the language barrier mode.

I just agreed to get whatever I could and moved on with my life. But I can't say I was entirely satisfied with the process.
Aliexpress is pretty good, far better than poxy Epay where a seller can cancel your purchase if they feel like they might have sold it for more. Some Ahole seller did that to me a little while back on a P6021 current probe that I'd sniped for a what I thought was a fair price but instead the hungry Ahole pulled the plug and wouldn't go through with the sale. Prick !

Had stuff not turn up from Aliexpress but the resent item was received and I particularly like the concept of how Escrow holds your funds until you confirm receipt of goods.

IMHO the Aliexpress platform is too good to abuse.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:58 pm »
Your refund must include any shipping charges you paid when you made your purchase.
This is for the original shipping to you. Who pays for the return shipping?
I'm not sure. By the looks of it, you have to pay for the shipping back yourself.

It is not a loophole, it is mandated by law in the EU.

Yeah, I'm sure that the random Aliexpress seller in Shanghai is real worried about about any supposed EU law.  Their concern about right-to-return is probably right up there with their concern about CE compliance.

I'm sure they dont care. As 95% of the people of the world doesnt seem to care, that we are actively making living on this planet more and more miserable for everyone.

Offline iXodTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Reply from seller: “Return item to AliExpress US warehouse and initiate a dispute. Your money will be returned to you.”

A lot of questions in that statement, but also several answers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:52:56 pm by iXod »

Offline evac

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:08 pm »
Aliexpress is pretty good, far better than poxy Epay where a seller can cancel your purchase if they feel like they might have sold it for more. Some Ahole seller did that to me a little while back on a P6021 current probe that I'd sniped for a what I thought was a fair price but instead the hungry Ahole pulled the plug and wouldn't go through with the sale. Prick !

Had stuff not turn up from Aliexpress but the resent item was received and I particularly like the concept of how Escrow holds your funds until you confirm receipt of goods.

IMHO the Aliexpress platform is too good to abuse.

I've had the opposite experience and recently mostly switched to eBay for all my "far-east" purchases.

Bought an item worth ~€70, which was shipped by some generic Chinese shipping service that included tracking.
At some point, the tracking showed the item as delivered, although no package ever arrived. Checked with neighbors, was not left anywhere near the entrance, I receive countless packages at this address and never had an issue.
The tracking number is only valid on the company's tracking page, and is not recognized by the local post so I had no way to investigate what happened on my own.

Opened a dispute, seller stated that he would check with the shipping company but did not reply after several days (was expecting that), Aliexpress stepped in and after review sided with seller without even waiting or pushing the seller to provide additional information.

On one hand it's sort of expected that with the amount of orders they process they don't care too much about such types of complaints, but this wasn't exactly a cheap throw-away item so I was hoping for a bit more effort put into the review process.
eBay certainly has issues and for some items I can't find any other source than Aliexpress, but this experience left me quite scared of ordering anything of real value from there.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 12:31:26 am »
Reply from seller: “Return item to AliExpress US warehouse and initiate a dispute. Your money will be returned to you.”

A lot of questions in that statement, but also several answers.

As you can see, the seller and Aliexpress do everything possible for you. But usually when returning a parcel in a transaction with other countries where there is no Aliexpress warehouse, the money is returned only after the parcel is received back to the seller and the amount of non-return is deducted from the amount of delivery in both directions. I do not know the laws of the United States, I think they are similar to the laws of Russia, and we can return the product within 14 days without any reason, but at the expense of the buyer and if it was not unpacked. For the return of unpacked goods, the reason specified in the law is required.
And sorry for my English.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 12:43:51 am »
OP, RTFM:

If you do not receive the parcel, Aliexpress returns the money in full, but you should pay attention to the seller's obligations icon on the product page. Not all sellers agree to guarantee a full refund. By paying for the order, you automatically agree to the seller's terms and conditions. I have never been refused a full refund if the product is not delivered. But I very rarely buy something expensive on Aliexpress. You need to understand that the seller on Aliexpress can work as a builder or janitor, for example, and in the evening process orders, go buy them 2-3 times cheaper in the Chinese market and send them to you.
And sorry for my English.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 12:49:23 am »
Has anyone here (I’m in USA) refused a delivery from AliExpress? I use the term “refused” because that’s the proper terminology the Postal Service uses. Apparently any addressee can refuse delivery and the package will be returned to the sender.

I don’t have to pay for this service, it’s a right of all domestic addressees as long as the package is not opened.

I’ve changed my mind about a power supply I ordered. The product description says returns are accepted providing return shipping is paid by the buyer.

I haven’t contacted the seller yet, I thought I’d get a little history from the EEV group first.

Does refusing delivery result in a no-cost (for either of us) return trip back to the seller? If so, this saves me a lot and meets the seller’s requirements.

Looking for the benefit of anyone who’s been here before.

Thanks.

I'd suggest  you review Aliexpress rules on refusal and buyer protection.  I know that on eBay, refusing a package is the very worst thing a buyer can do.  No product and no refund is a common result.  Whether or not the return trip costs someone money isn't the question, it is whether Aliexpress is going to refund your money.  Or, if you are going to try to get a chargeback from your CC, whether being banned from Aliexpress is worth it.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline iXodTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 05:49:14 am »
What say all you nay-sayers just cool it with the doom-and-gloom? Every message from the seller has been guiding me to wait for the package and file a Dispute (and I can’t do this until 10 days have passed from the ship date). He is showing every sign of willingness.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2020, 06:39:00 am »
What say all you nay-sayers just cool it with the doom-and-gloom? Every message from the seller has been guiding me to wait for the package and file a Dispute (and I can’t do this until 10 days have passed from the ship date). He is showing every sign of willingness.

Naturally! You can't return something before you receive it! If for any reason you never receive the package, then this whole plan is moot and you must file a dispute for not received instead.

For now you can only wait until it either arrives or the shipping window is about to end. Which is anything from weeks to months, depending on what was promised.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2020, 08:20:55 am »
we can pick a brain... or the law (of what is possible), this can be a lesson to whoever want a lesson, buying from 1000 miles away is not the same as buying at the shop next door, esp anything that weigh more than say 100g or costs more than $50. more energy and work and tireness will be taking place. do very in depth study about the item, and pray 5x to ask for guidance and firm decision before hitting "buy it now" button, or else be ready for some calculated risk. but then we are free to not pick a brain. btw, any big and better online shops i registered will provide refund/return request reasons in the form of 2 types (1) item not received (2) item DOA or not as described, there is no (3) such as "i changed my mind". most sellers will try to fullfill the buyer's request personally however irrational the reason is even if they have to accept some loss. some buyers wont care some will do, that will depends on to what extend the Idiocracy concept developed or diminished inside one self. if i will advice to my younger self, or to my other young links... dont do that as a habit! you can make your first mistake, but take a lesson and do better next time, cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Demoratics

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2021, 10:34:40 am »
I stopped ordering from there when the delivery took 6 months to complete...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2021, 01:14:24 pm »

Yeah, because AliExpress is a single seller and every person who ever received their AliExpress  order safe and sound within a week was lying about that.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »

Yeah, because AliExpress is a single seller and every person who ever received their AliExpress  order safe and sound within a week was lying about that.

It's rare, but that actually that has happened! I once received an order in only 4 days. Most likely that vendor had stock in a FTZ warehouse, which meant there was no ocean to cross.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2021, 03:46:43 pm »
It's rare, but that actually that has happened! I once received an order in only 4 days. Most likely that vendor had stock in a FTZ warehouse, which meant there was no ocean to cross.

Aliexpress has been really fast for the last three or four months.

eg. Last Monday I received something that I ordered the Wednesday before. That's 5 days China->Spain.  :)

They also have a new system where they combine lots of packets into a single one that arrives faster because the postage costs get combined. eg. Order three things on the same day and they combine it into one upgraded packet.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2021, 07:07:16 pm »

eg. Last Monday I received something that I ordered the Wednesday before. That's 5 days China->Spain.  :)

They also have a new system where they combine lots of packets into a single one that arrives faster because the postage costs get combined. eg. Order three things on the same day and they combine it into one upgraded packet.
Same here. The last 2 months shipments from Aliexpress have been pretty quick in general. Say 2 weeks on average.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 07:53:55 pm »
the new VAT rules come into force on 1s July

Oh, I hadn't seen those...!

So from next month every last parcel will have VAT applied?  :o

Time to get ordering!

It might not be so bad though: There's a provision for the seller to add VAT during the payment process so they won't be able to sting people an extra 25 Euros per package for "handling fees".

They also won't be able to charge me 21% then ship it through Ireland and pocket the difference (eBay). I also might be able to get VAT invoices out of companies like Amazon. Win-win!

So long as I get a proper invoice then it's no biggie for me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 08:04:08 pm »

Quite the opposite here in NZ.
6-7 weeks is the new norm where once it was 2-3.

That our border are still closed to many parts of the world is the reason so the lack of airfreight space for parcel delivery so everything must come by sea and then put in the local postage system by local Aliexpress receivers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline gtm

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »

Time to get ordering!

It might not be so bad though: There's a provision for the seller to add VAT during the payment process so they won't be able to sting people an extra 25 Euros per package for "handling fees".

They also won't be able to charge me 21% then ship it through Ireland and pocket the difference (eBay). I also might be able to get VAT invoices out of companies like Amazon. Win-win!

So long as I get a proper invoice then it's no biggie for me.

Actually it's not so much the VAT that worries me. It's the big handling fees on 3€-5€ valued items: silicone grease, enammelled wire. Once the new system gets into place it probably won't be so bad. But if you can't wait and need to order don't delay, do it today!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:09:32 pm by gtm »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 08:05:40 pm »

More likely it was shipped out of their Spanish warehouse (they do have one there).

I am still waiting for a package ordered in March that is showing that the "package is ready for shipping". I guess something that never got sent but as the delivery window is until end of June, I have to wait with the dispute ...

I have had packages arrive in about 2 weeks the fastest, the usual time is about 3-4 weeks. Paradoxically it is worse if the is shipped from their French warehouse. Go figure ...

And re Ali and disputes - usually no problem and got things refunded when I (rarely) needed it but then recently I got sent "new and genuine" ICs that still had the original content from their previous application in them and were the wrong type (obviously relabeled). Ali rejected the dispute because apparently a dump showing that the chips are not the right size and contain someone else's data is not a sufficient evidence that the item is not as advertised and counterfeit ...  :wtf:

So it can be a crapshoot. I would hesitate to buy more expensive items from there, even more so now when the VAT on import rules in the EU are about to change from July and everything will have to go through customs and have VAT paid (looking forward to that chaos!).

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2021, 08:09:57 pm »
Actually it's not so much the VAT that worries me. It's the big handling fees on 3€-5€ valued items: silicone grease, enammelled wire. Once the new system gets into place it probably won't be so bad. But if you can't wait and need to order don't delay, do it today!

The VAT is not an issue for most things people order from China, that's pennies. The problem will be the aggravation with the extra paperwork and the filling fees slapped on it by the shippers if you let them handle it for you. E.g. DHL is charging about 20 euro custom filling fee, regardless of whether any customs are actually due. Simply for submitting the paperwork. So something like a box of PCBs from JLCPCB could suddenly get a heck lot more expensive ...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2021, 08:26:10 pm »

Probably not. Aliexpress will ship to the EU from a warehouse inside the EU. I already had several items shipped from a EU warehouse which got rid of dealing with VAT and resulted in faster delivery as well. If collecting tax on Chinese parcels was intended to help 'local' EU webshops then it failed miserably. Aliexpress seems to have adapted quickly and swiftly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf