Author Topic: Remove handle on Rigol DG1062  (Read 2635 times)

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Remove handle on Rigol DG1062
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:55 am »
I have a Rigol DG1062 Arbitrary Waveform Function Generator and I have a spot on my rack I'd like to put it but the handle makes it a bit too wide to fit so I have to ask if anyone has removed the handle from one of Rigols instruments that have the rotating handle.  There is enough room with the rubber bumpers and a bit more besides but with the handle in place I'm stuck by about 5mm.  It looks like the handle on my Rigol DM3058E is the same so I'd guess they use the same style handle on many/most of the instruments with rotating handles.  I can live with where it is now but moving it would permit me to better arrange my soldering stations.

Brian

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: Remove handle on Rigol DG1062
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:59:31 am »
I had a similar problem with my Rigol DM3068 Multimeter.
My resolution was a hacksaw...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:35:29 am »
Ouch, don't think I want to go that far.

I wonder if I opened it up if there isn't some screws inside that would permit me to remove it without resorting to surgery...

Brian
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:38:52 am by raptor1956 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:01:51 am »
I figured it out...

By rotating the handle around so that it's pointing straight up you can pull the handle out and off.  There is a tab on the handle and a notch in the chassis an when you rotate the handle straight up the tab and notch align and you can pull the handle off.  Not hacksaw required!

Brian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:56:05 am »
OK, so I removed the handles on both the DG1062Z and the DM3058E and have re-positioned the instruments as I wanted -- big improvement in ergonomics.

When I thought about pulling the covers off to remove the handles I started looking at EEVBLog #823 where Dave tears down a Rigol DSG815 RF Signal Generator and saw it had a handle much like the ones I have so I watched the video a bit --  he didn't show removing the handles but at one point the handles were clearly removed before the case was opened so I decided to have a closer look at the handles and discovered the tab and notch thing.

Brian

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:33:53 am »
Well done.
I couldn't be bothered.
As my unit will always be a bench mount piece of equipment, I will never need the handle.
If I need a portable multimeter I will just use one of my portable meters...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 07:56:56 am »
Yeah, for the DG1062Z Arbitrary Waveform Generator I can't imagine walking around with it so I wouldn't be as bummed cutting the handle off of it then I would with the DM3958E Bench Meter as I can imagine taking that with me on occasion.  Fortunately that wasn't needed.

So, at this point I have nearly finished with my lab and all I need now is some plastic storage boxes to hold the cables and leads and adapters -- should have that by early next week.  I'm still working on my overhead lighting (LED) but expect to be finished with that tomorrow or the next.  Made the light using 3 strips of 750mm strip LED's which draws just about 39W at 12V.  It is just 4 feet above my table/bench and with a dimmer I can adjust from just on at about 7V to a bit over the max suggested at 13V.  I have the LED strips adhered to some aluminum which should do a good job of pulling heat away so going to 13V should be ok though I don't figure on needing to.

Brian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf