Author Topic: Repair Fluke PM3384A Resets every 2-3 minutes after a 15 minute warm up?  (Read 717 times)

Offline mcconkeybTopic starter

• Contributor
My old PM3384A that I got used 15 years ago, has started a new behavior that is very annoying. After a 15 minute warm up, the scope does a power on reset, and then about every 2 -3 minutes after that, it does it again, and again, and again...

I'm looking for advice here. Is it worth troubleshooting this, or am I going to have to chase the rabbit down the hole only to find that it is not fixable? Or; is this a known problem with a known fix?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:30:11 am by coromonadalix »

Offline mcconkeybTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Repair Fluke PM3384A Resets every 2-3 minutes after a 15 minute warm up?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 10:41:16 am »
Yup, checking for leaky caps is on the to-do list. But there are a LOT of electrolytics in this thing, could be weeks of work and then what do I do if that is not the problem...

I'm going to assume that the voltages are (at least starting) OK, as it works for the first 15 minutes.
I don't have a thermal camera to track down any overheating issues... I could use my finger for a burn test, but I don't have enough experience with this piece of gear to know what is too hot, so I'll likely just end up with burnt fingers and no solutions. 

My biggest concern is having a bad ROM, with defective operating code. If this is the problem, then I have no possibility of fixing this unit...

Any thoughts on this welcomed!

PS. What is the best choice for a new low price scope? Is Siglent still the best bang for the buck?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf