Author Topic: Replacement Knobs, Feet and Fittings for Test Equipment  (Read 470079 times)

scopeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Re: Replacement Knobs, Feet and Fittings for Test Equipment
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2019, 10:11:54 am »
This the one I am trying to print...  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3546393

Glad you have your priorities right beanflying  :-+
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2019, 04:44:50 pm »
Give this version a try.  Opened up the file and it was pretty easy to extrude, though it loaded in with every individual feature as its own body.  Then loaded up the filled in version and the original in prusaslicer and sliced - both seemed to work fine.  Maybe your slicer just doesn't like something about the original model?  The pic is original on the right, new version on the left.

In any case, it's another version to try.  If you can get it to work, maybe it's worth configuring a backup/alternate slicer that is happier with other kinds of models.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3904623

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2019, 11:19:10 pm »
So I printed 3 of those with the hole facing down with added supports which I thought would bring out the outer shape best but they came out a bit rough but OK; no issues with simplify 3D.

The second shot was taken during the print so you can see the support; removing it afterwards worked well. eSun PLA+ is really strong and I used 210 C head and 55 C bed (glass plate) temps. I think I might try 0.001" layer height and slow down the print for better finish quality.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2019, 11:29:29 pm »
No problem, if your extrusion temp is low enough, printing the opposite orientation with no supports is probably still likely going to work - short overhangs usually come out alright in PLA even though the fillet there is a little harder to print (steeper overhang angle) than a chamfer.

For the knurling, yeah I think slowing down (specifically the perimeter speed setting) is probably the way to go to get some more clarity (maybe you could try perimeter acceleration, too).  They'd be perfectly usable as is, the randomness of it would probably grip quite well, but you're probably seeing a little ringing on the axis or backlash from the belt tensioning that's just making it a bit inaccurate and slowing down should help with both.

I wonder if it's just the way the stl file was exported?  The knob's original designer used a different program to export, I used Fusion360, and maybe there's just something in the formatting of the file that's different and that Simplify3D doesn't like.  There's actually a chance that getting blender or meshmixer or something could be valuable in that case, so for any stls with issues, you just import them to the other program, then reexport.  Since they probably don't save in exactly the same format, it could fix the thing the slicer doesn't like.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:31:13 pm by DaJMasta »

Online beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2019, 12:08:49 am »
If you go back through this thread the fine flutes on the knobs caused sli3erPE some problems until I tweaked the right setting so PEBCAK and not a slicer or printer issue ;) In the end 0.1mm Layers and turning off 'Detect Thin Wall' and 'Avoid Crossing Perimeter' got it done with the best results.

Currently running the newest version of Prusa Slicer 2.1 and really starting to like the extra features over sli3erPE.

Also downloaded Cura 4.3 for another look at. Not a fan but I really need to try it some more before dismissing it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2019, 01:30:45 pm »
So that's HP and Tek feet, an LCR45 stand, various enclosures so far which are looking useful. This thread is slowly costing me a 3d printer.

:-DD Just stop resisting you know you need it. Think of all the crafty prints for your girls available on Thingiverse too ....  >:D

Bit busy but I will add the last couple of posts to the indexs when I have a minute.

Well as you probably know from the TEA thread I did it. One Ender 3 and I've got the hang of it at last so the first TE related 3d print was done this morning (after the kids had got a few through). One new shoe for my 1740A thanks to your STL.

The scope is rather buried in the cupboard of doom so it may be a couple of days before I get to install it and check fit etc.

I printed this one in 0.2mm layer height 100% fill and it's as solid as a rock.

Thanks for your efforts, and persuasion  :-DD

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2019, 04:50:35 pm »
Generally speaking, 100% infill is entirely unnecessary.  You can use a more durable infill pattern (honeycomb, cube, I like gyroid), but beyond 50% has very little effect, and between like 35% or so and 50% is only a relatively small increase in durability.  If you want a really strong part, increase the number of perimeters and make sure your layer adhesion is good.

My usual durable settings are about 30% infill and 3 perimeters, but default printing settings are more like 20% and 2 perimeters - saves a lot of time and material.  Been printing test equipment parts, printer parts, outdoor parts, pretty much everything on no more than 35% infill or so.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2019, 01:44:11 am »
The only print I intentionally use 100% infill on is the replacement Hammer heads. I erred on the heavy side with the 1740 feet when I printed and 'tested' them with said hammer at 6 layers and 40% infill :-DD

My normal heavy is 40% and 4 layers all round but I wasn't sure of the weight of the unit or the chances of it getting a sideways knock across the layers and I also wasn't particularly happy with the screw being so short so I went a bit heavier.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2019, 01:21:18 pm »
I am mostly concerned with infill on this because the screw shaft compresses the entire body of the part onto the back of the scope plus it reduces shearing points for impacts (assuming layer adhesion isn't poo!).

Anyway managed to dig the scope out this morning and it mostly fits. Dimensioning is good. To note however I printed the wrong one and should have done the 3.5x13.5 unit. Doh!  :palm:. Measure twice, print once  :palm:

However in the interests of learning what I'm doing, I have actually designed another one from scratch in FreeCAD using the original dimensions from beanflying's part simply because I'm fucked if I'm giving any cloud software vendor any attention after the recent Adobe Creative Cloud sanctions nightmare.  It's exactly the same as the 3.5x13.5 unit but has locating pin at the top.

Doing a 0.2mm / 20% infill test print now. Takes ~1 hour which is not bad.

Citations on cloud risks:

1. https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-blocking-property-government-venezuela/
2. https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/10/adobe-will-cancel-all-subscriptions-in-venezuela-to-comply-with-us-sanctions/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:23:50 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline gwerl

« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
I am looking to make some of these too for my HP 8640B.
GHW

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »
I have designed a SMA adapter to repleace the expensive Lecroy LPA-SMA ProBus / ProLink adapters used on Lecroy Wavemaster 8000 series and DDA-5005.
They require:

Amphenol SF1117-6018: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-sv-microwave/SF1117-6018/SF1117-6018-ND/6201695
Amphenol 132170: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf/132170/ACX1244-ND/1011921

Total cost about 60USD

The adapter holds pretty well without screws but I will add some with security ring so that they do not fall out...
Attached is the step file as zip as well as the dimensions of the interface.

My version is printed on an Elegoo Mars resin printer, default settings.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:32:01 pm by sixtimesseven »

The following users thanked this post: JohnG, salvagedcircuitry, bd139, damien

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »
Here ist the protective cap for the ProBus / ProLink adapters used on Lecroy Wavemaster 8000 series and DDA-5005.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:54:09 pm by sixtimesseven »

The following users thanked this post: JohnG

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:57 pm »
Neat looking print - between the layers and the little shavings from plugging in and out I had thought it was CnC milled acrylic  ;D

I guess making a solid part is no problem if you're using connector adapters - not so much issue with dielectric properties when they're outside the shield.

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49:53 pm »
Here is the fan adapter I designed for a 120mm Rotron fan to 140mm Noctua fan with offset for the Wavepro / Wavemaster series as described here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg2266779/?topicseen#msg2266779

Might be usefull for other machines as well. In particular when the 120mm fan is close to an edge and a 140mm fan has to be offset to fit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:52:35 am by sixtimesseven »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2019, 05:13:21 am »
I have been off doing other projects and life but here is an idea that might help if anyone needs a physical knob with thread.

3D printed top but allowance for a knurl nut insert and hex head bolt inserted from the top (screwed together tight). It helps spread the load much better than just a bolt alone and won't unscrew as the hex will be locked in place by the print and insert. This was a small part in a bigger design I was doing for $ recently.

I will get back to indexing the last few additions ASAP  :palm:

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2019, 10:45:42 am »
I have been off doing other projects and life but here is an idea that might help if anyone needs a physical knob with thread.

3D printed top but allowance for a knurl nut insert and hex head bolt inserted from the top (screwed together tight). It helps spread the load much better than just a bolt alone and won't unscrew as the hex will be locked in place by the print and insert. This was a small part in a bigger design I was doing for $ recently.

I will get back to indexing the last few additions ASAP  :palm:

Nice! It effectively becomes a metal insert? Does the knurl nut stay in place once it's in?
Files and link to the nut would be nice  ^-^

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2019, 10:49:39 am »
Neat looking print - between the layers and the little shavings from plugging in and out I had thought it was CnC milled acrylic  ;D

Thanks. I love resin printers. To bad the print bed is limited for the LCD based machines.

I guess making a solid part is no problem if you're using connector adapters - not so much issue with dielectric properties when they're outside the shield.

The Resin is just structural. The RF part consists of the two adapters. That might become slightly problematic at 5GHz since connectors are always an impedance step and should be avoided but alternative parts cost about three times as much so....

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2019, 01:16:33 pm »
1). Put your test equipment upside down.
2). Cut a strip from a piece of paper, about 1 or 2cm wide, several10's of cm long.
3). Make a loop from the paper, and set it on your test equipment.
4). Take your hot glue gun and fill the paper to the height needed.
5). Let it cool.
6). Remove paper and do a bit of post processing. Cut bits of with a knife, round sharp edges by re-heating with a hot air gun.
7). Rub a bit of dirt in the surface to prevent your equipment form getting glued to the desk. (Just set it straight on the floor or some other dirty surface and move a few times)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2019, 03:56:52 pm »

Nice! It effectively becomes a metal insert? Does the knurl nut stay in place once it's in?
Files and link to the nut would be nice  ^-^

I will run up some STL's for 3, 4, 5, and 6mm (only have M5 in that design) with knurl nut links to suit. Then it is just a case of pick a bolt length and make it. The knurl nuts have plenty of bite and mechanically the only real job they do here is keep the bolt in the knob as the bolt head will stop the rotation more than the knurl.

3am here so time for some zzzz

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2020, 09:09:30 am »
I just drew up the rear terminal cover for a number of HP system power supplies. 65XX, 66XX, series etc.
I haven't printed it myself, but the dimensions are accurate.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4122457
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Neomys Sapiens

Offline rcrook

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:37 pm »
I created this for my HP1640A but I think its generic enough to be used on a number of devices.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136347

Link to the OpenSCAD source files on github will follow shortly.

Randall.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2020, 02:49:06 am »
Rear cable wrap feet and wire securing clip for Tektronics 500 series mainframes and 400 series scopes.

Edit: I have to ask for your HP feet why you didn't flatten off the middle area instead of doing 1:1,

Not sure if this is Rerouter but is sure looks like his design eBay auction: #283800016690

Yes I have been a bad thread starter and need to add the last few designs to the index posts :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2020, 11:28:49 am »
Think they printed them with the layers in the wrong orientation. Looks like any pressure would snap the fingers off. Mind you at least that's an original feature  :-DD

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:15 am »
Here's another obscure part for a specific application:

An adapter to allow the use of Pomona 3770 low EMF binding posts on your Yokogawa 2554 DC Volt Current Standard.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4008249
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2020, 04:55:01 pm »
I don't exactly remember which ones aren't listed, but if you're going to update the early posts, I've got 20ish designs for test equipment so far, I've gotten pretty ok at copying test equipment plastics with only an hour or two and a revision.

If they are of use, and you can get thingiverse to load anything: https://www.thingiverse.com/DaJMasta/collections/test-equipment-parts

The following users thanked this post: Qw3rtzuiop, bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf