Author Topic: Replacing OLED screen on an Agilent U1253A Multimeter  (Read 128541 times)

Offline iblackford

• Contributor
Re: Replacing OLED screen on an Agilent U1253A Multimeter
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2022, 07:36:10 pm »
Hi all,

I've followed this thread quite a bit, and all the various solutions for replacement displays. I can't say i've read _every_ message, but I've ready many of them. Forgive me if my questions have already been answered.

I have a U1253A with a dead display. I ordered an SSD1309 display, and I had this PCB made:

I put it all together today, ohming out the various connections as I go. To my dismay, it doesn't work. :(

I noticed a couple of things:
1) The adapter board I had made, I just realized that it's for the U1253B...would this also work on the U1253A?
2) I may have gotten the knob on the case out of sync with the PCB assembly. I can manually move the PCB switch with an allen key, and I think I can see how it should be aligned. Can anyone comment? from the picture below, does the notch in the PCB switch show that it's in the off position?

Thanks, Ivan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:40:56 pm by iblackford »

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #276 on: February 09, 2022, 11:18:14 pm »
I also haven't read anything, just saw a video some days ago and did some links for the necessary parts, in case my Keysight U1273A needs an OLED replacement...

As far as this description is concerned - you may have to translate it - both A and B versions need the same OLED modul LC-OL12864-09-YO-AG.

https://lcdstore.de/epages/17406888.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17406888/Products/LC-OL12864-09-YO-AG

This one, however, for the "Agilent U1253 A und B" is tutto completto and can be changed without soldering for around 72 Euro + shipping. I would buy it, as I live in Germany, but Canada is probably too complicated...

This guy, which is probably also an EEVBlog-Member, bought from the same source and changed his OLED for his Keysight U1273A; it is another board, but maybe you get a hint from his video, despite the foreign language:

ht*****tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReUDgjQ5TA0

...but I don't wanna spoil your fun of doing it yourself, just wanna show you an alternative as testgear should be in perfect and reliable condition as soon as possible!  :popcorn:

Cheers!  ;)

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline brainhouston

« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2022, 10:07:22 pm »
Hope this helps someone
Wanted to post my successful replacement for Apexi Power FC OLED commander

I decided to go with SST39 flash memory design from @decoder77 (thanks buddy)
More info - http://www.alexej-krom.de/replacing-the-oled-ssd1303-display-with-ssd1305/

One difference for Apexi is it already sends A1 command, so had to change it to A0 (i'm guessing due to screen orientation)
This is why all the conversion boards made for Agilent/coffee machines/audio players don't work for Apexi.
With flash memory its easy, just reprogram different bit.
Also, its much easier to cut the trace for D0 and solder the new output right to the display interface (see red circle in the pic), rather than to de-solder all 20pins between 2 boards as some others have done.

FYI, its been said few times already, OLED displays with SSD1305 controllers are still for sale on many Chinese websites (got one from AliExpress), these only have mirror issue. Displays with SSD1309 will also have offset which is harder to fix due to 2 step memory addressing and needs FPGA or CPLD circuit...

@Boosted_Eric, hope you already figured out your issue or maybe this will clarify it for you.

Big thank you to all the fine folks who figured this out and SHARED their designs:
@satanistik, @ultrasmurf, @gmarsh and probably more...

And big shame to ones like @johns who come here for help and use all the shared knowledge but don't share when they find the solution...
Instead just offer the service to fix it and keep it to themselves like its some big secret.
Trust me the ppl that have the skills for this can figure this out anyways and will do it themselves, you won't loose any business over this.
/rant
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:16:46 pm by brainhouston »

Offline johns

« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2022, 04:42:35 am »
brainhouston, you are very wrong. We haven't use any info from this forum.
What we used is the logic analyzer to solve the problem, same as satanic did. This is what he told me, use the logic analyzer and you will fix it.
It takes good few hours to fix one Apexi commander and it is not worth the money people are prepared to pay for it.

Offline johns

« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2022, 05:22:15 am »
I know how to check the color of the OLED display.
On the backside read second line and first letter will tell you a color:
Y - yellow
R - RED
B - Blue
W - White
and so on

Offline montecri

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2022, 12:49:16 pm »
Has anyone managed to solve the blue rubber flaking? I've tried silicone (spraying on a cotton ball and gently applying over the rubber) but that didn't work. It's still degrading.

Thanks!

Offline ptdamore

« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2022, 05:35:33 pm »
I debated whether or not I should add to this thread given its age but it seems to have recent traffic so...

This post might be a bit long.  Even if nobody reads it, it was kind of therapeutic to write it.

Way back in this thread there was talk about replacing the OLED in this meter with an LCD.  I think the talk at the time was about replacing it with a fixed-segment display.  I didn't have one of those, but I still wondered what the U1253A would look like with a graphic LCD and sort of became obsessed with having one.  This is what I wound up with:

1437370-0

The display looks slightly washed out in that pic for some reason, the contrast is better in person.  This works because the memory organization and the relevant commands sent by the U1253 (the address-related commands) are basically 1:1 between OLED and LCD graphics modules.  I just suppress all the other commands and give the LCD the initialization commands it needs at boot time.  I also intercept the OLED brightness command and use it to set the duty on a PWM output, so I can use it as backlight brightness.  I don't have any way to set contrast.  I picked a middle-of-the-road value that works pretty well when the meter in its normal place on my bench, and hard-coded it in software.

Some might be wondering, the current drawn is as follows:

Condition: Vbatt = 8V

Backlight high: 32mA
Backlight medium: 25mA
Backlight low: 20mA

I have the meter configured to start at medium.  I don't remember what the original OLED drew, but nobody ever bought this meter for its battery life so  :-//.

Aside from flipping the power lines to the LCD in my PCB and having to do some surgery to recover from it, I'm happy with this build.  I had fun doing it and I think the display I picked looks at home in the case.

Having said that I'm not sure I'd run out and tell anyone else to do this.  There were issues:

1. The display update rate of this meter is pretty fast.  The display has a hard time keeping up when the numbers jump around.  In practice I'm probably not using those numbers for anything when they are jumping around but it's not as crisp as the OLED was with the fast updates.  Once the reading settles, the numbers look fine.  The glass I used here is STN, I think maybe a FSTN display would have worked better, but I could not find one to meet my display area and overall size requirements.
2. These graphic LCDs are big.  I used this one: https://www.buydisplay.com/blue-2-6-inch-128x64-cog-lcd-module-display-with-touch-panel-serial-spi.  It was the sweet spot between display area and overall size.  I spent a lot of time looking at spec sheets to settle on this one.  It seems that graphic LCDs for a given display area run much larger overall than a similar OLED.  This module mostly covers the area of the original display board used in the U1253A.  More than that, these modules are much thicker mostly due to the backlight.  The one I used has a spec of max thickness of 5mm.  My actual display is about 4.8mm thick.  For the display are, this is about the thinnest I could find.  the OLED I think was less than 1/2 that thickness.  The physical reality of the display module had a ripple effect into everything.

You have about 11.2mm total height off the board for everything before you start having issues putting the case back together.  The full stack with the original standoffs and the original board lands you at about 8.25mm.  Add the LCD to that and you are over 13mm.  I ultimately had to gut all the old mounting, including the connector on the board and redo all of it to fit the new module into the envelope I had.  It's actually worse, because the screws that hold the board on are on the top of the board, and the display is so large it will sit on top of them.

Here is a side view of the final stack-up fully assembled:

1437376-1

From the U1253 board up:

1. .8mm board with the new interface stuff on it (the connector on the side is the ICSP connector.  I had these connectors laying around and I did not care that it had more pins than I needed.
2. 3d printed mounting plate.  This plate has standoffs integrated in it so that the top surface can be completely flat.  I just printed them so that I could press-fit some metal standoffs into it to accept the screws which come in from the bottom of the U1253A board.
3. The LCD itself

Additionally you might notice the ribbon cable from the LCD comes out the top, the original OLED was on the bottom.  The need to route this cable, combined with the fact that the old connector was too high off the board anyhow, meant I needed a new way to connect the display board to the main board.  Ultimately I used a flat-flex cable to do this.  I had to make an adapter board to convert the old footprint for the 2mm rectangular connector to a 20-pin FFC connector.

The little adapter board is also .8mm thick.  JLC does these for their standard prototype pricing and timelines which is pretty amazing.  This board was a total PITA to route, I spent more time routing this board than I did the main board.  Doing this allows me to get the connector out of the way, so the FPC connector on the LCD can wrap around.

I have a couple more pics, I will add them in a second post.

The following users thanked this post: rtekal, brainhouston

Offline ptdamore

« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2022, 05:38:46 pm »
Continuing from my last post...

Here's a pic of that FFC adapter board:

1437388-0

Here's a view of the board stuck to the underside of the mounting plate (sorry again for crap quality):

1437394-1

The white FFC connector is for the display, the black one behind it accepts the cable that connects to the main board.  The main board cable actually does not go straight in, it flips around so that assembly is easier, and I did not need to worry about the orientation of the contacts on the cable or the connector.

The bodge wires are there to fix the fact that I got the power traces flipped for the LCD.  I definitely used up some luck on this one.  I managed to not destroy the display.

If anyone actually wants to do this, I'm happy to make the files available, just reply here.  I'd need to do some cleanup so I'll probably not do that unless someone is interested.

The following users thanked this post: rtekal

Offline wakko

« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2022, 08:29:39 pm »
I've been looking at replaceing the display in my U1253B.  The oled displays are becoming harder to get hold of, so an LCD option would be nice to have.  Please could you make the files available?

Offline wakko

« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2022, 08:39:29 pm »
I was looking at making this but it seems the display used is hard to source.  I've found this https://www.buydisplay.com/yellow-2-4-inch-graphic-oled-display-128x64-serial-spi-i2c-ssd1309  and wondered if it would work without changing anything.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2022, 05:30:12 am »
I've a new OLED display for my 1273A on the way from the German supplier mentioned by PushUp earlier on this page, lcdstore.de, they also supply screens for the 1253A. Naturally I will post an update, with pics, when it arrives.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline wakko

« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2022, 10:31:45 am »
How did you manage to order from them.  I emailed the company and they told me they can't ship to 'private persons in the uk'.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2022, 04:25:22 pm »
How did you manage to order from them.  I emailed the company and they told me they can't ship to 'private persons in the uk'.

I luckily had a friend in Germany buy it for me and forward it.

It arrived yesterday, but naturally I was at work... I am about to set off to the local Royal Mail parcel office to pick it up (it's 2 minutes walk away and has an evening opening on Thursdays) so I will know in an hour or so whether the patient can be saved.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2022, 12:25:34 pm »
Didn't have time to post an update yesterday, so many things went wrong...

Anyway, the screen works great:

Now I can see the readings, I found there's a fault on the front end somewhere, but that's for another thread!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #290 on: July 19, 2022, 09:07:29 am »
The Signal Path did a video on the replacement, not sure this one you link on Aliexpress is "honest" as there is no picture shown with the meter running the replacement as far as I can see?
The one shown on The Signal Path is the expensive replacement with an FPGA that gets a "pixel perfect" display.
There is a cheaper version that uses basic logic gates, but this gets the display shifted by a pixel row.

The following users thanked this post: --Oz--

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: July 19, 2022, 04:03:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Watching that video and reading the comments, seems that solution is now hard to get the fpga, plus programming, plus cost plus assembly. I will report back when I (or "if" I get, lol) my Ali display.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2022, 11:28:04 am »
I doubt that Aliexpress display is the real deal. Likely you will just receive a bare display with the same pinout but wrong controller, thus image mirroring issue. Here is a similar listing from the same seller for Nivona coffee maker which uses the same SSD1303 based display https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804117138608.html and of course buyers report mirroring issue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:32:09 am by wraper »

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2022, 07:20:39 pm »
You are probably correct and they will refund me for their lies, haha, will report back when it gets here.

Here is their description:
"2.42 Inch OLED Display LCD Screen Highlight Device for Agilent U1253B U1253 U1253A Industrial Quality Wholesale"
If it does not work on my U1253B = money back.

I am old school, I still have my Fluke 77 DMM from 1984, ultra reliable, excellent battery life, now we have $500 meters that eat the battery alive and live for only a few years, sad, this alone would make never buy from that company again.

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2022, 02:23:07 am »
Well, it got to USA in 10 days from Ali, well packed, will try to get to installing it Monday.
Even if I have to use the flip logic board it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:24:57 am by --Oz-- »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2022, 07:11:53 am »
As I said it has the wrong controller - SSD1305 instead of required SSD1303 https://aliexpress.com/item/3256801202021227.html So you can spare the effort of soldering it uselessly.

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2022, 08:05:02 pm »
I solder some of the most demanding prototype 200Gbaud data circuits at work, soldering this display on will take about 1 minute, then with a short 15 sec video I will get my money back, otherwise I dont get my $25 back, worth it for a minute of my time.

I am pretty sure you are correct, its the wrong display. Nowhere in my link does it say what model number this display has, but it says its compatible with my meter, so I should be covered for a refund.

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2022, 04:36:57 pm »
@wraper, you were correct, haha. Refund in process. I do like the blue color over the yellow/green. Next to get/build the flip board. Anyone selling them? Or I will just order and build a couple, anyone else need one?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline --Oz--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2022, 06:33:30 pm »
Weird, I have tried twice to post pictures of the pcb adapter I plan on using and the post does not show up,,,,,?

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2022, 08:18:11 pm »
Weird, I have tried twice to post pictures of the pcb adapter I plan on using and the post does not show up,,,,,?
Actually with this version of the display I think it is enough to flip it and it will be "pixel perfect" only the other display requires the pixel shift.
So you can use this really simple fix with an eeprom only:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacing-oled-screen-on-an-agilent-u1253a-multimeter/msg3999520/#msg3999520
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacing-oled-screen-on-an-agilent-u1253a-multimeter/msg3588163/#msg3588163
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacing-oled-screen-on-an-agilent-u1253a-multimeter/msg2438199/#msg2438199

The following users thanked this post: --Oz--

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf