Author Topic: Reverse engineering Tektronix TDS3GV module for TDS3000 series oscilloscopes?  (Read 24633 times)

Offline pschirrer

24 CARD_INSERTED (5K to ground for 3GM)

same for TDS3GV which I bought just before you posted that 5K to GND value which probably is enough to fake it :/

Hi I soldered a resistor directly on the connector between pins 24 and GND, but no expansion card reported by the scope (TD3014 SW Rev 3.39), not sure it is enough...

Regards

Offline pmercier

• Contributor
Hi, quick answer :
yes it's not enough for the oscilloscope to detect the good card. It just allow the scope to detect a card was inserted.
I finished the reverse just recently and got the scope to detect a specific card but I didn't had the time these last days to publish any results. I'll do it this weekend.
If you can't open it, you don't own it !

Offline pmercier

• Contributor
I know I promised to publish and share my results last week end. I got delayed by mother nature who put a wasp nest inside my car ... they got me pretty bad. At least I wasn't driving at that time.

So now that am on foot again, I took the time to create a build log for the project I had in mind when starting the reverse. All of the informations are posted there : https://hackaday.io/project/172242-extension-card-for-tds3000-scopes/log/179520-the-actual-informations

Only the two last logs have informations not present here.

Hope it'll be useful.

No original card was inserted when taking this photo ;)

1004965-0
If you can't open it, you don't own it !

The following users thanked this post: madao, Galen

Offline Galen

• Regular Contributor
Thanks pemecier, very useful information.
Delighted when problem fixed

Offline buffdriver

My thanks as well!  With the information presented here and on the hackaday site, I was able to mimic the presence of a serial communication module and send the necessary commands to turn my TDS3012 into a TDS3052.

I will continue to monitor the progress and would definitely consider building a board to have persistent serial, vga, and/or ethernet capability.  I really appreciate all who have contributed.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
Here's where I am with my attempt to make a super TDS3GV / TDS3EM plug-in module. Nothing is tested yet - still waiting for JLCBCB.

Design objectives:

1. An alternative to the RTC Dallas DS1742W chip on the scope main board. All but one DS1742 pins are on the 100 pin expansion connector. So I'll have a DS1744W with battery/xtal cap on this board.
2. A DB9 serial port. Isolated. But if needed, with a DB9 Bluetooth adapter +5V powered via pin 9.
3. An isolated USB version for that same serial port because PCs no longer have DB9 COM ports these days...
4. Accommodate the ESP32 DevKitC so that we can do the WiFi trick as per https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/reverse-engineering-tektronix-tds3gv-module-for-tds3000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3014688/#msg3014688.
5. Allow for FTDI USB-TTL 6 pin header serial port.
6. Add RJ-45 10BaseT Ethernet via a legacy MC68160.

For the DS1744W alternative RTC I still need to work out how to best mute the existing DS1742W on the main board. The latter seems to get its /CS from the PowerPC XPC860 /CS2 at pin D4. Unclear yet if my assumption is right that the RTC is mapped at address 0x000000 and the CS can thus be derived from just the A0-A19 address bus. If not then it will be an extra flying lead from /CS2 pin D4 of the PowerPC, to my board's DS1744W. Maybe route that via EXTCLK on the 100 pin connector. Stay tuned...

The following users thanked this post: blackfin76, Icchan, alm, Draco.You, YetAnotherTechie, buffdriver, smaultre

Offline blackfin76

• Regular Contributor
Here's where I am with my attempt to make a super TDS3GV / TDS3EM plug-in module. Nothing is tested yet - still waiting for JLCBCB.

Goed bezig  :-+

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I know I promised to publish and share my results last week end. I got delayed by mother nature who put a wasp nest inside my car ... they got me pretty bad. At least I wasn't driving at that time.

So now that am on foot again, I took the time to create a build log for the project I had in mind when starting the reverse. All of the informations are posted there : https://hackaday.io/project/172242-extension-card-for-tds3000-scopes/log/179520-the-actual-informations

Only the two last logs have informations not present here.

Hope it'll be useful.

No original card was inserted when taking this photo ;)

Nicely done! That's quite a clever way of identifying the type of expansion module, using parts that were cheap in the late 90s.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
My plug-in boards arrived from JLCPCB - DHL shipping takes > 1 week these days.
It works nicely - after fixing the errors I made. No Ethernet though.

Details: see cross reference https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/reverse-engineer-dallas-ds1742w/msg3324732/#msg3324732

The following users thanked this post: Icchan

Offline mankan

• Regular Contributor
I also got my boards yesterday  :)

Soldered it up today and upgraded to TDS3054 and then a FW upgrade. I've not yet programmed the ESP (Wemos mini D1). The plan is to have a simple web server that publishes screen shots.

Should I connect the /RST line to the ESP RST pin?

Offline mankan

• Regular Contributor
I've realized I was a bit greedy  ;) I've now changed model to TDS3052.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
Nice board also. The /RST I think is the PowerPC reset input. The power on reset. I don’t think that the CPU or anything else on the main board drives it, so assume it’s a main board input on the 100 pin connector. If so then you could drive it from your ESP Wemo - to reset the scope. But why would you?

The web-server that i used was a direct copy of what was on this forum elsewhere, from Russia. Arduino, ESP32 DevKit-c. Stumbled initially by not having the file system for the index.html and java script, plus some other plugins, but could google and github download my way through all the compile/load error messages so that it worked eventually.
Still due: make the web server connect as client to my home WiFi, so my SSID from my network, instead of this ESP32 DevKit acting as independent WiFi router with its own SSID.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
The ESP32DevKit-c can still do old style Bluetooth serial port profile. As can PC's. So here the Arduino project that enables that as an option to go wireless short distance.

Offline mankan

• Regular Contributor
@sicco Very elegant.

Where can I find the "Tek Screen Capture Utility"?

At the moment I have a webserver and a NTP client running and have been struggling with reading the PNG data from the serial port. At the moment it takes 5s including retries and delays. I'll try adjust the RxBufferSize next thanks to your screen dump.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor

Offline mankan

• Regular Contributor
Can anyone explain why I need to pull up resistors on the TX/RX pins?
Without them the Wemos D1 mini won't start running the sketch when connected to the scope. One clue could be that my LED is lit, pin D0/GPIO16/~WAKE. I did not read up on reserved ESP8266 GPIO pins when I made the board.
Attaching my schematics and the Wemos one I think I have.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
My most recent 'budget version' plugin boards arrived this week.

More on https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tds3000c-series-bw-sampling-hack/

The following users thanked this post: pmercier

Offline Gyagel

Is there anybody with recent revision PCB from Russia here? I would like to buy 1 piece.
Please, PM me!

Offline AnJu

• Contributor
Is there anybody with recent revision PCB from Russia here? I would like to buy 1 piece.
Please, PM me!

Yes. PM sent!

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
Hi All,

I have a TDS2CM  communication board. Do you think  there a way to make a cable  from the 100-pin connector of the TDS3032  to the 50 pin connector of the TDS2CM  that will make it work and provide  RS232, GPIB and centronics ports to the TDS3032 ?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
@Jacquesbbb

it is not for the same scope series

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
I know well that TDS220 is not the same series as TDS3000  but  the functions of the interface are the same, so maybe part of  them can be retrieved from the TDS2CM  module. At least  the serial interface. I wonder if the GPIB from the TDS2CM  could be  used for  a TDS3000.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
I got the 100 pins connector.
soldered 5 wires

67 : GND
68  :TxD
69 : RxD
70  :RTS
71  :CTS

Connected a serial to USB dongle based on a RS232   FTDI chip  using 3.3V option

Use  a  serial terminal emulator on my mac ( Coolterm)

set  the communication on the TDS3032  ( with ENG dongle) version 3.39 with all options.
Baud rate : 9600
flagging  : none
EOL : CR/LF

set the comm on coolterm

Baudrate : 9600
Data bits : 8
parity : none
stop bits : 1
CTS  on

I  have made a test by printing through the serial port. I properly received a postcript file  on the terminal.

Nevertheless,  I have no answer when I   send : *IDN?

What am I missing ?

Thanks for all

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
Two things to check:

1. Signals are TTL logic levels, not RS232. So high (3V3) when idle, low when active.
2. Pin numbering on the 100 pins connector: the counting for pcb edge connector is different from the counting used on the original Molex part.

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
And note that this serial port only gets active after plugin module detection. Each tds3xx plugin has an 8 bit ID that is sensed during bootup. Typically using a 74xx245 IC, that pushes the ID on the databus when a CE line is driven low. See posts higher up.

If after a boot the scope does not say that it has a serial module plugged in, then it will ignore the Rx,Tx pins that you used.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf