Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1323808 times)

Offline janekx

• Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #2325 on: January 10, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »
Hi,
looking for 7102V and somwhere I read that is not possible to measure devices powered on same source as this DSO. It needs to be isolated. Is it still needs or it was for older Owons?

Thanks

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2326 on: January 10, 2014, 05:16:40 pm »
Hi,
looking for 7102V and somwhere I read that is not possible to measure devices powered on same source as this DSO. It needs to be isolated. Is it still needs or it was for older Owons?

Thanks
It depends. The reference point is not at the same potential as the reference of your oscilloscope?  This applies for all, not just the OWON.

Never let the oscilloscope's reference as floating, never.
In case of doubt, uses galvanic isolation, on the unit/equipment under measurement/test.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:20:44 pm by Carrington »
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline janekx

• Contributor
« Reply #2327 on: January 10, 2014, 06:06:56 pm »
So it is not so much trouble comperable to other DSO but in case of Owon only bigger warning ?

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2328 on: January 10, 2014, 08:44:20 pm »
Hello,

Does anyine know where I can find the firmware downloads for the SDS6062? I am hoping to fix the zoom issue with 1M and 10M acquire lengths. My  scope has version 2.3.

Thanks,

Sam
W3OHM

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2329 on: January 10, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »
So it is not so much trouble comperable to other DSO but in case of Owon only bigger warning ?
There is no difference between the Owon and other DSOs in this respect. In fact, the Owon, if battery powered, can be used to measure low voltages with references other than ground as long as the difference between ground and the reference is not a dangerous voltage.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2330 on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
Hello,

Does anyine know where I can find the firmware downloads for the SDS6062? I am hoping to fix the zoom issue with 1M and 10M acquire lengths. My  scope has version 2.3.

Thanks,

Sam
Try http://www.owon.com.hk/main.asp
just make sure you don't enter the last three digits of your serial.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2331 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:31 pm »
Happy New Year to all.

The link that TomC gave you (http://www.owon.com.hk/main.asp) works and with the main characters of model, e.g only the "SDS6062" vs "SDS6102XXXX" and the result will be : all the available fw's for this scope.

By the way, where is the new fw that Owon promised us?

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2332 on: January 10, 2014, 11:27:24 pm »
Well it still seems to be missing. I think that right now, they're probably too focused on their TDS series to care much about SDS.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2333 on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:33 am »
Who's gonna buy the TDS series?? It is too expensive for hobbyists... But not good for professionals...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #2334 on: January 11, 2014, 04:53:05 am »
Who's gonna buy the TDS series?? It is too expensive for hobbyists... But not good for professionals...
If the voice prompts are poorly implemented and I get a review unit... It might go flying out the window before I do anything

"Nothing to trigger. Nothing to trigger."
*mutes warning*
"No probes. No probes"
*flying oscilloscopes redefined*
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Viktor

« Reply #2335 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:27 am »
So, I have received my scope. How can I check the firmware version? I want to watch signals from SMT ICs (TQFP, SOIC). I found probe adapter on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tektronics-Probe-206-0364-01-SMT-KlipChip-Adapter-for-025-Pin-Receptacles-/231044105881
Will it work?

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2336 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:30 am »
Those are certainly fine test hooks but they're discontinued and they're kind of expensive.
The oem part for the Tektronix part is here:
http://www.testpath.com/Items/SMT-IC-Test-KlipChip-Adapter-Each-123-642.htm  and is a little bit cheaper.
You should look for the EZ Hook xkm that they're very popular:
http://catalog.e-z-hook.com/item/test-hooks/e-z-micro-hooks-single-hook-style/xkm-1?
The cost less than $3.50 a piece depending where you get them from and the quantity.
I have both and I like both, they grab the pins very firmly but they're delicate as all the probes of this size.
There is a good page with a review of the different types of hooks:
http://sigrok.org/wiki/Probe_comparison
I hope this helps :)

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2337 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »
So, I have received my scope. How can I check the firmware version?
Press: Utility, Function, Config, About

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2338 on: February 09, 2014, 06:09:37 am »
Hello Group,
Well I have an update. The SDS6062 that I bought for my company that had the strange operation (corrupted data) when zooming in on captured waveforms has been fixed.

I contacted the vendor where I bought the scope (Saelig) and their service department got right on the problem which I suspected could be fixed with a firmware update.

Well it turned out that the main board was a very early one that could not be updated in the field so Owon supplied a new board which Saelig promptly swapped out and quickly returned the scope to me.

I would highly recommend Saelig to anyone considering the acquisition of test equipment for brands that they carry. Their service and support is excellent!

Now back points about the scopes.

There is one thing to note with this long memory scope that is also common to the SDS7102. If you use the single shot mode and zoom after the scope stops (using the main sweep, not the window mode) you can zoom in on the waveform and the scope waveform fidelity is very good. I have compared this to a deep memory LeCroy scope set to exactly the same parameters (acquire memory set to 10Mpts with the sample rate set to match the Owon) and the results are for all practical purposes is excellent.

However the Owon does not come even close to the math, cursor control and zoom ability of the LeCroy (WaveRunner and more advanced versions) but here again we are comparing the Owon to a scope that costs 50 to 60 times as much.

There is another issue one should be aware of. If you do the same test and put the scope into Normal trigger mode as opposed to Single Shot trigger mode and you zoom in using the time base control after the scope triggers, the stored waveform looks like a sparse number of points are captured. I ran this same test on the Rigol DS1102E and found the exact same issue. I believe that this may be due to the way that the scope rearms after a trigger, a matter of a lack of horsepower in the machine. When you zoom in this mode you will also find that the indicated sample rate changes as you zoom in, which is strange since the scope is actually stopped but waiting for the next trigger. I appears that the sample rate follows the rate the scope would display if it is set to the Auto mode of triggering.

It would really be great of the scope would work the way it does when using the single shot mode with the long memory in Normal mode.

Many times you are looking for a needle in a haystack and having long memory makes the job easier. Sometimes using the single shot mode is impractical when you are looking for an anomaly that might occur when the scope is blind when you are manually setting the single shot each time. Normal mode would help to reduce the likelihood of this problem.

Unfortunately all of the Chinese scopes that I have come across thus far with long memory have been seriously lacking in the memory management department. But for under 400 buck on sale what do you want!

One more annoyance. When you are in Single Shot mode if you move the trigger level control the trigger does not move or change. You have to run the scope in another mode to set the level first then switch to Single Shot mode. I think that is a bug they can fix.

Sam 

W3OHM

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2339 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:14 am »
Hi! I think that you're wrong concerning the single-shot and normal mode (or at least you would be if you were using SDS7102).

Try this: Connect a probe to the probe compensation terminal, set the scope to 10 ms/div and do a single-shot. Then zoom in to 20 ns/div. You should be able to see the scope switch from interpolated view to dots mode. I'm pretty sure that at this moment, the interpolation loses any significant meaning, since there's so little data points to work with.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2340 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:22 pm »
There is another issue one should be aware of. If you do the same test and put the scope into Normal trigger mode as opposed to Single Shot trigger mode and you zoom in using the time base control after the scope triggers, the stored waveform looks like a sparse number of points are captured. I ran this same test on the Rigol DS1102E and found the exact same issue. I believe that this may be due to the way that the scope rearms after a trigger, a matter of a lack of horsepower in the machine. When you zoom in this mode you will also find that the indicated sample rate changes as you zoom in, which is strange since the scope is actually stopped but waiting for the next trigger. I appears that the sample rate follows the rate the scope would display if it is set to the Auto mode of triggering.

It would really be great of the scope would work the way it does when using the single shot mode with the long memory in Normal mode.

Many times you are looking for a needle in a haystack and having long memory makes the job easier. Sometimes using the single shot mode is impractical when you are looking for an anomaly that might occur when the scope is blind when you are manually setting the single shot each time. Normal mode would help to reduce the likelihood of this problem.

Unfortunately all of the Chinese scopes that I have come across thus far with long memory have been seriously lacking in the memory management department. But for under 400 buck on sale what do you want!

One more annoyance. When you are in Single Shot mode if you move the trigger level control the trigger does not move or change. You have to run the scope in another mode to set the level first then switch to Single Shot mode. I think that is a bug they can fix.

Sam

Scopeman,

I can confirm that my SDS7102 has the same behavior you described as far as the difference of the number of points displayed when zooming in single shot trigger mode versus normal trigger mode. One point of caution for others trying to reproduce this behavior, the sparse number of points in normal mode only happens if the scope triggers and then stops in the ready state waiting for the next trigger. It doesn't happen if you stop the scope manually with the stop button.

As far as the trigger level not working when in single shot mode, I couldn't reproduce this behavior on my unit. It seems to work as expected and for example, I can lower the trigger level from a point above the signal level to a point within the signal level and cause a single trigger to occur. Perhaps there is a difference in the firmware in this respect or our firmware levels are different.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2341 on: February 11, 2014, 08:29:33 am »
New PC Software from Owon 2.0.8.21 without history changes.

I can't see what they changed.

Offline MrsR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2342 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:35 am »
I didn't read the whole thread so someone may have brought this up but as far as I can tell SDS series are all Siglent ifound this when with a great deal of trouble I got onto SIGLENT and they sent me upgraded firmware Owen to SIGLENT and then I asked for help with a DIGITECH Scope QC1932 this is now a Siglent scope that is able to use EASYSCOPE X this allows SPI code to be used to control the scope Like UltraSigma for RIGOL except it is a Screen display with the SPI being usable to change scope settings etc. As a side piece the instructions are a lot clearer and easier to use than RIGOLS version. Oh! and it uses NI's drivers also.

Hope this Helps
Rachael :-+
PS I think MARMAD wrote RUU which is fantastic if I have used the wrong name I am sorry but that program is really great.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2343 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »
I can't understand well.
Are used a Siglent fw to SDS Owon?
Can you used the EasyScope X with the Owon?
Could you be more specific?

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2344 on: February 14, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
I didn't read the whole thread so someone may have brought this up but as far as I can tell SDS series are all Siglent ifound this when with a great deal of trouble I got onto SIGLENT and they sent me upgraded firmware Owen to SIGLENT and then I asked for help with a DIGITECH Scope QC1932 this is now a Siglent scope that is able to use EASYSCOPE X this allows SPI code to be used to control the scope Like UltraSigma for RIGOL except it is a Screen display with the SPI being usable to change scope settings etc. As a side piece the instructions are a lot clearer and easier to use than RIGOLS version. Oh! and it uses NI's drivers also.

Hope this Helps
Rachael :-+
PS I think MARMAD wrote RUU which is fantastic if I have used the wrong name I am sorry but that program is really great.

I'm sorry, but what?? Can you please ty using proper punctuation and capitalization? I really can't figure out what's going on here. I think that you're implying that Owon scopes are somehow related to Siglent. If that's so, then please elaborate. I don't think that anyone presented any proofs about the connection before.

Offline Maguire

« Reply #2345 on: February 26, 2014, 07:34:26 pm »
BIG CAUTION! Owon technical support is absolutely worthless.  The PC software package available on their site does not support Windows 8, there is a forum comment suggesting a new version is available but the support people simply sent a generic Windows Driver Config document that has nothing to do with the problem.  When asked a second time there was no reply.  I'd suggest buying a different product from a company that can read and respond to simple emails.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2346 on: February 26, 2014, 07:42:34 pm »
:-(  :-(  :-(  :-(
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2347 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:11 pm »
BIG CAUTION! Owon technical support is absolutely worthless.  The PC software package available on their site does not support Windows 8, there is a forum comment suggesting a new version is available but the support people simply sent a generic Windows Driver Config document that has nothing to do with the problem.  When asked a second time there was no reply.  I'd suggest buying a different product from a company that can read and respond to simple emails.
Can you describe the problem that you are having and post a link to the forum comment? I've been using the PC software with Windows 7 64bit for some time, and although clunky, it mostly does what is supposed to do. According to Microsoft, almost all programs that work with Windows 7 should work with Windows 8.

Offline kuson

• Contributor
« Reply #2348 on: February 28, 2014, 07:29:09 am »
Hello Everyone!  Just bought a Owon SDS7102V from SMTZONE and got it a week ago (20th Feb 2014),  Serial Number SDS7102- 1352526.   Very excited - my first scope!

*I Got Average 60-80mv Vp of Noise:  After testing it as per TomC's post (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-of-owon-sds7102/1066/ which in essence was to clip both the ground and the probe to the GND clip on the "Probe Comp tongs" [those who have one will understand what I mean], done after: [calibrating the unit, doing the probe compensation, setting probe at X10, and reading from the 50mv setting on AC coupling and Limit Full Band]) -- Image of signal as attached;  I did it many times in many other rooms, and on  *** average stayed 60-80mv Vp (volt peak to peak) of noise** .  The results is the same whether I do it on CH1 or CH2.

** Question: Is TomC's test still valid, is there a test that supercedes this test?  In theory I waited long enough after Jun 2013, and my unit should not have the noise problem, right?  I am waiting for Owon support to confirm that my unit is not the older unit in the first place.

Thank you very much in advance!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:32:00 am by kuson »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2349 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:08 am »
Hello Everyone!  Just bought a Owon SDS7102V from SMTZONE and got it a week ago (20th Feb 2014),  Serial Number SDS7102- 1352526.   Very excited - my first scope!

*I Got Average 60-80mv Vp of Noise:  After testing it as per TomC's post (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-of-owon-sds7102/1066/ which in essence was to clip both the ground and the probe to the GND clip on the "Probe Comp tongs" [those who have one will understand what I mean], done after: [calibrating the unit, doing the probe compensation, setting probe at X10, and reading from the 50mv setting on AC coupling and Limit Full Band]) -- Image of signal as attached;  I did it many times in many other rooms, and on  *** average stayed 60-80mv Vp (volt peak to peak) of noise** .  The results is the same whether I do it on CH1 or CH2.

** Question: Is TomC's test still valid, is there a test that supercedes this test?  In theory I waited long enough after Jun 2013, and my unit should not have the noise problem, right?  I am waiting for Owon support to confirm that my unit is not the older unit in the first place.

Thank you very much in advance!

Yes, the test is valid. It appears that you have done the test correctly and you have more noise than I would expect for a unit at your serial number level. I wonder what boards are inside of your scope, there was a case some time ago where the boards inside a scope didn't match what would be expected given the serial number. I don't know if you want to risk opening the scope or just try to exchange it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf