Products > Test Equipment

Review of Uni-T UT603 LCR Meter, is it worth the 40 USD?

(1/3) > >>

Spawn:
First of all, sorry about the video quality, I was trying different light setup with diffusers and on the cam screen it was looking okay but there was still too much noise in the image.
And video took longer than I expected, especially for a 40 USD meter…

What do I think about the meter?
Well till now all Uni-T meters I got in my hands shown some decent build quality, but is build quality everything if the meter is not accurate? Even way off on some ranges when you measure capacitance?

Would I recommend this meter?
No, if you are serious in your electronics hobby get a decent meter, this just won’t fill your needs.
If you need some inductance measurement once or twice a year like me, just go for it, but be aware of its wrong measurements in some ranges (see video for what I mean)

Manual:
http://www.uni-trend.com/manual2/UT602603%20Eng%20Muanal.pdf

Let’s see some pictures:

Since I didn’t have any reverence for the Henry values I had to setup this poor man’s inductance measurement setup, or is it not that poor with too much equipment involved

mariush:
If you're interested, I've posted a while ago some pictures and a few impressions about the smaller brother of this meter, UT602 :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/uni-t-ut602-lr-meter-%28teardownpicturesnotes%29/

This one was about $32 on site, but only paid about $28 with coupons. Looks pretty much the same, only it doesn't have capacitance.

Lightages:
This just shows how variable quality is with Uni-T. You never know if you are buying total crap or something useable. I would class this one total crap.

Wytnucls:
Amongst that meter range, only the UT601 (CR meter) shows the measuring units on the right-hand side of the LCD:
The cap ranges are much better, starting at 200pF, up to 20mF. Oddly, the accuracy pot for capacitance measurement can be adjusted from the front panel.
The resistance ranges are also different, starting at 20 Ohms, up to 2000M Ohms.
If you're mostly interested in inductance measurement, the UT602 has an extra range on the high side (200H) and has the data hold feature.

Wytnucls:
I did not like your review much. It looks like it was cobbled together hurriedly, without much thought and without proper instrumentation. It was far too long and you mumble a lot, making it hard for the listener to understand you.
Especially if your review is a negative one, you should test the meter with known values of inductance, resistance and capacitance, to back-up your findings. Any electronic shop will have a range of them at an affordable price.
The method of working out inductance with a resistor and a function generator is fine for ballpark figures, but is not very convincing to test the accuracy of an LCR meter.
Ideally, a high-end LCR meter should be used for a fair comparison.
You didn't mention that there are 5 adjustable pots on those PCBs, which can be tweaked to increase accuracy. UNI-T has a high volume production and at that price point, they don't spend much time adjusting the meters beyond their published tolerances.
I look forward to a follow-up review with the help of a decent LCR meter, if you ever get one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version