Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions  (Read 71482 times)

Offline Phils

Re: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2020, 07:35:23 am »
Once connected with grounding, the noise is now greater.When you connect the probe to the ground there is a big noise. Send it to the seller?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2020, 08:48:48 am »
I have my monitor attached to the MSO5000, from a cold start, I was able to get a perfect display as soon as I can get to the menu to turn the external display on, no restart involved.  You have to consider the possibility of a hardware issue.  My hardware is ver 1.00.00

I presume it is a HDMI cable straight to the monitor in your case with no switch involved?
Thanks, my hardware is 1.01.00 (I think).  I tried 2 different HDMI cables - yes it's just a cable, no switch or anything.  The symptom was there with the 'old' monitor that jumped off the shelf after 2 days so it's likely hardware or firmware in the scope.  One of the latest updates lists something like "improved HDMI startup" so I had assumed it was a firmware issue.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:29 am »
Is the HDMI monitor connected in prior to oscope before power on?
If it is not then it does not hurt to give it a try.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2020, 10:29:15 am »
@Phils: You are running the scope at a vertical sensitivity of 20mV/div. If you (properly) dialed in a probe scaling factor of 1:10 then the sensitivity at the BNC is 2mV/div. Under these circumstances, some noise is to be expected. Since I haven't got an MSO5000, I cannot tell how much can be considered normal. At these kind of sensitivity settings and the full bandwidth of the scope enabled, even the ground lead of the probe may pick up considerable RF interference. You can try to experiment with the short grounding spring at the proble sleeve - this usually helps a lot at reducing received RF background. Probing techniques can sometimes be awkward.

Edit: Typos
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:24:56 pm by TurboTom »

Offline neon416

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2020, 10:41:45 am »
Once connected with grounding, the noise is now greater.When you connect the probe to the ground there is a big noise. Send it to the seller?
Wait a little)
Now try this experiment with probe ground directly connected to TG BNC case (by steel contact spring from probe packaging), not by alligator wire.

Oops. I look not on previous message))) TurboTom wrote right things)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:45:38 am by neon416 »

The following users thanked this post: Phils

Offline neon416

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2020, 10:54:07 am »
At these kind of sensitivity settings and the full bandwidth of the scope enabled, even the ground lead of the probe may pick up considerable RF interference.
It's a problem. I live about 10km from FM/TV broadcast tower. If I simple short probe by connecting alligator to it's tip this "antenna" receive about 0.1V of EMI from that tower)) Only "spring grounding" to DUT make deal.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2020, 11:06:57 am »
Is the HDMI monitor connected in prior to oscope before power on?
If it is not then it does not hurt to give it a try.
I tried both connected and not connected, it seems that, when the scope is cold, the HDMI doesn't want to start up.  The caption on the screen allows you to turn HDMI on and off but the monitor reports that there is no signal.

Offline Phils

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »
I sent the seller to replace the oscillograph. With grounding only worse because I was unable to sync with the internal calibration of the 1 kHz square, 2 volts, without grounding synchronized, probably broken EMC. How to get a new review...
Thank you all so much

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2020, 05:38:49 pm »
I have my monitor attached to the MSO5000, from a cold start, I was able to get a perfect display as soon as I can get to the menu to turn the external display on, no restart involved.  You have to consider the possibility of a hardware issue.  My hardware is ver 1.00.00

I presume it is a HDMI cable straight to the monitor in your case with no switch involved?
Thanks, my hardware is 1.01.00 (I think).  I tried 2 different HDMI cables - yes it's just a cable, no switch or anything.  The symptom was there with the 'old' monitor that jumped off the shelf after 2 days so it's likely hardware or firmware in the scope.  One of the latest updates lists something like "improved HDMI startup" so I had assumed it was a firmware issue.
It looks like you have a faulty unit.  Have you tried contacting Rigol USA?

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2020, 02:16:51 pm »
I was looking for the SIGROK download when I noticed there has been a very recent update to PULSEVIEW,  and looking a little back in the blog I noticed that, on the driver library, they have added support for the MSO5000.   I wonder what that does.   Does any one have any idea about it?

Could you be more specific. Thanks
https://www.sigrok.org/blog/blog

The following hardware is now (additionally) supported:
Oscilloscopes: Agilent DSO1000B series, Hameg HMO3522, Rigol MSO5000 series, R&S HMO1000/RTA4000/RTB2000/RTC1000/RTM3000 series, YiXingDianZi MDSO

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2020, 09:14:49 am »
I was looking for the SIGROK download when I noticed there has been a very recent update to PULSEVIEW,  and looking a little back in the blog I noticed that, on the driver library, they have added support for the MSO5000.   I wonder what that does.   Does any one have any idea about it?

https://github.com/sigrokproject/libsigrok/commit/f6129c8f0c92e45de5d70b4101bf2bd759a5fdf7
https://github.com/sigrokproject/libsigrok/blob/4c5f70063ad6ae311809ee7818ddc9070fbe05cf/src/hardware/rigol-ds/api.c

Should be able to read analog and digital channels, not sure what if any limitations there are for triggering/etc.
Try it out and let us know.
The comment in the first link points to some data flow limitations.    Talking about trigger limitations, I have not pulled the trigger yet for buying one of these.   There are some things that need to fall in place before I do, plus warm weather seasonal activity adjustment may postpone it till fall.

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2020, 05:44:25 am »
I am busting my head but can't seem to be able to find the segmented memory feature. All I see is the record option, but it records in intervals and not based on the trigger. What am I missing?

Edit: Nevermind, found it, I needed to be in Normal mode.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:49:03 am by stafil »

Offline SimonH

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 09:38:17 am »
I may be wrong, but I think the MSO5000 doesn't have a real segmented memory feature. After all, they also don't call it like that. Instead of segmenting the sample memory, it just waits for a trigger, samples, stores the samples in "normal/slow" memory, and waits for a trigger again. Still very useful in many cases, but you have a long dead-time after each waveform sample.

Offline Ayraidizko

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2020, 11:20:12 pm »
So, I'm about to purchase the Rigol 5074 and potentially hack it to 350. I feel that this Oscilloscope still has great value, but it seems to have a lot of issues as well... Is everybody hapy with their MSO? and would you recommend it?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 11:27:57 pm »
I´ve owned the MSO5000 over a year and what I could say about it is, that you can´t get wrong with it, when you couldn´t/wouldn´t spend more money.
I know siglent, rigol models under the price of a MSO5074, they couldn´t reach it in any way.
Like I was mostly saying, this puppy is a raw diamond.
If you could spend 1400 bucks, then go for the siglent sds2k+ like I did.
If not, take the 5074, nothing else.
And don´t worry about the issues it got - Make your decision, does they affect your work with the scope…

The following users thanked this post: stafil

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2020, 01:01:19 am »
I'm happy with mine.  It's hard to get close to it in terms of value for money.

The following users thanked this post: stafil

Offline ve2mrx

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2020, 03:05:11 am »
Hi everyone!

After reading almost everything about the Rigol MSO5000 on this forum and comparing the MSO5074 with the Rigol DS1054Z, DS1104Z-S Plus and Siglent SDS1104X-E, I ordered the MSO5074. There's currently a promo with the options bundle for free, probably because they know it's hacked ;-)

I don't need 100MHz now, so I won't pay for it until I need it, and when I will need more that 4 channels of serial decoding, I'll buy a separate LA like the DSLogic U3Pro16.

Comparing the Rigol MSO5074 and the Siglent SDS1104X-E, I came to the conclusion that the SDS was a bit older, mature, and that the MSO wasn't mature yet but more capable. I hesitated as I wanted a stable scope, but it looks like you enjoy using it. Besides, it will be my first scope in 25 years! I don't think it will be a mistake for hobby work.

Also, I ordered a 121GW from Dave :-)

Thanks for your information while I lurked here reading your adventures in MSO5000 land.
Martin
EDIT: I meant to post in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:30:15 pm by ve2mrx »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, stafil, Steve12366

Offline Ayraidizko

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2020, 07:01:22 am »
I´ve owned the MSO5000 over a year and what I could say about it is, that you can´t get wrong with it, when you couldn´t/wouldn´t spend more money.
I know siglent, rigol models under the price of a MSO5074, they couldn´t reach it in any way.
Like I was mostly saying, this puppy is a raw diamond.
If you could spend 1400 bucks, then go for the siglent sds2k+ like I did.
If not, take the 5074, nothing else.
And don´t worry about the issues it got - Make your decision, does they affect your work with the scope…

I'm happy with mine.  It's hard to get close to it in terms of value for money.

Thank you so much for both your responses! I think I will pull the trigger on it. 

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline macaba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2020, 10:51:37 am »
Had my MSO5074 for a week, quite happy. Attached is a small bit of analysis that I've done so far.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Gandalf_Sr, dcac, jemangedeslolos, ve2mrx, core, sb42, Ayraidizko, Piasecznik

Offline ve2mrx

• Contributor
Bus Status vs intensity dial
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2020, 02:51:10 pm »
Hi everyone!

I think I found a bug in FW 00.01.03.00.01:

• Set up for I2C decoding
  • In Decode > Decode? > Bus Status > ON
  • Press Menu off, Back, some other button
  • The intensity dial only moves the Bus Status, but won't change the intensity

Can anyone confirm if it's me or a bug?

Thanks,
Martin

Offline macaba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2020, 04:17:57 pm »
Been using my MSO5074 for a few weeks now. By far the most annoying behavior:

Say you're on 100uV/div with a -200uV offset. Rotate the knob to change to 50uV/div and the offset changes to -100uV rather than staying on -200uV!  >:(

Is there a setting for this?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2020, 07:54:09 pm »
If we're using this as a list of annoying aspects of the MSO5000, here's mine.

I leave my probe switches at x10.  Every time I cycle power, the setting returns to x1, I'd like it to remember the settings until I change them.

Offline tcottle

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2020, 08:12:27 pm »
Its buried 3 levels down

Utility>System>Power On>Last

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2020, 09:17:46 pm »
Its buried 3 levels down

And this is imho a main problem of the UI...

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2020, 12:18:38 am »
Starting the scope at the previous state is a workaround but has problems of its own.  One does not always want to return to the previous state if you are working on more than one project, it creates far more problems than it solves.  A better option is to have a set of user configuration that one can store, and a menu to choose the default config to boot the scope with.  It shouldn’t be hard to code, but I don’t know if Rigol really care about what it’s customer has to say, so I won’t hold my breath.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf