Author Topic: WHY, just why...  (Read 1950 times)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: WHY, just why...
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 08:23:32 pm »
I hate it when people sell lame things, and also when people buy those lame things, and love having those lame things!

It helps us feel superior, when we can readily use those lame things without discomfort.

The same kind of superiority of owning a car with manual transmission, when so many unfortunate people can only drive automatics  :)

There are different dimensions of "lame", I guess.

I will happily use an old CRT scope without any bells and whistles, and eyeball voltages and times on the printed grid. On the other hand, it got really annoyed that Rigol's on-screen axis labels are such a mess. (Mixing different units on the same axis, and making it really hard to set round values for the labels.)

"Careless and thoughtless" is the flavor of lame that annoys me most...

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 08:30:26 pm »
I paint the color bands on my probes so I don't need to deal with the little plastic rings.  I can pick any colors I want.  The paint goes in the little slot where the ring would have gone and has so far not worn off after many years, but if it did I would just touch it backup.  I've never needed to change a probe's paint color, but if I did I could just paint over it.
I bet nail polish would work pretty well here too.

The following users thanked this post: antenna, csuhi17

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 08:30:32 pm »
I will happily use an old CRT scope without any bells and whistles, and eyeball voltages and times on the printed grid. On the other hand, it got really annoyed that Rigol's on-screen axis labels are such a mess. (Mixing different units on the same axis, and making it really hard to set round values for the labels.)

"Careless and thoughtless" is the flavor of lame that annoys me most...

If you talk about poor product design, then I am with you every time. Having a bad user interface on a product would upset me too.

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 08:30:47 pm »

Yes you can! And so can i, but you know, i am german, and i want to recognize the right probe/color in less than 100ms, and also in not so perfect light conditions.

Fortunately, the color intensity can be adjusted for many scopes.
You can't just change its color.

I just noticed that I set it to 100% for Rigol, but 50% was enough for Micsig.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 09:30:38 pm »
The screen printing on the DHO800 is off compared to the DHO1000:

But yes, selectable trace color would be the best.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 09:32:13 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 10:24:33 pm »
Always wondered why the scope guys never
thought of using the resistance colour codes.
Maybe 2=red and 3=orange is difficult to discern.

For two channels there used to be a sort of standard:
L (1) = yellow and R (2) = red.
However, today many manufacturers have decided against this "standard".
Just look at your headphone, speaker outputs etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:28:42 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2024, 10:37:20 pm »
Always wondered why the scope guys never
thought of using the resistance colour codes.
Maybe 2=red and 3=orange is difficult to discern.
Brown, red and orange is a cruel joke for people with some variant of color blindness. A friend of mine who can distinguish neither green nor red once had to wire up a UTP cable, and to her the brown, red, orange and green wires all looked like shades of brown.

Offline eTobeyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2024, 10:52:30 pm »
The screen printing on the DHO800 is off compared to the DHO1000:

I wonder why they printed the first 2 Channels with black font, and the others with white font.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2024, 11:03:58 pm »
I wonder why they printed the first 2 Channels with black font, and the others with white font.

I think it's to match the color coding on the probes? In one case you have a dark pattern and in the other case you have a light pattern as a visual identifier in addition to the color.

Offline slugrustle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2024, 01:43:07 am »
Also, why not green instead of light blue. This was a very poor decision from Rigol...

Show me one oscilloscope from the other manufacturers,  that has a green color on a channel!

Picoscope! 

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2024, 02:11:18 am »
Show me one oscilloscope from the other manufacturers,  that has a green color on a channel!
That's green all right:

Does this count as an oscilloscope?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2024, 05:28:18 am »
I think it's to match the color coding on the probes? In one case you have a dark pattern and in the other case you have a light pattern as a visual identifier in addition to the color.

Dark pattern? What dark pattern?  :-DD

Picoscope! 

OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THOSE COLORS! I think for some people those 4 colors just look like black...

That's green all right:
Yes, and its funny how they also choosed the grid to be some color closer to green...

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2024, 10:04:01 am »
Yes, and its funny how they also choosed the grid to be some color closer to green...
Nah I think it's gray or something. Either way it's very usable. The UI on this scope is actually quite good.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2024, 10:40:14 am »
R&S is yellow, green, orange, blue on my RTB2004. You can apply effects (e.g. to show up infrequent events) on a channel but can't change the base colour.

Zero issues for me, but I have good colour vision. Configurable channel colours (given they're using RGB LEDs as channel indicators, it should be easy-ish) was a feature request from some on this forum but unlike others it didn't make it into new firmware AFAIK.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2024, 11:30:37 am »
Configurable channel colours (given they're using RGB LEDs as channel indicators, it should be easy-ish) was a feature request from some on this forum...

That sounds like the same issue with rigol. The hardware was designed good, but those that designed the UI for it were not so much motivated...

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2024, 02:16:12 pm »
They should sell it as an option. I think many of us will happily spend $15. Easy earned money for the manufacturers.

Configurable channel colours (given they're using RGB LEDs as channel indicators, it should be easy-ish) was a feature request from some on this forum...

That sounds like the same issue with rigol. The hardware was designed good, but those that designed the UI for it were not so much motivated...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:17:38 pm by RAPo »

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2024, 02:18:08 pm »
The Hameg HMO series has a green colour on channel 4.

Also, why not green instead of light blue. This was a very poor decision from Rigol...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2024, 04:06:52 pm »
With soooo many options for customization, even some scopes running android, I can't understand why they can't let you choose the channel colors.
You can give a channel a name, but not change its color. I guess they have never reard about 'color blindness'
Some R&S scopes, like the MXO4, lets you choose each channel color and it can be any custom color (i.e., not from a fixed menu with a handful of choices).  It not only changes the trace color, but also the LED backlight color of the vertical buttons and knobs for the channel that is selected.

But there's a minor downside: The probes *do* have a color ring, and unless you remember, or physically mark the channel colors, you can't plug the probes into the right channel when the scope is off.
The MXO5 adds RGB LEDs right next to the BNC jacks so that they actually match, too.

What’s a bit annoying on the MXO4 (which they could easily fix in software) is that the colors of the RGB LEDs aren’t calibrated to match the display.

Edit: in fact, this even visible on their own photos of the MXO5. Look at channels 7 and 8: plainly different on-screen, nearly identical on the LEDs. And channel 3 is deep orange-red on-screen, and basically peach colored on the LEDs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:21:45 pm by tooki »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2024, 04:19:03 pm »

ALL of the top manufacturers do: Keysight, LeCroy, Tektronix, Rohde & Schwarz. They all use yellow for Ch1, and then pink/red, light blue, and green for the remaining channels, in varying order. So do most of the low-cost ones. Rigol is fairly unique in not using green.

On 8-channel scopes, it’s common to have two different shades of green, one slightly yellowish and one slightly bluish.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2024, 04:41:56 pm »
Why not white traces?

:-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2024, 05:00:33 pm »
Yes, I'm ready for it, I have already the white plastic rings ;-)

Why not white traces?

:-//

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf