Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions  (Read 71485 times)

Offline Testtech

• Regular Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2020, 04:32:05 pm »
Update,

I have received and tested the replacement instrument, and it works properly.
Kudos to Rigol tech support, they were very prompt with email response and shipping a replacement instrument. I could not be more pleased in my dealings with Rigol support.

UPDATE:

Thanks for the input, I am aware of you points, I tried 3 other signal sources with the same result.
I contacted Rigol Tech Support, and after discussion, an RMA was issued and the instrument shipped back today for replacement.

I will advise when the replacement arrives.

Greetings,

I have encountered an issue with my MSO5204 where a high frequency sinewave shows what I am calling artifacts, for lack of a better term.
Please see the pictures.
The "artifacts" can be changed by slightly varying the frequency, or can be made to disappear by turning on another channel. Also, changing the depth from AUTO to a much higher value will seem to make it disappear. It is apparent without the Color Grading on, but is easier to see in Color Graded mode.
These are most easily seen at higher frequency, and yes, I have tried several other sine sources, and all present the same.

Has anyone else encountered this? Perhaps someone can try this with their instrument and see if it does something similar

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2020, 03:58:49 pm »
Great  :-+

Its good to know it 'was' a HW fault and more importantly that Rigol did provide a great service  :clap:

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2020, 12:25:03 am »
Testtech,

Glad you git it sorted out. Kudos to Rigol for fixing it.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2020, 01:09:10 pm »
Hello, thanks for all of this community work sharing information about the rigol. I understand that this is the current list of known bugs. However what I feel is missing is getting a better insight / understanding which of those bugs are not as important as the other ones which Dave had initially raised at the release.

I am trying to get a better understanding about the specific areas which put the Rigol at a disadvantage to the more polished Keysight DSOX1204G. Mostly in terms of usability, and confidence in getting a quick set of readings which are easy to understand and not misleading. Or without having to go away and lookup how to access an option because it is obscurely placed and is always forgotton because it gets less frequently used.

Another comment on other thread was about the graphical display lag, despite having a faster cpu that does not necessarily mean the video display side is as good. For example when I see videos of people using the keysight it looks so responsive, it almost kindda emulates the 'feeling' of an analog scope. Which is all great and all. But I have still yet to see such good demos of the rigol on youtube. Ideally what would make it easier for me to decide is a video, where somebody has them both side by side. And is doing 'a per' feature walkthru togther on both scopes. Comparing with the very latest 2020 newest rigol firmware. And really showing the strengths and weaknesses of each one.

Quote from: EEVblog
Dave, any chance of an update video like this ^^ ever happening in the future?

He is probably still far too busy tied up with all that other stuff. Moving offices and again trying to free up new space for the inevitable hoarding of more and more things.

:palm:

But maybe there are 1-2 other youtubers instead of Dave who already own these scopes. And would be able to do their own comparison. That would be fantastic I think.

We might also hope for Keysight to plan updating their DSOX1204G. To make a more capable version in response to the Rigol. If that would ever happen.

And of course people also bring up other Brands. But I am much more doubtful of those coming anywhere near close to the Keysight in terms of usability factor.

A simple way of posing my quesiton is like this:

* If you were to have both scopes in front of you, on a daily basis. Which one would you be reaching for time and time again?

I believe the main counter argument (in favor of the Rigol) is: well the Rigol can do things which the Keysight simply cannot do. So if you can only afford 1 scope, it should be the Rigol. Otherwise those possibilities are entirely shut off to you.

However that argument does nothing to think about or address areas where the Rigol is worse than the Keysight. So this is why I feel a side by side walkthrough / comparison is perhaps a fairer way to judge the 2 scopes against one another. Since they have different strengths and weaknesses in different specific areas. It's not a checkbox / specs thing either.

I feel what is most frustrating is that because the SPECS of the Rigol are better, then why can't Rigol eventually (in the software) also just solve those usability and user interface problems too? And be 'close enough'. To address these 'rough around the edges' problems and other crazy bugs that make no sense to the outsider. Without understanding the internals.

So this is really where I am saying... well "its a lot of money" and if I cannot feel happy with either one. Then perhaps it's better not to buy either one. And just defer purchase of a scope (yet again). As I have already been doing for so many years at this point.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2020, 12:45:42 am »
I used to own a Keysight MSOX4054A with all the options enabled (legit).  Then I bought the Rigol MSO5074 and found that I liked the screen better on the Rigol (it's higher resolution and you can make the menus go away so the whole screen width is traces) so I sold the MSOX4054A for $7,500 (less eBay fees).  The MSO5074 does everything I need and makes much more sense for the money I paid.

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline ro_ok_bo

« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2021, 09:51:24 am »
Hello and sorry everyone for my bad English and I find this forum just great.

I bought a MSO5104 and with Python3 and (pyvisa) I can communicate with it.
Unfortunately I can't understand what command I have to send to receive the values captured by the markers. |O |O |O
I can set the instrument with the commands of the software manual;
for example :
    # measure ................
     scope.write (": MATH1: FFT: HCENter" + str (Center_Freq))
     scope.write (": MATH1: FFT: HSCale" + str (BW_set_Misura)) #
     scope.write (': MATH1: FFT: SEARch: ENABle ON') #
     scope.write (': MATH1: FFT: SEARch: NUM 3') #
     scope.write (': MATH1: FFT: SEARch: ORDer AMPorder') #

Unfortunately I cannot understand from the manual which command to send to have the values of the markers as a response. :-//

Any suggestions please?
Or a link with an example?

Many thanks to all.

Offline tim_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2021, 07:49:36 am »
I have a rather stupid question: Is it possible to save settings on the MSO5000? For example, it is quite annoying to have to change the communication settings every time I turn the scope on to assign an IP address.

Offline tcottle

• Contributor
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:00 pm »
Try Utility > System > Power ON > Last

The following users thanked this post: boris.t, tim_

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2021, 06:26:10 pm »
When is another firmware update expected for the MSO5000, it's almost a year since the last update.

Offline mironex

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2021, 02:20:36 pm »
I am considering purchasing the MSO5000. It has good hardware.
I asked a question about firmware update and I got answer.
Please see print screen.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2021, 03:29:22 pm »
Mironex, I just tried to PM you and found your inbox was full.

This is a thread you may be interested in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2769676/#msg2769676

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2021, 12:07:59 pm »
I just got my new MSO5074 and was speaking with support and mentioned firmware and the XY mode noise issue. They offered me a patch for the problem, I have not applied it as I am still going through the features of the scope.  Has anyone else got it, and tested it.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
They offered me a patch for the problem
What fix have you been offered? Can you share it?

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:41 pm »
This was a firmware with build date of March 17 this year, I sent the link in a PM to you. I am still familiarizing myself with the scope to see how it functions that I can see what improvements firmware brings. But support specifically mentioned the XY mode.

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2021, 08:25:41 pm »
This was a firmware with build date of March 17 this year, I sent the link in a PM to you. I am still familiarizing myself with the scope to see how it functions that I can see what improvements firmware brings. But support specifically mentioned the XY mode.

To my knowledge, this is the first anyone has mentioned a 2021-03 build for the MSO5000 series.  Sounds like a new release maybe?

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:00 pm »
Just a short question. In the RSA thread there was mentioned that modding the SMPS significantly reduced noise in the RSA. And sighound said that the PSU is the same like the MSO7k and he also modified this PSU for better noise..
Is it also the same PSU in the MSO5K? Maybe wie get less noise if we also modify the PSU with better quality caps?
Does somebody knows ?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2021, 09:35:01 pm »
Just a short question. In the RSA thread there was mentioned that modding the SMPS significantly reduced noise in the RSA. And sighound said that the PSU is the same like the MSO7k and he also modified this PSU for better noise..
Is it also the same PSU in the MSO5K? Maybe wie get less noise if we also modify the PSU with better quality caps?
Does somebody knows ?

What difference did he see on the MSO7k? I wouldn't expect any change like on a SA. Also the noise is mostly from the front end ADC which is well shielded, etc. so probably not much can be done there. But I would try it if he say a large difference with the 7000.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:50 am »
Managed to test the firmware, it looks like possible a beta version. But it corrected the XY mode and another issue I had with exporting1212586-01212588-1 event table. Not sure what else it fixes. Before and after pictures posted.1212584-2

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tcottle

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2021, 12:56:01 am »
Does it lower the noise only in XY mode?  Can you test if noise is lower also in normal (non XY) mode?

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2021, 12:11:33 pm »
Does not appear to affect noise elsewhere. Noise issue may need hardware solution.

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2021, 12:58:17 pm »
Or it is pretty early (march build) for an release in june / july.. I think there was an "announcement" in one of the other 5K threads..

So maybe they are testing currently the fix in xy mode and will activate it in the final release for all "modes". Will be interesting if there are some advantages about noise maybe some features of the Phoenix chip not yet implemented / activated? Noise is currently one of the big "issues" if the 5K is compared with the siglent one so i think rigol has to react in some kind to still be attractive with their cashcow against the siglent 2k+

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2021, 01:57:03 pm »
Just found the "Waveform freeze" "button" what does that mean? Couldn't get clear with the manual..

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2021, 02:42:16 pm »
You can play around with it and do run/stops, if enabled it basically shows what you currently see on the screen which includes memory, if disabled it shows just the last capture. If you had a signal with a lot of jitter, when enabled the run/stop would show the jitter, disabled would show the last trigger and would have missed some of the jitter. Almost like no persistence

Offline agorlach

« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2021, 02:38:55 am »
Just to contribute before my question, I found the bug in the CAN decoder. ACK field always marked as "Err" (tested on 250 kbps CAN bus), because it skips the CRC delimiter field. At the screenshot below I marked last four bits of CRC (0x3BA6, and it is correct CRC, checked). 6 is binary 0110, and the next bit is CRC delimiter, not ACK. ACK is placed after CRC delimiter.

And my main question is: I have the latest firmware (00.01.03.00.01) and in 99% it can't load saved WFM back correctly. Every time I have new problems. Signal length is doubled. Or signal form is incorrect. Is it normal for this firmware or I need to check the memory? Does it have memory diagnostic tool? Even without saving, I meet strange bugs, like desynchronization of decoder and wave in the Zoom window from time to time. I do not believe that it is software with 3y of updates, I think it is defective hardware of my oscilloscope.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 02:40:31 am by agorlach »

Offline agorlach

« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2021, 02:51:56 pm »
First picture is before saving to WFV, second after loading back. No changes in settings, scale was enlarged after loading. Is it normal? I can load back one or two files from ten.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf