Author Topic: Anritsu 3654B (V Cal Kit) Floppy  (Read 866 times)

Offline jjoonathanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Anritsu 3654B (V Cal Kit) Floppy
« on: March 06, 2020, 02:59:26 pm »
Hi all! I'm trying to use an Anritsu 3654B cal kit that's missing its floppy disk with an HP 8510C VNA.

First thing's first: does anyone know where I might look to find the 3654B cal constants? For HP cal kits I can find typical values on keysight.com and in the relevant manuals, but that doesn't seem to be the case for the 3654B. Any leads would be appreciated :)

From there, I expect this will require a bit of fooling around. At worst, I suspect it will mean extracting delay and parasitic params from the Anritsu cal kit definitions and thinking about how those map to the HP LC parasitic polynomial models. If the kit includes .s1p files, the mapping is theoretically straightforward and I believe I've even seen a script to do it automatically somewhere, but my understanding is that .s1p files were an optional extra on 3654B cal kits so I can't count on it.

If I get really desperate, I've got some 3.5mm airline offsets so I can probably create a 2.4mm -> 3.5mm -> airlines -> 3.5mm -> 2.4mm -> short abomination and do a SSS calibration in python or something, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Ideas from people more experienced in the dark arts of VNA calibration would be welcome :)

Offline octillion

• Contributor
Re: Anritsu 3654B (V Cal Kit) Floppy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:51:59 pm »
I don't have the 3654B kit, but I have an Anritsu 3652 K kit with the floppy, which may give you an idea of what you're missing.  The floppy has four files which are only a few bytes each, and I'm not sure what they represent or how to use them.  Attached are the four files on the floppy, along with scans of two sheets of paper that came along with the kit.  I'm not sure if anything else ever came with the kit and went missing.

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan

Offline jjoonathanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:43:25 pm »
Ooh, those pieces of paper have everything that would be needed to use the kit with an 8510C -- no (more) model fitting necessary! The 0s for the L constants further suggest that the low-loss approximation is good to 40GHz, which gives me confidence in using a SSS cal out to 50GHz. Thanks for sharing!

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 11:21:40 pm »
I don't have the 3654B kit, but I have an Anritsu 3652 K kit with the floppy, which may give you an idea of what you're missing.  The floppy has four files which are only a few bytes each, and I'm not sure what they represent or how to use them.  Attached are the four files on the floppy, along with scans of two sheets of paper that came along with the kit.  I'm not sure if anything else ever came with the kit and went missing.

Just for interests sake, I had a go at decoding the files. I used 010 Editor (Hex editor)

Taking the first file I opened - Kit_info.kmo (Last two chars of extension = Male Open)

First 8 bytes are 4.6E-15 in Double Precision floating point - which matches the pdf for Male Open naming it after the gender of the port, not the gender of the cal standard.
Second 8 bytes are 9E-26
Next 8 bytes -7E-36
Next 8 bytes 2.6E-46
Next 8 bytes 0.005
Final 7 bytes serial #071025 in ASCII

So there is no more info than you already have hiding in there.

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf