Author Topic: El Cheapo C&C Model 150U Frequency Counter help  (Read 2524 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
El Cheapo C&C Model 150U Frequency Counter help
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:24:57 pm »
I got this for very cheap off Ebay (part of the ITT sale), and I certainly don't need it but I might sell it at a ham fest or even give it away. I've checked it out and all the functions work fine, except for one strange thing.

In the first pic you can see the mode select starts off in Freq A measurement. Then each time you press the "->" arrow button it cycles to the next mode to the right (you can also go left). The weird issue is that you can go to "Freq B", then it should go to "PRID" next, but what actually happens is that all the mode LEDs go out and it shows all Zeros in the display, with "GT (Gate) at the left and M HZ at the right (Mega Hz). See the second attachment. In this mode it will not read any frequency from a source from inputs A or B. I don't know what sort of "mode" it's in.

If you then press the -> mode button again, the mode goes to "PRID". You can then go right, through the other modes, or back left, but when it goes past "PRID" left, the next mode is the no mode LEDs mode again.

This sure seems strange as the thing seems to be in 100% working condition and in near-like-new condition. Has anyone experience with this particular model? Is this mystery "Mode", with all the mode LEDs out, do something I'm too dumb to understand?  :-//

PS I cannot find the user manual on the internets.

[hp] Hewlett . Packard

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
Re: El Cheapo C&C Model 150U Frequency Counter help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:03:05 am »
It seems that the full model number of this counter may actually be FC-150U. This counter seems to be one of several different variants sold under the C&C name, some of which also have an input "C" on certain versions.

http://www.gtrade.or.kr/buyer/product/Frequency-Counter.do?productId=C2004-0000009390&categoryId=

It is possible that the same firmware is being used for all versions, so the mystery mode where none of the LEDs are lit could be that it is trying to read from the input C which isn't installed on your version and doesn't have a light on the panel. This is backed up by the fact that it automatically switches to a MHz scale, as the C&C model FC-116 has an input C which goes from 50MHz-1600MHz.

It also seems that there are other models under different brands which appear very visually similar to this one and have similar part numbers and capabilities. it is possible that the C&C name is just a re-badge of some generic counter bought from an outside vendor.

http://www.elexp.com/PDFs/01FC150U.pdf

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: El Cheapo C&C Model 150U Frequency Counter help
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:06:47 pm »
It is possible that the same firmware is being used for all versions, so the mystery mode where none of the LEDs are lit could be that it is trying to read from the input C which isn't installed on your version and doesn't have a light on the panel. This is backed up by the fact that it automatically switches to a MHz scale, as the C&C model FC-116 has an input C which goes from 50MHz-1600MHz.

Good research and I think you are right. Seems like a very poor way of doing things, is it that big of a deal to just adjust a little code for another model?

Thanks.  :-+
[hp] Hewlett . Packard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf