Author Topic: Rigol customer service appaling  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Tangent_TrackerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol customer service appaling
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:25:07 am »
Does it strike anyone here as odd, when I have had continuous intermittent problems with the logic head of an MSO1104, that Rigol have now 'resolved' two separate tickets without any attempt to show interest in resolving the issue?

So basically we (University I work for) purchased this instrument from Telenonic a couple of years ago now. We rely on grants and because we were approaching the end of the period at the time we needed something that was fairly cheap to replace our previous MSO and this package seemed to tick all the right boxes.
Fast forward a few months after acquiring the scope and I started to see strange artifacts on some of the outputs. I quickly realised this was the scope, as swapping leads would not see the fault move over.

It seemed the problem presented itself in such a manner as to look as if the input was being capacitively coupled. A change of input would momentarily register, then the logic level would quickly reset.
At first, recalibrating would sort this issue out. But after a while calibrating would fail to solve the problem and I was effectively left with a couple unusable channels.

I sent the scope back to Telonic a number of times, and the response was that there was not a problem, but on the last occasion the scope was sent to China and the main board replaced with no explanation.
I think it was a couple weeks later that I started to see the same problem occur once again. When I have tried to attempt to establish what is going on there has been no real response, except Telonic to suggest 'User error'. Fantastic. So the customer is being accused of not using the equipment properly, despite never having problems with similar equipment previously, and despite using far more complicated bits of kit such as spectrum analyzers etc, and yet they cannot tell me how and why I have been using this equipment incorrectly. You would think that would be evident with Rigol changing the motherboard but hey ho, clearly they replaced on a whim. This is reminiscent of the sort of argument you would have with a dogy boiler installation engineer who has taken your money, sold you something not fit for purpose and after reporting it occasionally presenting faults, and him poking around a bit he turns around, accuses you of user error and is no longer really interested in getting to the bottom of the problem! Personally, I think it is pretty appalling.

It is worth noting that not once has the logic head been looked at properly, and considering the fault can suddenly right itself I would think this would be the first course of action for any logical approach!

Anyway, I had arranged for Telonic to sort sending the scope out once again but unfortunately, a couple of months elapsed due to me working on another project. My last email to commence the service has been ignored so I have decided to go direct to Rigol Support Centre for help.

Now things are not much better!

The following is a conversation I had with a chap named 'Christian' on Rigol Europe. (initial email ommitted).

Christian Rau Feb 25, 2019 06:54AM
Dear Mr. ****,

Can you please send me the serial number of the problem unit ? Than i can take a look in our database.

BR,

Support Team

******  Feb 28, 2019 02:53AM
Hi, the serial number is DS1ZD182200~~~

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Regards,

O******* Mar 05, 2019 01:37AM
Hi Christian, did you get my response?

Kind Regards,

*** Mar 05, 2019 01:39AM
Hi I have noticed this case has been 'resolved' but I am still waiting for a response after submitting my serial number.

Thanks,

Christian Rau Feb 27, 2019 04:20AM
Ich denke mal das ist der von Tom- Telonic

"Ich denke mal das ist der von Tom"

Which translated to "I think that's Tom's"

That is not helpful!

I reopened the case, and yet again no response. I started another case and yet again this has been closed without any response!

This is appalling service! At the very least, they should state any problems they have with me whether that be attitude, questionable use or whatever, at least I'de have something to go on there, but it seems they are just shutting down any attempt to try to get some sort of answer.
The sad fact is if I had purchased this scope from the likes of RS or Farnell, this would never have been an issue!

Utterly disappointed with the level of service received. I was always taught a customer is always right, and they should be looked after accordingly. But if there is a case where a customer is in the wrong, then they should be told be equally should be looked after to some extent. Certainly not treated like this!

Genuinely not sure what to do or how far to take this now. Ironically, the scope righted itself last week so I have once again been able to calibrate it but I can bet it won't last long again, and only if it lasts till our next renewal it will promptly end up in the bin where it belongs!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:02:06 pm by Tangent_Tracker »

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol customer service appaling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:25 am »
Does your university have a legal department you can consult? I found that some distributors need to be convinced to cooperate with signed letters from a lawyer.  >:D

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
Try removing the covers at both ends of the ribbon cable. Probably invalidates warranty though.

Worked for me on all but one channel, which seems to have a poor IDC crimp connection - yet to diagnose fully
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:14:16 am by hexreader »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:00:53 pm »
Does your university have a legal department you can consult? I found that some distributors need to be convinced to cooperate with signed letters from a lawyer.  >:D

This is something I might have to pursue tbh. Clearly, they are not interested in working with someone so low as Technician status!

Try removing the covers at both ends of the ribbon cable.

Worked for me on all but one channel, which seems to have a poor IDC crimp connection - yet to diagnose fully

Yes I had wondered tbh, the wires are very thin compared to our last scope. Really wouldn't have hurt for Rigol to check that though!

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »
Money back, much simpler.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:18:43 pm »
Money back, much simpler.

After having used it for a few years? Not bloody likely...

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 02:37:16 pm »
Used 1 month, repaired for 13 months ?
You could always ask, next time instant ask for money back as this specific model unexplainably is not good, dont go for repairs.

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 02:39:06 pm »
I like realism

Speaking of which....

Don't waste money on new Logic Analyser probe. You can buy much better stand-alone LA for less money (I think)

And for those thinking of buying Rigol MSO (with or without signal generator) over DS1054, then don't. I made that mistake. DS1054 is fantastic value for money, but IMHO the extra money for more expensive versions is nowhere near worth it, especially considering that logic probe seems to me to be unreliable. But maybe I was just unlucky.... ?

I am the proud owner of a Rigol DS1054. I am much less proud to be owner of over-priced Rigol MSO1104-s, but love it just the same.

Going off-topic maybe - does anyone know of an affordable option for making or buying a new logic analyser ribbon cable?  Wouldn't mind if my bad cable made a high number channel faulty, but bad channel 2 makes LA pretty much unusable. Rigol price for new probe is just too high, and with no assurance of better reliability.

As for poor customer service - haven't tried it, but who cares when DS1054 is so good for such a low price.

Just my opinions, and my ramblings....

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:54:51 pm by hexreader »

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:44 pm »
Christian Rau is a one stupid douche who likes to turn on ignorance. Had experience with him. In the nutshell "We see an issue but it's "within spec", so sod off"  :palm:. Does not matter that 4 last digits in 6,5 digit multimeter are jumpy garbage in AC ranges. After 4 times sending back and forth, I just destroyed that meter so AC does not work at all. Lo and behold, replacement did not have the issue.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:13 pm »
So the topic title should be 'Telonic service is appaling'.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:21:42 pm »
BOTH!  >:(

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 08:38:43 pm »
I have two cases open with Rigol NA (probably US based), and they are doing OK so far, often quick to respond. So sadly sounds like EU is worse off. Wish they'd have a knowledgeable equivalent to Keysights Daniel that could be counted on though.

See if you can get the LA cable to fail permanently, then hopefully they would replace it, if the issue is stated (who knows if the problem was clearly explained to Rigol China who attempted to repair it).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:00:50 pm »
Chances are they never send it to China. Or didn't bother to add a good description of the problem so the people in China had no idea on what problem to look for.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 11:11:15 am »
I have a similar problem with Keithley and their cool and expensive DMM. Some questions on the forum, they do not respond. In my opinion this is some kind of typical practice for unimportant clients: (

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
I have a similar problem with Keithley and their cool and expensive DMM. Some questions on the forum, they do not respond. In my opinion, this is some kind of typical practice for unimportant clients: (

Clearly working for one of the UK's largest University's doesn't qualify me as an 'important' client, doesn't it!

I will never purchase Rigol again nor will I deal with Telonic again. For the idiot in charge of dealing with customers at Telonic to turn round and cite user error stinks of bad customer service and not wanting to foot the bill for any period of time until Rigol deals with the problem. Utter joke.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:40 am »

High performance, excellent service, low cost....    choose any two?

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:20 pm »
https://www.ukecc.net/

They may help you.

The European center of Rigol are a few idiots that are playing with the customers, especially the mentioned Christian Rau!

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:16 am »
I on the other hand have received excellent warranty service from TEquipment and Rigol NA in the USA. That story is told elsewhere on the forum so I won't repeat it.  :blah:

My DS1054z is still working fine, still in daily use, third time's the charm. I don't know if I'd buy anything else from Rigol though; the stuff I can afford seems to have known problems and the other stuff... I can't afford. It's fun reading their promo materials though.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline DD4DA

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 12:33:46 pm »
Well, i had  done some different experiences with the german rigol support. I use a DSA815TG and a DS2000A several years and got an issue with the DSA, right in the first month of work with them. I contact rigol germany directly - even the seller could do this for me in the regular worrany time frame.

I phoned rigol germany and we did some simple checks to get clear for him, what's maybe happend. After just a few minutes, he decide o send me a replacement device to check them out again. This arrived me just a day later and i was able to confirm, that my device must be have an issue. After a call to rigol again, he send me a brand new device a day later - with all the papers i need. I send the others back to rigol and never got a Problem since a couple of years working with it.

The Company who sold me the devices was also very helpful - www.ame-hft.de; Alexander Meier is the company founder and i had phoned with him several times to help me, to develop an messuring application for the rigols. He is one of the official rigol reseller in germany and had also solved the issues i got. I just wanna save time and did it directly.

I would like to say, it's related by the handling of the support person, who thread or just dispatch your call. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf