Author Topic: Rigol DG1000Z vs. Sanford Research DS345?  (Read 341 times)

Offline W4PJBTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DG1000Z vs. Sanford Research DS345?
« on: February 12, 2024, 07:34:23 pm »
I came across an opportunity to buy a very nice condition Sanford Research DS 345. Obviously this was a top quality laboratory grade instrument back in its day. Pricing is similar to that of a new Rigol DG1000Z in 30mhz.

Is it worth putting an older, high-end function generator on my bench? Or do the benefits of having a modern, but lower end device outweigh having a piece of older high-end kit? Are there any functions or features? I would be missing one way or the other?

Not sure if there are any options installed in the Sanford research unit, or if any were even available.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can provide some feedback!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:44:28 pm by W4PJB »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Rigol DG1000Z vs. Sanford Research DS345?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 11:46:09 pm »
As much as I might hate to say it, the Rigol DG1000Z is probably a better choice unless you have a specific use for the Sanford Research DS345 or prefer its interface.

The largest difference might be that the Rigol has two channels and the SR has one channel.

Offline W4PJBTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DG1000Z vs. Sanford Research DS345?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 03:17:53 am »
Thanks for your reply, and great point about 1ch. vs 2ch.

I posted this on my way home from picking up a Keithley meter and Aligent power supply. The seller dropped this on me unexpectedly and asked if I would be interested. I told him I would have to get back to him as I was not familiar with that unit and wasn't prepared to make a decision. It seems like a real nice unit, and was in excellent condition, but I also know that sometimes technology moves on, and the "budget" item of today can exceed the "professional" item of yesterday.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf