Author Topic: Rigol DG1022 how to update the firmware?  (Read 26147 times)

Offline nikitchenkoTopic starter

Rigol DG1022 how to update the firmware?
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:26 pm »
A generator Models: Rigol DG1022. It currently installed firmware 00.03.00.08.00.00.02.10 Some functions do not work correctly. Official support sent me the update files and instructions. According to the instructions you must unzip the update file and copy it to the root of the USB flash. Flash must be formatted in fat32. Next, insert a flash unit, turn the unit on. In this moment, press the HELP up until the button MOD lights. The firmware update should begin . The device doesn't enter the flashing mode. Official support gave me the second option:
1.copy .GEL file to the root of USB flash
2.power on DG1022, insert USB into DG1022
3.press "store / recall" button, change the disk to "UDisk".
4.there will be a note "update now?"
5.press "yes"
6. after finish update, check the version
This second option does not work. Step 4 does not see the device firmware upgrade.
How can I perform the update. Thank you for attention and participation!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DG1022 how to update the firmware?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »
I never updated the DG1022 since I own a DG2021A, but I have an upgrade manual on my HDD that describes the procedure for the DG1022 - and as far as I recall, I followed it for my DG2021A.

1. Download the proper firmware file and transfer to the root directory of a USB memory stick. Valid firmware for the DG series have the *.LDR file extension.
2. Plug the instrument in to an uninterruptible power supply and turn the instrument on.
3. Insert USB memory stick into front panel USB connection.
4. Press Store/Recall key on the front panel. This will bring up an update verification screen. Press Yes.
5. The instrument will proceed to erase the flash and overwrite the flash, as below. This process will take approximately 5 minutes.
6. Once the flash is written, the instrument will notify you to power cycle the instrument.

Note that the firmware has a LDR extension. This is also the extension I used for my DG2021A ("DG2000_System.ldr").
Update procedure is dated 2011, so maybe they have changed the file format/extension, but it seems unlikely.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Matje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:48 pm »
A generator Models: Rigol DG1022. It currently installed firmware 00.03.00.08.00.00.02.10 Some functions do not work correctly. Official support sent me the update files and instructions. According to the instructions you must unzip the update file and copy it to the root of the
[Update instructions]
This second option does not work. Step 4 does not see the device firmware upgrade.

Usually the device just doesn't recognize the USB flash drive. This is a common problem with anything not a PC.

Try using another USB flash drive, maybe with different capacity. In my experience about 2 out of 3 USB flash drives work.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:36 pm »
If really the USB stick is not recognized, it's usually not the stick itself, but some subtle issues with formatting the stick.
E.g. some devices (e.g. Owon Scopes) need the stick to be formatted with 4kb block size. Certain tools that create bootable USB sticks also only accept specifically formatted sticks.
There are tools to format USB sticks, e.g. HPUSBDisk.exe.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »
If really the USB stick is not recognized
USB flash drive correctly is recognized by the DG1022, allows you to save and recall waveforms.
Note that the firmware has a LDR extension. This is also the extension I used for my DG2021A ("DG2000_System.ldr").
Update procedure is dated 2011, so maybe they have changed the file format/extension, but it seems unlikely.
Your instructions on how to update the firmware are very similar to that I received in oficial service.
File extension has really changed, and now the file has extention GEL (see attachment, zip rename into rar)
My attempts to upgrade ..

Thank you!

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:35:12 pm »
A generator Models: Rigol DG1022. It currently installed firmware 00.03.00.08.00.00.02.10 Some functions do not work correctly. Official support sent me the update files and instructions. According to the instructions you must unzip the update file and copy it to the root of the USB flash. Flash must be formatted in fat32. Next, insert a flash unit, turn the unit on. In this moment, press the HELP up until the button MOD lights. The firmware update should begin . The device doesn't enter the flashing mode. Official support gave me the second option:
1.copy .GEL file to the root of USB flash
2.power on DG1022, insert USB into DG1022
3.press "store / recall" button, change the disk to "UDisk".
4.there will be a note "update now?"
5.press "yes"
6. after finish update, check the version
If you update the DG1022 with firmware 2.12 you will loose your calibration, and the instrument needs to be calibrated again. I had this, and I cannot recommend this situation. It's not worth it.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »
If you update the DG1022 with firmware 2.12 you will loose your calibration, and the instrument needs to be calibrated again. I had this, and I cannot recommend this situation. It's not worth it.
Official support keeps silent about this unpleasant moment...
I want to update the firmware in the hope to get rid of errors in the device. This unit during generation N-number of pulses only does it right the first time only. When I run repetition manually, the number of pulses becomes incorrect (false).

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »
Official support keeps silent about this unpleasant moment...
I want to update the firmware in the hope to get rid of errors in the device. This unit during generation N-number of pulses only does it right the first time only. When I run repetition manually, the number of pulses becomes incorrect (false).
Rigol probably also does not know this  :(
I have the calibration guide attached, however to output offset part does not work.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 04:24:44 pm »
Can you tell me when calibrating the power of 0 dB is taken as 1 mW?
Thank you for the valuable information!

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »

Yes, this problem is very frustrating  >:(
When you press trigger for the first time everything is ok, but every manual triggering after that generates another stream of pulses approx. 1.78ms later.
My DG1022 is old, with firmware 00.02.00.06.00.02.07. and does not support any newer firmware...  :(

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:50 pm »
Can you tell me when calibrating the power of 0 dB is taken as 1 mW?

Yes, 0dBm is 1mW (50ohm terminated).

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 06:59:53 pm »
The release notes do not mention that this problem is fixed, but my Chinese is not to good  :)
See attachment

Offline Velund

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »
Maybe someone know something about DG1022U firmware updates?

Rigol does not responded to my questions yet.

Does 1022U use the same firmware as regular 1022?

Offline IU8BBM

• HW Designer in Naples (ITA)
    • Personal webserver
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:38 pm »
Hi everybodyl, I'm Luca, this is my first post even if I follow Dave since years, and I'm an electronic engineering student. I came over this thread while trying to update my DG1022U (illegally sold in EU, only after contacting Rigol cust.supp. I've found out that older rigs, U version, are not CE marked, anyway worthed the 259€ i've paid it, no differences with the EU DG1022A, except the mark). Talking with EU and CN support this is how I upgraded the fw solving thus the issues with LabView not working drivers (my old fw revision did not support std IEEE488.2, undocumented in official latest prg manual, *RST and *TRG commands).

This is written by me, joining all the infos I had from cust. support for my successfully upgrade of a DG1022U from 00.03.00.11.00.01.03 to the latest firmware 03.03.00.11.00.03.00 (sent to myself by Rigol cust support).

The following drivers, attached to this post, are compatible with all DG1022 DG1022A and DG1022U version, upgrading the instrument will not lose every data saved in the instrument.

0) Download all the required files, attached to this post
1) Turn off instrument
2) Disconnect the USB cable used for PC connection from the back USB B slave port
3) Pressing  repeatedly the HELP button, turn on the instrument
4) Boot will be stopped, the only MOD led button will turn on, stopping booting sequence
5) Insert USB Stick where previously you have been saved on the root the "DG10x2Update.GEL" file unzipped from "DG1022X(DSP)Update(Bootloader).rar"
6) Wait until all led will stop blinking (around a minute)
7) Turn off instrument
8) Repeat steps 3-5 with the GEL file from "DG1022X(DSP)Update(Normal).rar"
9) Wait until all led will stop blinking (around 3 minutes, will start blinking up to the ARB button)
10) Turn off instrument
11) Turn on instrument and in Utility>Test>Info check 03.03.00.01.00.03.00 version is correctly installed.

WARNING:
Be carefull to check Version note to verify that the upgrade is compliant with the instrument version.
An UPS is warmly raccomended while updating.
Be carefull to not: disconnect usb stick and turn off the instrument while updating the firmware, an error in the bootloader update sequence will brick the instrument.
Dont accuse me after instrument malfunctioning after upgrading, updating failure or any other mistakes; take all this infos at your own risk. I was next to an heart attack while the instrument didn't acted how rigol support told me it had to do.

Sorry for my broken english, it's-a-me, another italian super mario.
Please give a feedback answering to this post if you upgraded successfully your rigol awg.

Have fun, and enjoy the annoying blinking power button,
Luca, IU8BBM
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:44:59 am by IU8BBM »

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 03:16:00 pm »
My DG1022 is old, with firmware 00.02.00.06.00.02.07. and does not support any newer firmware...  :(

Damm mine is even older
Version      00.02.00.06.00.02.05

I have requested new firmware , but wonder if they have one   :-\

I'm especially annoyed about having to select the external ref manually every time i turn it on.
It won't remember my selection  :--

/Bingo

Offline Igor_k

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:22:20 pm »
Hello,
Sorry for my bad English.
Please help to solve my problem.
Initially, the DG1022 was Firmvawe Version: 00.01.00.04.00.02.03
By mistake I flashed Firmvawe Version: 00.01.00.04.02.02.07 (DG10x2_Update.ldr)
Then stopped working CH1. when I try to turn on CH1,
message is displayed : "OverLoad protect, The output is off"
The reason seems to incompatibility firmware. Send me please
original Firmvawe Version: 00.01.00.04.00.02.03 or any other
compatible.
Thanks in advance , Igor Komarov

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »
Hi everybodyl, I'm Luca, this is my first post even if I follow Dave since years, and I'm an electronic engineering student. I came over this thread while trying to update my DG1022U (illegally sold in EU, only after contacting Rigol cust.supp. I've found out that older rigs, U version, are not CE marked, anyway worthed the 259€ i've paid it, no differences with the EU DG1022A, except the mark). Talking with EU and CN support this is how I upgraded the fw solving thus the issues with LabView not working drivers (my old fw revision did not support std IEEE488.2, undocumented in official latest prg manual, *RST and *TRG commands).

This is written by me, joining all the infos I had from cust. support for my successfully upgrade of a DG1022U from 00.03.00.11.00.01.03 to the latest firmware 03.03.00.11.00.03.00 (sent to myself by Rigol cust support).

The following drivers, attached to this post, are compatible with all DG1022 DG1022A and DG1022U version, upgrading the instrument will not lose every data saved in the instrument.

0) Download all the required files, attached to this post
1) Turn off instrument
2) Disconnect the USB cable used for PC connection from the back USB B slave port
3) Pressing  repeatedly the HELP button, turn on the instrument
4) Boot will be stopped, the only MOD led button will turn on, stopping booting sequence
5) Insert USB Stick where previously you have been saved on the root the "DG10x2Update.GEL" file unzipped from "DG1022X(DSP)Update(Bootloader).rar"
6) Wait until all led will stop blinking (around a minute)
7) Turn off instrument
8) Repeat steps 3-5 with the GEL file from "DG1022X(DSP)Update(Normal).rar"
9) Wait until all led will stop blinking (around 3 minutes, will start blinking up to the ARB button)
10) Turn off instrument
11) Turn on instrument and in Utility>Test>Info check 03.03.00.01.00.03.00 version is correctly installed.

WARNING:
Be carefull to check Version note to verify that the upgrade is compliant with the instrument version.
An UPS is warmly raccomended while updating.
Be carefull to not: disconnect usb stick and turn off the instrument while updating the firmware, an error in the bootloader update sequence will brick the instrument.
Dont accuse me after instrument malfunctioning after upgrading, updating failure or any other mistakes; take all this infos at your own risk. I was next to an heart attack while the instrument didn't acted how rigol support told me it had to do.

Sorry for my broken english, it's-a-me, another italian super mario.
Please give a feedback answering to this post if you upgraded successfully your rigol awg.

Luca, IU8BBM

Hi, I can confirm that your manual and firmware works. I was able to successfully update my DG1022u from version 0003 00 08 00 01 02.
Anyway, it was not without a struggle.
Even though I thought that the bootloader update passed successfully the opposite was truth. When I tried the normal update the procedure stuck and the ramp button was blinking for ten minutes until I decided to switch it off via the power button. Then I repeated the whole procedure and it worked this time.
Thanks !

Offline miranv

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 07:04:38 am »
Dear Luka,
I just want to say, thank you for upgrade instruction. Today I upgraded my RG1022U. Work!
Have A nice day,

Miran

Offline Igor_k

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 02:11:03 pm »
Hi everybody. Help repair the DG1022 (need Firmvawe Version: 00.01.00.04.00.02.03)
During 7 months, I wrote letters to tech support, but one letter received no reply.
On Web sites, Rigol version is compatible with 00.01.00.04.00.02.03 could not find.
Tell me what to do?

Offline mimi

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »
Hi everybodyl, I'm Luca, this is my first post even if I follow Dave since years, and I'm an electronic engineering student. I came over this thread while trying to update my DG1022U (illegally sold in EU, only after contacting Rigol cust.supp. I've found out that older rigs, U version, are not CE marked, anyway worthed the 259€ i've paid it, no differences with the EU DG1022A, except the mark). Talking with EU and CN support this is how I upgraded the fw solving thus the issues with

Luca, IU8BBM

Hello,

@Luca, IU8BBM, thank you!  :-+

Upgrade worked fine for mine DG1022:

Old: 00.03.00.08.00.02.08   (That is version 2.8 in Rigol speech)
Now: 03.03.00.08.00.03.00 (That is version 3.0 in Rigol speech. Note the first byte "03" apparently designated the "03" bootloader now).

The actual flashing went faster than assumed: Only a few seconds for the bootloader .GEL. Less than one minute for "normal" .GEL file.
I was curious what happens if just the bootloader is updated: The device appeared to be bricked, so that I was afraid that the bootloader flashing failed and I retried several times...
After flashing the "normal" .GEL the device was revived  8).

Calibration remains untouched.

The firmware solves the issue with the manual burst trigger.

Best  regards

Thomas

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 10:23:09 pm »
Just in case anybody else has the same difficulties as me regarding the FW update on the DG1022..

I had carried out the procedure exactly as explained above, however it failed :o  Subsequent attempts also failed and I was
fearful that I had turned my DG1022 into a paperweight due to a corrupted FW update.

The unit would still start, but with either all the front panel lights lit (no display) OR just the Mod, Store & Burst buttons lit up permanently, however they would flicker every so often if
there was a USB stick inserted. Initially I thought that the flickering was perhaps due to a file still being read but after 15 minutes I gave up, a few times

In the end I tried just putting the bootloader AND FW files on the same USB stick then ran the startup procedure again.. This time It worked! And the updated FW had gone in too :)

I also had the same problem as in the thread below with certain buttons not working (due to requiring unlock,) but using JimBeams SCPI commands with Ultrasigma corrected that.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dg1022-firmware-help-please!/msg815269/#msg815269
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:38:10 am by orbiter »

Offline cesarpaz

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 12:56:47 am »
Hi all.

I managed to recover the start system of the device. But now he tells me that many functions and keys are locked.

As could I unlock these functions and keys?  I try with this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dg1022-firmware-help-please!/msg815269/#msg815269

Sorry for ignorance

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:05:08 am by cesarpaz »

Offline Velund

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 04:58:44 am »
Just upgraded my DG1022U, looks like it is working. ;)

Old: 00.03.00.08.00.01.02
New: 03.03.00.08.00.03.00

Hope, that upgrade will solve annoying bug with manual burst trigger activated while backlight is turned off by timeout. Not tested yet.

Offline barjammar

• Contributor
  • I need to know more about this stuff ...
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:57 pm »
Hi EEV bloggers
I failed firmware upgrade on the DG1022 so now the screen is blank
can anyone describe a firmware upgrade using buttons and knobs as if a blind person was doing it? Especially, what button is confirm/yes ?
Posting a video showing a successful firmware upgrade would really help!
Also exactly what files do i need on the USB?
I used "DG10x2Update.GEL" to cause this problem.  I saw mention of a boot load update file as well somewhere.. is that necessary or relevant?

I read the discussions here and I know everyone is trying to explain in English as a second language but.. some of the statements are almost meaningless, illogical or wrong.  Take Rigol instructions for example "3) Pressing  repeatedly the HELP button, turn on the instrument 4) Boot will be stopped, the only MOD led button will turn on, stopping booting sequence"

Sigh!
Barry

Offline Paul_Elec

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 11:57:26 am »
Hi everybody. Help repair the DG1022 (need Firmvawe Version: 00.01.00.04.00.02.03)
During 7 months, I wrote letters to tech support, but one letter received no reply.
On Web sites, Rigol version is compatible with 00.01.00.04.00.02.03 could not find.
Tell me what to do?

Hi everyone,
I am having exactly the same issue than Igor. Rigol customer service has been receptive but unable to help due to the age of the instrument (10 year old now).
Anyone would have the old firmware 00.01.00.04.00.02.03 available by any chance?
Thanks in advance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf