Author Topic: Rigol DG1022Z or Siglent sdg1032x  (Read 7567 times)

Offline rauldmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DG1022Z or Siglent sdg1032x
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:13:14 pm »
I search a new AWG with 2 channels, the maximum frequency is not determinant factor for me, I repair power electronics,  test of automotive sensors and I do some things with arduino or pic. I see specifications of two equipments, Rigol DG1022Z and Siglent
sdg1032x, just similar, The Rigol is probable more powerful, but Siglent display is better. The specifications are a thing but, the on field performance is the final veredict, anyone have experience with these devices?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol DG1022Z or Siglent sdg1032x
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:23:56 pm »
All SDG1032X we have in the field are running fine and customers seem pretty happy with their capabilities....even the few hacked ones I know of.  :-X
Not had one once of problems with any here in NZ.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:47:30 pm »
Did you consider the Feeltech FY6900? From a functional point of view it can do the same as the generators you are considering but at a much lower price.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:52:17 pm »
Actually if you need square waves and pulses SDG1032X has much better performance..
Rigol has longer AWG memory.. They are both worth the money, but each has edge in some functions..

For general use as siggen, I would go with SDG1032X because of dedicated pulse generation and faster edges..

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 01:29:36 am »
ok thanks for your help, on arbitrary waveform is very important the memory? I have a Agilent dsox2002a with  1M of memory, for example if I get the waveform  from oscilloscope on csv format, I can generate this waveform with in every AWG right? For example in the rigol can hack and get even more memory, on siglent with hack can extend memory? it has just same memory than my 33120a, I think for waveforms created on software the memory is not important, but for direct capture from oscilloscope, the memory is very important I´m wrong?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 01:36:33 am »
ok thanks for your help, on arbitrary waveform is very important the memory? I have a Agilent dsox2002a with  1M of memory, for example if I get the waveform  from oscilloscope on csv format, I can generate this waveform with in every AWG right? For example in the rigol can hack and get even more memory, on siglent with hack can extend memory? it has just same memory than my 33120a, I think for waveforms created on software the memory is not important, but for direct capture from oscilloscope, the memory is very important I´m wrong?
Not only that but also the ability to read the CSV file into the AWG in an easy way. Besides the memory length the method of loading the CSV file into the waveform memory is just as important. The most convenient way is being able to read the CSV file directly on the AWG itself without needing a PC. I did some testing with a Tektronix AFG31000 series generator (which is in an entirely different price class) and it can read CSV files from oscilloscopes by itself which is very convenient. Several years ago I tried to do the same on a Siglent SDG1000 series generator but that was a major PITA due to the crappy PC software. Basically the whole operation came down to changing a bit of the header in the CSV file so the generator could read it; it wouldn't have been hard for the generator to read the CSV file directly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:39:18 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 01:53:27 am »
sdg 1000x can get directly from csv without modify? I read on manual, says  can get csv from USB stick, but even change a little the header I think is not big problem, the problem is the numer of data I can get from oscilloscope. Also I want get a old TDS3012B, this scopes only has 10k of memory, but, if siglent only can drive up to 16k, only old tektronix data would valid for it?  or it can comprime data and only get 16k from agilent capture?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 04:49:39 am »
The new EasyWaveX allows you to build custom waveforms for uploading into SDG ****X models directly or via USB stick and uploading captures from Siglent scopes to be regenerated but I don't believe EasyWaveX will interface with other brands.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:32 am »
If hacking is an option for you, I would go with Rigol's DG811. Currently best bang-for-the-buck "professional" entry-level AWG. Convert to DG992 level and be happy...

P.S. Looks awkward but performs well.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:42 am »
If hacking is an option for you, I would go with Rigol's DG811. Currently best bang-for-the-buck "professional" entry-level AWG. Convert to DG992 level and be happy...

P.S. Looks awkward but performs well.

Except with pulses. Specially when go to long periods with short fast edge pulses even SDG1032X beats it hands down. Just like on off.. other can, other can not. So all have pros and cons. 
Take out 100ns wide pulse with 10ns rise and fall time. Set period to 1s. So simple thing and just total game over. After then you change period to 2s ... oh well... it do not tell anything and is just write over your last pulse width what was in 1 second case 10us. And after you change only period, then pulse width is 20us. Then you change period to 100s. What a ... it have changed pulse width to 1ms and now it have also changed pulse rise and fall times to more slow. Even with 20ms pulse period minimum width is limited to 200ns... I tried emulate one very low energy very low speed information transfer and ... with this generator it fails totally. It was surprise that Rigol need even these modern models keep pulse width and period time coupled together. I do not at all understand why. Generator need wait even one day and then generate 50ns pulse without any extra than enter these parameters, period and width and rise and fall time.

This is why Siglent have bit different pulse engine... only its name is real fun... "Easy Pulse"... I do not know where they have found this Easy to this... what is Easy... its  one function is generate period independent pulse length and rise and fall time what is also adjustable.

But overall if look DS811 mod 922 features and price - amazing instrument wiyh full of features and quite good performance and totally different building quality than some FeelE  total crap shit toys. I have 2 of these FE/FY6900 toys here. I have not many times seen this kind of shit junk, even all connectors are most crap ones what can found in junk markets. Also it do not meet any single electric safety standards-rules, also not China domestic ones.

And DS811 is not far more in price.  When it is mod to 922 it is, still with its some cons, good value for money in this class, there is so many pros over these cons. Except if need things what it can not, like these pulses what I told. Building quality is good+.  Outlook is weird. Also it do not have fan.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 01:17:31 pm »
I’ve used the SDG1032X, the DG822 and the DS1022Z and I’d probably go with the DG811 and crack it which is fairly easy.  Note that the frequency counter on all of them is dire and useless so don’t buy it for that. SDG1032X is fairly nice though but the bang/buck is off.

rf-loop mentions pulse issues which you can work around by triggering the second channel off the first on the rigol by connecting a BNC cable up :)

No fan is a win for me!  Someone has made a 3DP cup holder for the DG8xx as well if the odd design is too much for your lab  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Giallograle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 12:56:12 am »
I always hacked my tools like oscilloscopes, but, uses same hardware dg811 than dg992?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 09:44:52 am »
Yeah DG811 is same as DG922. When you crack it the LEDs on the panel all go red as well!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 03:30:32 pm »
I’ve used the SDG1032X, the DG822 and the DS1022Z and I’d probably go with the DG811 and crack it which is fairly easy.  Note that the frequency counter on all of them is dire and useless so don’t buy it for that. SDG1032X is fairly nice though but the bang/buck is off.

rf-loop mentions pulse issues which you can work around by triggering the second channel off the first on the rigol by connecting a BNC cable up :)

No fan is a win for me!  Someone has made a 3DP cup holder for the DG8xx as well if the odd design is too much for your lab  :-DD

And there after then two independent channels for generate these pulses?  So how easy it is - one cable?  If I tell problem do you thing that I do not know what I am talking. 
I need one 1000ns pulse and  emulate situation there is other much more short pulse and important is its timing related to this other pulse. In real system it make "window" (measured when long pulse is high) Second, short pulse position inside this 1000ns "window" is this important thing and it need simulate with generator in preliminary testing phase. And it need work even if pulse interval is 10ms  or 10000s or what ever and it need be repeatedly adjust for test different cases.

Bit same kind of thing, I remember one generator (Not Rigol) what was advertised it have two independent channels and then it have also modulations.... oh well... when use modulation it was 1 channel generator... because it need other channel for generate modulating frequency... so, many kind of toys.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 03:43:01 pm »
Well the problem is you end up having one usable pulse generator out of two channels off these cheap arbs. One BNC cable. First channel generates the trigger pulse, second channel is triggered by that and generates the output pulse. As for the window that can be pulled off the sync output for the first pulse.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re after there TBH but you can get pretty creative with these after a couple of cans of red bull or cups of coffee  :-DD

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 04:25:18 pm »
There isn't any difficulty generating short, fast pulses with a single channel of the DG800/900 series: Configure the pulse you like at an arbitrary frequency, and then use the "N Pulse Burst" function with the pulse count set to 1 to adjust the repetition frequency. My example shows a pulse of 16ns width, rise-and fall times of ~8ns (limit for this AWG series) and a frequency of 1 Hz. The other channel is still available and no external wiring etc. required. Sorry for the shitty quality of the photo...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:38:36 pm by TurboTom »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 03:46:05 am »
Of course I know what it can do. So trivial basics.
But...

When I need 2 independent short pulses, as I told,  with independent but sometimes long period or very long period and so that both pulses width can adjust independently and with small ns class steps and so that  I can fine adjust other channel pulse position relative to other channel I really do not change my needs to match generator. In this case I change generator so that it match to my needs. Not vice versa because I am not playing just fun for spending time.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:50:20 am by rf-loop »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 05:02:38 am »
Is a difficult decision, but siglent i like it for pulse tecnology front host USB port and ethernet. Rigol dg811 is interesant for fanless design and very high power after to hack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 02:23:16 am »
Finally I got the SDG 2042X and unlock to 120 MHz, very good equiment for test, can read csv files from, DSOX2002a, TDS3064B, and siglent sds1104x-e, even with last mencioned oscilloscope can do bode plotting without need USB connection, can be over LAN. With  very long memory i dont worry for memory data points from my oscilloscope or simulation software like PSIM.

Offline Yura123

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2021, 01:50:36 pm »
Hello everyone. The characteristics of the DG1022Z generator indicate that it has a memory of 2 Mpt. In ARB mode, I can only specify 16.384 Kpt. What kind of memory are we talking about? And why is 1 SaRate/S equal to 100mHz ?

Offline 123rolle

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 06:34:55 pm »
Which one is the best deal (I have Siglent SDS1104X-E):

Rigol DG811 - 282€
Rigol DG1022Z - 329€
Siglent SDG1032X - 363€

All prices include shipping + 2pc of bnc 50ohm cables)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2022, 06:51:08 pm »
Don't know about the Rigol, but you have a Siglent DSO. If you want to do Bode plots the Siglent DSO supports it's own AWG I believe. Another is check out the 2 Tone IMD test, and note that if the DSO was perfect from an IMD standpoint, then this implies the AWG is at least as good as shown which is pretty good and likely even better than shown due to the DSO IMD!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/two-tone-test-with-scope-and-sa/msg4232071/?topicseen#msg4232071

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2022, 10:03:28 pm »
Buy the DG811. It can be cracked and turned into a DG992 2x 100MHz.

I have a Siglent scope and I chose the Rigol AWG.

Thread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/

The DG811 is also silent unlike the other two.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:05:26 pm by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2022, 11:33:16 pm »
Buy the DG811. It can be cracked and turned into a DG992 2x 100MHz.

I have a Siglent scope and I chose the Rigol AWG.

Thread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/

The DG811 is also silent unlike the other two.
Unlike you 123rolle has the 4ch X-E which has the Bode plot feature mawyatt has mentioned and as Mike is quite experienced with it he knows it's value and the mistake it could be to not be able to use it with an incompatible AWG.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2022, 11:47:45 pm »
Which one is the best deal (I have Siglent SDS1104X-E):

Rigol DG811 - 282€
Rigol DG1022Z - 329€
Siglent SDG1032X - 363€

Compare their specs and compare this to your needs.. ;)

At work, we got the rigol I´ve bought for us two years ago because of the 2-channels.
At home I got the siglent.
Something on the rigol I don´t like, couldn´t explain what actually, must check it in the next week.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf