Author Topic: USB powered Fluke 123  (Read 4132 times)

Offline TTLLOGICTopic starter

USB powered Fluke 123
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:35:15 am »
I decided to ditch the internal 3000mAh NiMH battery pack in favor of a 10400mAh Li-Po USB battery pack. Please share your thoughts, I certainly enjoy the increased run time and ability to recharge from USB instead of having to use the bulky Fluke power adapter.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
Re: USB powered Fluke 123
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:09:37 am »
That is very cool.  :-+

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:35:47 am »
Thats a very good idea.
Thanks for sharing.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
It's a cool idea.

Just make sure you're not making measurements while the meter is connected to your PC's usb.

Make sure the charger is fully isolated.

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:38:16 am »
I'm affraid that you have violated the isolation of the meter. I'm not sure how this unit is build but bare usb ground connector doesn't look safe in this solution.

Offline TTLLOGICTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:33:29 am »
I'm affraid that you have violated the isolation of the meter. I'm not sure how this unit is build but bare usb ground connector doesn't look safe in this solution.

The shield of the USB connector is not connected. For my application, test and measurement on battery powered material handling equipment (i.e. forklifts); I am not concerned about isolation. Of course anyone who would perform this modification should understand the inherent risks if measurements on live mains circuits were going to be performed. In my case I do not do service work on mains connected equipment, the very minimal risk is far outweighed by the benefits gained.

It's a cool idea.

Just make sure you're not making measurements while the meter is connected to your PC's usb.

Make sure the charger is fully isolated.

Thank You, the point of this modification was to not have to connect a charger to the meter during extended use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf