Author Topic: Agilent E3620A power supply - no schematic available says Agilent support  (Read 6662 times)

Offline rfmakerTopic starter

I just purchased an Agilent (not HP) E3620A dual power supply from eBay. This is a "made in Malaysia" unit with Agilent part number circuit boards inside. This model is still in production and is fully supported.

The supply is working fine, but for future reference I wanted a service manual. I downloaded one (July 2013 edition) from the Agilent web site. In the manual are references to the schematic at the back of the manual. However, there is no schematic included in the manual.

So I wrote to Agilent support to ask about schematic availability and provided the serial number. This was their response:

"The E3620A is presently supported by whole unit exchange. In light of this support model, certain elements of the User/Service guide have been eliminated - even where the[y] previously existed, they have not been maintained and contained too many inaccuracies. So, the division that supports this instrument decide[d] to withdraw/eliminate them from the documentation. No schematics or parts lists for this instrument are available."

Not available? Am I to believe that Agilent does not maintain schematics for a current product? Or is it that they simply do not want me to have a copy, perhaps to push me into buying a maintenance contract?

This is not making me feel good about Agilent. I guess I'll see if I can find a schematic in some dark corner of the Internet.

Any comments?

Thanks

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Agilent E3620A power supply - no schematic available says Agilent support
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:39:07 pm »
Here you go . with schematics.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:50:13 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

alm

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »
Of course some division will have the schematics, just like they have the schematics to their top-end DSOs. Doesn't mean that the service/customer service departments have a copy, or that they're going to give it to you. Same for any recent instrument, like the U8000 series of power supplies.

Trying to locate an older copy of the service manual is probably your best bet, but I don't see why you'd be surprised by this. Can you name any test equipment manufacturer that released schematics for a product released in the past few years? Nobody does that anymore, not even Agilent.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:04 pm »
I got the manual (with schematic) for the E3610A just a few months ago and it was still in production.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:07 am »
free_electron

Thank you. I managed to download the PDF file but the process was not as I expected (with Windows, using right click, Save target as...), somewhat confusing as far as the file names that appeared.

Can you tell me the proper way to download a document from a post?

Thanks again.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:21 am »
rdl,

Just curious, from where did you get the manual? The Agilent web site?

Thanks

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:08:10 am »
Actually, I probably got it somewhere else other than Agilent. I thought I downloaded it the same time as I got all the "Service Notes" from the Agilent web site, but now that I've checked I see that the pdf file was downloaded about a week earlier. It is an official Agilent document though, so apparently at one time it was available with the schematic.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:24:00 am »
free_electron

Thank you. I managed to download the PDF file but the process was not as I expected (with Windows, using right click, Save target as...), somewhat confusing as far as the file names that appeared.

Can you tell me the proper way to download a document from a post?

Thanks again.

That seems to be something with the forum.
i uploaded the pdf file. When downloading the .pdf extension seems to disappear.

It is a simple pdf file.
Note that the manual does not contain the schematic for the meters. i have the schematic for the meters too if you need it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:27:23 am by free_electron »
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:13 am »
free_electron,

Yes, I noticed that the meter schematic was not there.

It looks like there are two boards behind the front panel. The one facing the main board seems to be mostly digital circuitry (I see some Microchip ICs) while the other I guess holds the LED meter displays.

So yes, please, I would very much like to have the meter schematic(s).

Thanks.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:33:08 am »
those ic's were originally teledyne , but thatwas bought by microchip.

i will look up the schematic for the meters. and post it here. i believe it is in the 3614 manual.

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:09:12 am »

That seems to be something with the forum.
i uploaded the pdf file. When downloading the .pdf extension seems to disappear.

It is a simple pdf file.
Note that the manual does not contain the schematic for the meters. i have the schematic for the meters too if you need it.

Yes is something wrong with the forum, but if you delete the Cookies (just for eevblog.com) the problem is resolved.

The following users thanked this post: Ovi4

Offline Ovi4

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 02:55:40 pm »
Hi, any chance to repost the PDF file containing the digital 7 Seg display schematics, please? I cannot find them anywhere
Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf