Author Topic: Rigol DL3021 AC Selector switch confusing !  (Read 1941 times)

Offline maxpayneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DL3021 AC Selector switch confusing !
« on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »
It may be a dumb question but I dont wanna destroy my newly bought equipment ! :D

https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DL3021/Electronic-Loads/product-reviews/

I am in 230V country. The manual description and the AC selector switch is confusing me.

From manual, "When the switch lever is located at a different position, it indicates that a different voltage rating is selected. When the switch lever is at the left, it indicates that 230 V is selected. When the switch lever is at the right, it indicates that 115 V is selected."

Actually what is happening here is that when the lever is at the left, it shows 115V and vice versa. That is completely opposite of the manual description !

Can the users tell me what will be the right position position for my 230V line.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DL3021 AC Selector switch confusing !
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:10:28 pm »
Do you have access to 115 through a variac or anything? Could test that way, otherwise trust the manual and hope the switch is indicating you'd move it a firection to get the listed voltage.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:16:07 pm »
Not that it applies to you but for anyone wondering in the future, if you have 115V you can safely test your equipment on either setting.  The 115V setting activates either a second set of windings or a voltage doubler allowing 230V equipment to operate on 115V.  Equipment will (usually) just not work on the wrong volt setting.  This does not apply if you have 230V mains. 

I would agree that the Rigol instrument is designed poorly, that switch needs some positive marking around the case.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:20:13 pm »
Could it be this unit was incorrectly assembled and the switch is turned 180°? Otherwise I agree it is quite confusing by Rigol.

Easy way to check is to measure the resistance between line and neutral. Highest resistance is the 230Vac setting.

The following users thanked this post: maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:04:25 pm »
Could it be this unit was incorrectly assembled and the switch is turned 180°? Otherwise I agree it is quite confusing by Rigol.

Easy way to check is to measure the resistance between line and neutral. Highest resistance is the 230Vac setting.

Did the resistance measurement. it seems the manual states the opposite !

when the lever is at right position, resistance is around 58 Ohms
when the lever is at left position, resistance is around 20 Ohms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:46:28 pm »
Got reply from the tech support,

"You will need to have the selector switch moved all the way over to the right. So that the red switch is reading 230 on it", which confirms my measurement also.

That means their manual states wrong !

Anyway, powered up and using it now :)

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:05 pm »
That means, as noted above, that the switch is mounted upside down. If you rotate it the manual will be correct and the screen print on the back will match the switch.

The following users thanked this post: maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 09:08:56 pm »
Very unexpected for a 500 USD product !  :popcorn:

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:25:01 pm »
Hopefully that's the biggest problem you have with it

Offline MikeInAlaska

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »
4 years later and nothing has changed. My new one just arrived. I called Rigol support, and  they said, slide the switch so it says 230V if you want 120V.

i.e., for a 120v country, slide switch to where it says 230V on the CASE... and 115V in the red area
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:53:01 pm by MikeInAlaska »

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 07:28:47 pm »
Switch is mounted upside down in the case, so case marking is incorrect. White text on red switch should show the voltage that you need.
Based on teardown EEVblog #1023 - Rigol DL3021 Electronic Load Teardown, 9:48 I would say that label is design, not an assembly error. :palm:

Not sure if it is possible to deduce which configuration is which based on DMM measurements. DL3000 uses switch with 3 wires (maybe transformer is switched :-// instead of diode bridge short to input capacitors mid point).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf