Author Topic: Rigol DL3021A  (Read 3314 times)

Offline SteveRosenlundTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DL3021A
« on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
Hey y’all I have a Rigol DL3021A. I know it has its issues. But it works for my needs. I’m kinda dumb when it comes to things like this but I was wondering something. Dave’s tear down of the DL3021 showed empty FET slots on the board that are most likely reserved for the 3031. Would there be any way to add those FETs in and expand the machine’s capabilities?  Or would I also need new software that’ll allow the higher loads?

Any way to upgrade this thing?

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DL3021A
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 04:03:49 am »
Buehler...Buehler...

It seems like I’m way off my mark here.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:20:39 am »
It's conceivable that you might be able to upgrade it to have more capability. After studying the design and determining what hardware components are needed, you'd also have to have firmware that supports the additional hardware. Beware that there may be other hardware or data modifications (e.g., inside EEPROM) needed to change the identification of which model it is.

I don't have one of these loads, so I don't know to what extent Rigol may have made it easy or difficult to upgrade the instrument yourself. But, hopefully this gives you some starting points for your exploration.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
Given that (by today) it was not possible to upgrade a Rigol DP832 power supply to a DP832a (*), I assume that telling a DL3021a to become a DL3032a will be equally difficult, as this is not just activating software option.

* Remark: while it is possible to activate misc. additional options such as enhanced resolution, changing the unit behaviour (UI / color display) from a DP832 > DP832a was never possible by anyone.

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
I'll second that... And considering the overall performance of the load, I doubt it will find too many users who could possibly contribute to establish a hack. If Rigol revises the hardware to improve especially low-current performance, things may change of course.
Or let me put it that way: The mediocre hardware is Rigol's hack protection of the DL3000 since they will sell so few that just noone will attempt a hack...  >:D

But seriosly, the hardware can be easily upgraded to match the DL3031(A) by adding the six MOSFETS and a little "chickenfood". I doubt there's much more difference between the version except some switches in the firmware/configuration - figuring out these will be the hard job.

Cheers,
Tom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I think I’ll leave it be in hopes rigol improves it to where it’s more widely adopted and experimented with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf