Author Topic: Rigol DM3058/DM3068 firmware updates available for request online - finally!  (Read 22445 times)

Offline MacbethTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I just noticed that Rigol have updated the firmware request form to include the DMM's that have so far been lacking.

New firmware 01.01.00.02.02.00.02 for my DM3058E (currently 01.01.00.02.01.00). Version 01.01.00.01.08.00.01 is available for DM3068. There seems to be an extra 2 decimals on the website description  :-//

Also noticed a new DM3058 Calibration Guide dated Feb 2015  :-+

(Oh, and don't even attempt to flash upgrade a 3058 to a 3068! :-DD I would love to, but despite them looking the same they are completely different inside - 3068 uses an LM399H ref for starters)

• Super Contributor
Reading the calibration guide, Rigol recommend using a Fluke 5520A. It has been discontinued and even used ones are a little pricey, but this ebay seller has one for only $35,000. Bargain! I'll just blow the cobwebs from my wallet. Oh wait - "I cannot ship internationally" |O

Aah well, never mind. My trusty Hao Qi Xin will have to make do instead...  ;)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Thanks for posting that, I have a DM3058E and I'll be requesting the firmware.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online wraper

• Supporter
They send me the link for the DM3068 firmware in just 11 minutes. Really unusual, in the past it took at least few days when I requested firmware for various Rigol equipment.
Firmware was 01.01.00.01.08.00 after update additional .01 did not appear and displayed version still remains the same. However when I requested firmware before, they did not provide it, just said that my firmware is the latest.

DM3068 firmware and update manual links for anyone interested:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/s-0598-1501/Bct/l-3f49/l-3f49:b33/ct2_0/1?sid=spuZipILE
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/s-0598-1501/Bct/l-3f49/l-3f49:b33/ct4_0/1?sid=spuZipILE
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:59:47 am by wraper »

Offline 2Bad4u

They send me the link for the DM3068 firmware in just 11 minutes. Really unusual, in the past it took at least few days when I requested firmware for various Rigol equipment.
Firmware was 01.01.00.01.08.00 after update additional .01 did not appear and displayed version still remains the same. However when I requested firmware before, they did not provide it, just said that my firmware is the latest.

DM3068 firmware and update manual links for anyone interested:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/s-0598-1501/Bct/l-3f49/l-3f49:b33/ct2_0/1?sid=spuZipILE
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/s-0598-1501/Bct/l-3f49/l-3f49:b33/ct4_0/1?sid=spuZipILE

I also requested the FW upgrade and received the update email/link within a few minutes - like all other updates that I received in the past. Due to the quick response I suspect that these requests are being processed by an automated script.

Like yourself the FW version number did not change after completing the update. Did a quick look at all of the menus and didn't notice any new/different options so I assume that it is just a bug fix. Rigol should document their FW changes in a readme file.

I've only had the 3068 for about a month now but I'm very pleased with the purchase.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:54:28 am by 2Bad4u »
Cheers!
-- Bill --

• Super Contributor
I also got the firmware link by email within minutes. The changes I have noticed on my DM3058E are:

Boot screen shows Version: 02.02.00
Utility>T/C>Info shows Version: 01.01.00.02.02.00
Continuity test is now latched (it's still very fast but with no more crackling)  :-+
Histogram shows min/max values (at least I think this is new)

Unfortunately the diode test is still limited to displaying voltages <2V or so, even though the hardware will output enough to light up green & white LEDs.  :--

It's a shame the DM3068 Trendline feature hasn't been added. They have the code already and there is plenty of room for it in the firmware. But I guess that is why I don't work in marketing.

Offline thn788

• Contributor
Similar to other Rigol products, the full version number is only shown after activating some hidden function. If you don't do this, the DM3068 doesn't show the last digit of the Firmware version number. If you search through the FAQ-documents Rigol lists on their DM3068 product page, you will find a PDF "How do I view the full version information for the DM3068?", which explains the procedure but it's pretty simple and I'll just copy the steps here:
  • Press 'Utility'
  • Select 'T/C'
  • Hold the fifth key for 3s to show the ex version
  • Hold the same key for 3s to hide the ex version

"Fifth key" means the fifth multi-function key just below the display (counting from the left).

I received my brand new DM3068 just a few days ago and it already shows version number 01.01.00.01.08.00.01, which is supposed to be the most recent version already according to the previous posts and Rigol's Firmware Update Request page. So I can't tell you whether older DM3068s do indeed show a different -- probably ".00" -- version number at the very end or the new DM3068 firmware mentioned here is just the same that has been shipped on all DM3068s so far (and some previous posters just re-installed the same firmware image, they had already installed).

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
Although the website does show an new update date for the DM3068 manual it is the same PDF file as before so no big changes expected, maybe some bug fix (probably network)
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Requested and got the firmware for the DM3058E a few minutes ago. I copied onto a USB stick I had and plugged it in to the meter ...

:-//

Nothing happened.

I then formatted the USB stick again and tried it all over again - again not a thing happened.  :wtf:

After thinking about my options, I looked at the formatting of the USB stick, it was NTFS. I took a long shot and re-formatted it to FAT32 and presto - firmware upgraded!

The version before was

and it is now

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline lho

Hi,

And what about any calibration loose on the DM3068 ?

Lho

Online wraper

• Supporter
Hi,

Lho
Why should it be lost?

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Lho
There is no calibration loss for the DM3068 (or DM3058), if there is you would be the first one.  (that problem existed only on an older Rigol DMM)
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Super Contributor
On reading the newly released calibration guide for the DM3058 it appears there is a factory certified calibration stored in the meter, with further user calibration being stored separately. So even if you did ruin the user calibration you can always go back to stock :-+

You can only change the user calibration with a password. The firmware upgrade does not affect the calibration.

Offline lho

Hi,

Lho
Why should it be lost?

I was thinking about non-volatile memory change... ;)

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Interesting, anyone has a changelog for the 3058 update?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:46:11 pm by mcinque »

Offline mrkva

• Supporter
Re: Rigol DM3058/DM3068 firmware updates available for request online - finally!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:48 pm »
Bump for the changelog!

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
The last firmware update was in March of 2016 (Version 01.01.00.01.10.00.00).   Has anyone heard if Rigol is going to add latching continuity to the DM3068 DMM?

• Super Contributor
The last firmware update was in March of 2016 (Version 01.01.00.01.10.00.00).   Has anyone heard if Rigol is going to add latching continuity to the DM3068 DMM?
Really? Their website still lists
Code: [Select]
DM3058 and DM3058E: 01.01.00.02.02.00.02 {March 12, 2015}

DM3068: 01.01.00.01.09.00 {October 13, 2015}

I thought the continuity thing was dealt with? It seems ok on the 3058 though the volume is low.

More important to me with the 3058 are the "not fit for purpose" things like Agilent compatibility is totally useless, the reading hold (those big flashing light trigger buttons) are also completely useless, and another selling point for the temperature compensated cold junction being utterly useless for a bench DMM as it is not possible to log the temperature readings. I also found a simple way to brick my meter using Rigols own software and different firmware versions with it. I have reported all of these over the years. Nothing has been fixed.

They are not interested in these major issues - what on earth makes you think they care about a trivial continuity buzzer issue?

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
I requested the newest firmware through the request web url and they forward firmware version 01.01.00.01.10.00.00 for the DM3068.

Offline cidak

• Supporter
  • One for all, all for one
I requested the newest firmware through the request web url and they forward firmware version 01.01.00.01.10.00.00 for the DM3068.

I would be very grateful if you, or someone else, can send privately or post here, the firmware in question.
Thank you.

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor

I would be very grateful if you, or someone else, can send privately or post here, the firmware in question.
Thank you.

+1  ;) ... I'ld also be interested in the update file!

Thanks,
Thomas

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
Mee too! I`m getting a DM3068 when I get my money from work and I would need that file, if it doesn't come already upgraded.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Rbastler

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Mee too! I`m getting a DM3068 when I get my money from work and I would need that file, if it doesn't come already upgraded.
Save a bit more and go for a Keysight 6.5 digit DMM! The price difference is too small to settle for second best.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Save a bit more and go for a Keysight 6.5 digit DMM! The price difference is too small to settle for second best.

While I agree that Keysight is a  premium brand , getting 34461A+GPIB option to make it roughly the same as stock Rigol DM3068, will cost you about 350$ more...
For people that are short on money that means an entry level scope and 6 1/2 digit multimeter for the money...

Fact is, Rigol is not really Keysight, but is no crap either... It'll do the job... And if you are buying equipment from the scratch, having two instruments different decent instruments is more useful than having one great piece of equipment...

That is always the dilemma...

Take care Nico

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf