Author Topic: Siglent Technologies America received the following unsolicited email...  (Read 44732 times)

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
It can not say that it do not work (previously situation was - It did not work). It works. But, you can not get out enchanged resolution - after processing data is still 8 bit as far as I know.
But nowDisclaimer: I do not know how it is in SDS2000X (!)
I know only how it is in older SDS2000 and how it is in SDS1000X what naturally have lot of less brute force for processing data.

I am afraid it means it does not work. Enhance by n bits means it enhances the resolution by n bits. And because it is specified:

"Eres Enhance bits: 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 Selectable"

it means that this is a critical bug, which should be fixed asap, as the device does not fit to specs at this point. False marketing, you know... That is a totally different question, that the ERES does filtering as a side effect, which is often used, indeed. But this is a just a side effect, which reduces the usefulness of the ERES, so there are techniques to reduce that.

I hope that they will fix this soon.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
It can not say that it do not work (previously situation was - It did not work). It works. But, you can not get out enchanged resolution - after processing data is still 8 bit as far as I know.
But nowDisclaimer: I do not know how it is in SDS2000X (!)
I know only how it is in older SDS2000 and how it is in SDS1000X what naturally have lot of less brute force for processing data.

I am afraid it means it does not work. Enhance by n bits means it enhances the resolution by n bits. And because it is specified:

"Eres Enhance bits: 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 Selectable"

it means that this is a critical bug, which should be fixed asap, as the device does not fit to specs at this point. False marketing, you know... That is a totally different question, that the ERES does filtering as a side effect, which is often used, indeed. But this is a just a side effect, which reduces the usefulness of the ERES, so there are techniques to reduce that.

I hope that they will fix this soon.

ERES is many times misunderstooded more or less. (I do not mean at all you!)

Peooples who are interest what is ERES, It is good to look first WHAT is ERES and what it do and very importantly - what is is not - what it do not. These last two ones are very important.
After then also think if in some system it is implemented better and in some system bit limited. (like example in Siglent 1kX, 2k and 2kX there is acquisition lenght limit. I do not know how it is in Siglent-LeCroy 3000)

LeCroy Enhanced Resolution ERES, App note 006a

AV 006a:
1. In all cases the resolution (i.e., the ability to distinguish closely spaced
voltage levels) is improved by a fixed amount for each filter.
This is a true increase in resolution which occurs whether or not the
signal is noisy, and whether or not it is a single-shot or a repetitive signal

2. The signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is improved in a manner that depends
on the form of the noise in the original signal. This occurs because
the Enhanced Resolution filtering decreases the bandwidth of the signal,
and will therefore filter out some of the noise

Position 1. In SDS1kX and SDS2k it is not as LeCroy AN explain. (2kX I do not know)
Position 2. This looks like working  and also measured 0.5 - 3.0 settings bandwidth and it also match with LeCroy AN
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:55:45 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf