Author Topic: Rigol DMM DM858 comparison thread  (Read 2762 times)

Offline ballsystemlordTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DMM DM858 comparison thread
« on: March 28, 2024, 03:43:55 am »
Recently, Rigol released a new DMM series, the DM858E and DM858 models. Both of them are 5-1/2 digit DMMs. As they already have 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 digit offerings, I thought I'd be interesting to compare these to each other and to other DMMs on the market.

The differences between the E and non-E model are that the E model has 0.06% vs 0.03% DCV accuracy, can store only 20K readings vs. 500K, and does 80 readings a second vs. 125 readings a second. Additionally, the E model lacks the 10A input jack. It can only measure up to 3A. They retail for $370 and $500 USD, respectively.

It should be noted that I'm including the Keithley just to give you an idea as to what a really powerful DMM in capable of. I converted the PPM readings to the typical XX% + YY% (reading + range).

FLIR DM93*DM858`DM3058DM3068Keithley 2001^
DCV0.05 + 1d0.03 + 0.0040.015 + 0.003-40.0035-55 + 0.0005-100.0024-41 + 0.0002
DCA0.2 + 2d-10d0.055-0.250 + 0.005-200.055-0.250 + 0.005-200.007-0.1+0.002-200.04-9 + 0.0020-25
ACV (50-60Hz)0.5 + 2d0.2 + 0.10.2 + 0.050.06-8 + 0.03-40.1-0.07 + 0.015
ACA1 + 2d0.05-3.00 + 0.02-50.3-5 + 0.1-20.10-15 + 0.04-60.20-15 + 0.015
Ω0.2-2.0 + 1d-20d0.05-3.00 + 0.02-150.02-25 + 0.003-50.01-4 + 0.001-40.005-4.000 + 0.0004-0.1

The overall conclusion I can draw is that you should buy the DM3058 over the DM858. The E model and a good handheld DMM are kind of a toss up. The DM858E is better at ACV, but worse DCV accuracy, and the shunts for both DCA and ACA are rather restricting.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the write up. What are your thoughts?

* This is the DM93 original. They have since released a DM93-2 with worse accuracy. Oddly enough, it's also bigger and heavier. These counts are for the 3-3/4 range, not the full 4-3/4 range as it's accuracy specs are not listed in the datasheet/manual. I could have chosen a Fluke 287 for this chart, but the accuracy of that meter is largely worse than the DM93.
^ Yes, the resistance accuracy really does drop off for the Keithley 2001/2, but then the range at that level is 1Gohm; which is well above what the other DMMs can do.
` It should be noted that the burden voltage of this DMM is well above the average 100ohms. The DM858 uses a 330ohm shunt for the 100uA-1mA range, a 3.3ohm shunt for the 10-100mA range, and a 0.008ohm shunt for the 1-10A range. What good is accuracy if the burden voltage is over 3x other meters?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 03:47:25 am by ballsystemlord »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, TurboTom

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DMM DM858 comparison thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 04:09:10 am »
I doubt anyone is buying these for their accuracy.  There are plenty of other reasons to have a bench meter. 

As for specs, they're barely competitive with good handhelds including some that are half the price (BM869S, 121GW) and I suspect there are issues even meeting what they've listed.  b/t/w, how do you calculate the DM93 has better specs than a 287 with 0.025% basic accuracy? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 03:29:09 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, JCS666

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 05:33:45 am »
There is better than this, the RMS is only up to 8kHz.
Others would not buy this because of its accuracy.
If an advanced loop record function is included, and the basic functions are developed and refined, more people would buy it.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:52:41 am »
The meters has the rather large memory for logging data and the big scree may also be a bonus - especially if if supports using the full screen for really large digits. This could be a thing for educational use (demonstration experiments). The limited AC bandwidth is indeed a bit disappointing.

Compared to a handheld meter one gets main supply (can be a bonus, but not always), the graphics features (no idea how useful) and 4 wire ohm function.
As a somewhat comparable meter I would look at the Sigilent SDM3055, or for the form factor maybe the Keysight EDU34450.

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 02:37:14 pm »
The record function does not work yet. Or at least I can't find it where it should be according to the manual.

This can be used from a power bank, but who would run around with such a large device when there are much more suitable ones.

For Display/BarChart, the update speed is the same as the speed of updating the displayed number.
If I set the refresh rate to Slow, the Bar's speed also slows down. Here, I expected that 125read/sec would be the constant speed of the Bar.

I couldn't find an option to display the numbers in full screen. The largest number size is ~1.2x2.5 cm.
Some people are bothered by the appearance of the number, recalling the previous posts. Not customizable.

It also shows that the release was rushed, it is good for basic measurements, it has a few extra things compared to a simple multimeter, but there is something that is essential but is missing.

The following users thanked this post: ballsystemlord

Offline ballsystemlordTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 03:26:21 pm »
I doubt anyone is buying these for their accuracy.  There are plenty of other reasons to have a bench meter. 

After comparing it to other offerings, I am a bit confused as to why people would want it. It's only redeeming feature is the somewhat lower price than good handhelds.

As for specs, they're barely competitive with good handhelds including some that are half the price (BM868S, 121GW) and I suspect there are issues even meeting what they've listed.  b/t/w, how do you calculate the DM93 has better specs than a 287 with 0.025% basic accuracy?

I wasn't really trying to hit against the fluke. The main differences are the amount of digits you have to add to the meters. This throws off the accuracy when measuring lower signals... Wait, the Flir has a little note on the bottom of the tables telling us to add 10 to the digits when below 10% of the range in voltage and amperage mode and add an additional 10 when below 5% of the amperage range. Ugh. These little gotchas. I should have just gone with the Fluke, it's more straight forward.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 03:29:25 pm by ballsystemlord »

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 06:37:30 pm »
I think for new hobbyists on a budget that want something powered up on their bench all day, the Rigol DM858E and Siglent SDM3045X seem reasonable for the price.  Valuable UI features leveraging the large color screens, as well as USB and Ethernet built in.  As mentioned, accuracy is probably not their primary focus.

Once you go past that that price point though, I could see the desire for something better, at which point you may need to combine them with computer control/UI to take up the "slack".

Honestly, I am not sure how to predict what the top brands will offer in the next decade with regard to their bench equipment.  Will they all move to huge touch screens with fancy GUIs?  Or continue to push for users to leverage computer software?  Scopes from the big players seem to already be firmly on this road of large touchscreens, but not sure about DMMs, power supplies, etc. 

Offline MarcelMo

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 05:02:20 pm »
I have bought 2 weeks ago the new Rigol DM858E. I do like it due to the new formfactor - big screen etc.  I tested some functions the last week, but today - accidently - i was playing with my (also) new Power Supply.  What I noticed is that the DMM is not reacting correctly in the DCV 28...50V range. Situation is as follow : DM858E is not connected yet. So it floating in the mV range (AUTO setting). The Power supply is outputting 33Volt. Then I connect the DMM 858E. to the power supply outlet.  The DMM showed still some low values in the mV range and is also drawing 26mA. >:(  Unbelievable.  I made I video about it.  Nothing fancy what I did.  Anyone some experience with this DMM?  See
I have already complained to my supplier - wondering what Rigol will say about it.  Maybe I have no luck and the problem is only on this specific device (or it is a general problem)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, DaneLaw, J-R

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 05:57:48 pm »
This really a nasty type of failure.

I noticed that with increasing voltage above 40 V the current when down.  Still 40 V and some 25 mA are still 1 W. So something in the protection part of the DM858 will dissipate quite some power.
There may be something like a low voltage spark gap to protect the 100 mV and 1 V ranges. Once it triggers the voltage may be too low to still detect an overload.  This could be hardware failure with a series MOV shorted. An alternative scenario could be an input amplifier / switch going to a latchup mode and this way shorting the input instead of just clamping.
The 50-100 mV in the initial test with 33 V looks quite low - less than I would expect for the burn voltage of a sparc gap.

There is a chance that this is a hardware fault and other units may not show a similar error.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 05:58:04 pm »
Anyone some experience with this DMM?
I also have the bug. DM858
For me, between 28V-36V.
I was able to test it up to 60V.
If I plug the test lead in the opposite direction, I don't experience the error.
In other words, I measure negative voltage with it.

If the Range selector is not in AUTO mode, it measures the voltage well.
It's like for some reason the AUTO mode doesn't work for me between +26-36V. For you, between +28-50V.

I am using the latest firmware.
v00.01.00.00.20 2024-03-27

I tested it this morning.
It did not work properly between 30V-40V.
I tested a couple of power supplies connected in series up to 120V DC, increasing by 1 Volt, it worked. It is still good after swapping the two test leads.

Then I tested the mV range. It still measures well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:55:11 am by csuhi17 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, J-R

Offline JCS666

• Contributor
    • ea1dzl
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 05:22:32 pm »
More problems, math and auto mode don't work
It also does not maintain date and time after turning off
 |O

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 07:31:48 pm »
More problems, math and auto mode don't work
It also does not maintain date and time after turning off
 |O
Math only work in manual mode not auto!

It keeps the date even after I turn it off.
If you mean to set the time to be visible, then restart it and then not see it, then in the settings "Load Last" must be changed to "Last". Unfortunately, the factory settings default to Hide a Display time...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:36:17 pm by csuhi17 »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 10:39:22 pm »
erk  seeing this behavior  tell me  do not buy this   until the FW is iron-ed out ??? 

a lack of check ups from Rigol

Damn ...  I totally hate the zero leading digits,   this is the thing i hated from the 34401a and up

For the size of this meter,  while i do see the frame size, and not deep, since its a scope casing adapted to a meter, 

i'm not impressed so far   if the digit have these cross lines in them ??? wtf ?  did they tried to imitate and VFD grid ????    :palm: :palm:

haven't seen any tear down of this meter ??
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-just-launch-its-new-function-generator-dg800pro-900pro/75/

ok       and  once again,  a case dismantling if the fuse blows out ...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:51:47 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 12:04:03 am »
erk  seeing this behavior  tell me  do not buy this   until the FW is iron-ed out ??? 
This whole new series of equipment is somewhat... undercooked, I would say. The scope is almost fine: it's inexpensive, it's hackable, it has good hardware (except the damn fan!), and its bugs and UI missing features/weird design choices are tolerable, because they don't defeat the purpose and are, generally, minor.

The DMM, however, seems to be a different story. It's not inexpensive for what it is, its specs are mediocre, and on top of that there are silly and immediately obvious bugs which should have never made it into the final product. Yet another evidence that there is apparently no QA team whatsoever at Rigol, or if there is one, then its work is disregarded and a sooner release is preferred over quality. That wouldn't be a big issue if Rigol collected relevant information about bugs (this forum alone has a vast knowledgebase on them) and published post-release bugfixes in a timely manner, but it does not seem to happen.

I'm not looking to buy a bench DMM (hope so), but if I were, I wouldn't be considering the DM858, not least because I own a DHO800 scope and wouldn't want to have another product engineered with the same attitude.

a lack of check ups from Rigol
lol.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 12:41:28 am »
For the size of this meter,  while i do see the frame size, and not deep, since its a scope casing adapted to a meter, 

Why do you think it's a scope casing adopted for a meter..
that they release 3 products over ½ year, doesn't say anything about what a given case was intended for.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 12:43:58 am »
i think the dmm chip seems to be some Hycon or Fortune ...   the main cpu is an allwinner A40  SOM,   so for sure it must run some nix OS ....

Ok touch screen and some functionalities could be good,  but it suck so much just seeing it working on Youtube

I trust more the 344xx series than this puppy, even the Owon 55k count meter based on a Hycon too loll,  at least the bugs are known on the Owon ??

yeah Rigol smell like toys ... Sorry Rigol   "up your game" a bit  please

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 05:53:59 am »
yeah Rigol smell like toys ... Sorry Rigol   "up your game" a bit  please

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the same way.
The DM858 did not meet my expectations.
Weak DMM, few features.

It's not worth buying in its current state.
Rigol would have to make a huge improvement to change my opinion.
It doesn't know much for its price, I would have been better off with a Brymen.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the bug above is going to be a hardware issue.
When cold, it is between 31V-41V, after warming up it is between 28V-36V. So don't take it apart, the warranty will still come in handy.
I wonder if the big fuse somehow blows, then how do we replace it without losing the warranty?

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 07:39:50 am »
This does not surprise me, bugs are Rigol's calling card.  I would expect them to address something this serious with an update or warranty service. 

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 02:36:08 pm »

....................     So don't take it apart, the warranty will still come in handy.
I wonder if the big fuse somehow blows, then how do we replace it without losing the warranty?
[/quote]

For this problem, i force the cal center(s)  to put sticker on the main casing,  ie:  not on case screws or 2 parts case joints .....  i'm sick to break a seal because of a damn blown fuse(s)

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2024, 03:16:08 pm »
They didn't make a small door on the back for that fuse out of laziness or sloppiness...
The warranty sticker sucks, there's a plastic film on the top and some silvery stuff on the bottom, you can't pick it up in one piece, something like what's on a scratch card. |O

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 03:27:10 pm »
I'm starting to get the feeling that the bug above is going to be a hardware issue.
When cold, it is between 31V-41V, after warming up it is between 28V-36V. So don't take it apart, the warranty will still come in handy.

I'm guessing the front end is badly misdesigned and a clamp is drawing down the voltage before the autoranging can range up.  In addition, the clamp must be in a place that only the 1K surge resistor (or whatever they use) is between in and the input, thus the tens of milliamps of current draw.  There will be pressure to come up with a software fix for this and that will probably be ugly.  One heck of a product launch, Rigol!
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 03:47:04 pm »
They didn't make a small door on the back for that fuse out of laziness or sloppiness...
The warranty sticker sucks, there's a plastic film on the top and some silvery stuff on the bottom, you can't pick it up in one piece, something like what's on a scratch card. |O
A soldering hot air gun (on the lowest temp setting and with great care) worked well on the sticker that was on my DHO804. Don't tell anyone.
(that sticker is really fragile though, that's true).

The following users thanked this post: csuhi17

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2024, 04:14:03 pm »
they could added an banana jack with an integrated fuse we can see on reputable brand  loll      but cost   ....

i would check the pinouts of the dmm chip to see and try to guess witch model it is  .... since it seem to be buffered on top ....

it is not a very precise meter for sure,  nor a fast one ??

when i start an 34410a,  it is ready to measure,    for sure letting it warm up is better,  but i don't wait after an NIX os to boot up  ...  nor some WinCE based ones too

Sure people may like all other related features,  but at the moment   Rigol need to redo some work and address the comments we make here

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 04:16:20 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 04:54:54 pm »

These silvery warranty sticker,s will saturate into a "breach" visual layer, the moment you try to peel it off.
Though I doubt you would be out of warranty breaching it, but it likely also comes down to where you purchased it.

From Europe.. peel away, slice cut it, lay a dump on that sticker, and you' will still have the warranty.
If you still wanna peel it without visual indication. the best approach is alcohol to get the adhesive to take a rest.

The following users thanked this post: csuhi17

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 05:19:15 pm »
I ordered the DHO924S from China on aliexpress, which means the warranty is almost 0. :-DD
If I had ordered it within the EU, I think I would have sent it back and ordered a Siglent.

The DM858 and DG912Pro are both from Batronix.

The sticker for DHO fell off by accident, and with the other two I was already very curious if it was worth buying the more expensive version.
How to properly hack the DG800pro or, in the worst case, the DG902pro to the level of the DG922pro.

I hope they don't have a physical problem, only software problems, and I hope Rigol fixes it quickly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf