Author Topic: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs  (Read 310695 times)

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:42 am »
Can a DP832 be flashed to become a DP832A?  If yes:
  • Can the model change be made without sacrificing the ability to enable upgrade options?
  • Can the unit then be flashed back to become a DP832 (not DP832A)?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:39:30 am by Michael Weston »
Thanks,
Michael

Offline Uup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:14 am »
Can a DP832 be flashed to become a DP832A?  If yes, can the model change be made without sacrificing the ability to enable upgrade options?

Technically yes, but I am not aware of it being done outside of the Rigol factory. Aside from cosmetic differences they are the same hardware.

If you were able to modify the model to a DP832A then you wouldn't be sacrificing any options, since the A model has all options already enabled.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:58:29 am by Uup »

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:18 am »
Can a DP832 be flashed to become a DP832A?  If yes, can the model change be made without sacrificing the ability to enable upgrade options?

Technically yes, but I am not aware of it being done outside of the Rigol factory. Aside from cosmetic differences they are the same hardware.

If you were able to modify the model to a DP832A then you wouldn't be sacrificing any options, since the A model has all options already enabled.  ;D
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and toleration of my ignorance.

Can the unit then be flashed back to become a DP832 (not DP832A)?
Thanks,
Michael

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2014, 11:42:35 am »
Hi,

WHY are people upgrading firmware in cases where the existing firmware is not causing issues?

Can anyone explain?  One has a device that works as it is just fine, then chooses to apply firmware right after it is made available?

Tell me I'm missing something.

If it isn't broke...  I'm on 1.06 and I've not had a single issue.  And I don't ever plan on upgrading.  There's no need to, the thing works just fine.

I appreciate the time and the effort that you made to dispense your wisdom here. However, no one is forcing you, or anyone else for that matter, to upgrade. We're just sharing our experiences here.

Did you happened to read the OP or even the subject line?

In any case, this particular issue with 1.11 is really a non-issue unless you intend to calibrate your PSU. The reason I posted here about it was to make others aware of the issue in order to avoid potential problems.

And since you asked... I upgraded my DP832A specifically in order to add the 'Classic' GUI. I don't really like the standard triangle GUI that is on the DP832A. However, I would have upgraded anyhow, unless any major issues were first raised. I like to have the latest firmware, to be on the cutting edge. But that's just me.  :D

Yes, I ended up wasting time with calibration issues, but in the end things worked out better than I expected. The calibration is now perfect, where previously it was out by a couple of mV on both indication and set-point.

Just to tell you that I didn't tried to recalibrate my PSU at all, this OVP alarm came suddenly, regardless the channel was OFF.

Cheers.
---
Daniel.

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »
How does one get the private key from their DP832 or DP832A?   :-//

I combed the forum, yet did not find the answer to this question.
Thanks,
Michael

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:38 pm »
WHY are people upgrading firmware in cases where the existing firmware is not causing issues?

This is ALWAYS been a strict policy to follow in any serious company on every device (servers, phones etc.). See list below.

And if none of us try firmware updates, how could we know if bugs are fixed or introduced ? Doesn't the point of this thread ?

Yes, it's the point of the thread, but IMO it's not a good practice to do firmware "experiments". I mean, if you're not having troubles with a device, it's not a good practice upgrade its firmware. Excluding the 0.001 mA false reading, a 1.06 DP832 it's NOT giving any headache to me.

Maybe I'm using it so simply that I didn't realize there are major bugs.  :-//

However this is my list about firmware upgrades:

1. Keep in mind that any firmware update is a high risk on all the devices that aren't specifically designed to manage downgrades.
2. A firmware update could fix an issue and create a couple of new ones.
2. Read (or ASK for) the changelog and carefully examine what fixes/improvements has been made with the new firmware. Applying the update blindly and possibly fuc*ing up the device IS NOT an option.
4. If you find any real fix/improvement on the changelog list about any trouble you've ever had[/u], take the risk and apply the upgrade, if not, FORGET IT.
5. If you want to apply the update, keep in mind that if it's NOT CRITICAL for your work/hobby, it's better to wait the new firmware is well tested before installing.

EDIT: I mean... between 1.10 and 1.11 there was "ONLY" this fixes/improvements... If I had 1.10, why should I upgrade it?

- Add the traditional language menu. (USELESS)
- Expand the point of recorder to 614400. (ALMOST USELESS FOR ME)
- The display mode will not be changed by setting preset. (MAYBE USEFUL BUT NOT CRITICAL)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:14:22 pm by mcinque »

Offline TooOldForThis

• Regular Contributor
  • H: 42.576MHz/Tesla
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »
Read (or ASK for) the changelog and carefully examine what fixes/improvements has been made with the new firmware.

This is making the assumption that change logs are complete and detailed.  Most likely they listed a few of the more important sounding changes, or at least the least embarrassing bugs fixed, and left all the other bug fixes and improvements unmentioned.   

Just because you don't realize that your equipment has bugs that are biting you doesn't mean your not being impacted.  How much time can you waste trying to get some SCPI command to work when you're running into some bug they fixed 3 revs ago.   

We apply updates because we trust the manufacturer to keep making improvements and fix bugs that we know are affecting us (or have yet to realize are affecting us.)  If we didn't trust the manufacturer, we wouldn't have bought and used the equipment to begin with.  Occasionally, that trust is misplaced, but that's part of the joy of buying low cost test equipment - we all get to be unpaid, undocumented, members of Rigol's test team.   

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2014, 01:07:27 am »
I get the point of the thread.

I understand the point of updating firmware.

I don't understand updating firmware when you aren't experiencing issues, or don't know you are. 

If you know you are experiencing issues, that is another matter entirely.

Upgrading firmware because you think you might maybe be having an issue with firmware -- that's reason to investigate and test the firmware, not apply an unknown quantity in the form of a firmware upgrade. 

If you don't know what's wrong, and you don't know that new firmware will fix it, applying new firmware is a move that has an equal chance of making things worse, as they would make things better.

This is kind of the discussion I have with fans of Linux.  If the hobby IS THE EQUIPMENT, then you upgrading firmware blindly makes perfect sense, and I support it.  If your hobby IS THE COMPUTER then screwing with Linux kernel compiles and ALSA drivers is well worth ones time, and I support it. Have fun.

If your hobby is electronics, dinking around with firmware in the middle of a project when you don't have an issue is just irresponsible. If you suspect you have an issue with firmware, you investigate, you test, you make sure; you don't blindly change things.  By "blindly" I mean changing to something unknown.

That's all.  Didn't mean to offend anyone or to attack.  Just don't update firmware in the middle of an important project, or, have a backup you can use in case things get worse.

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:44 am »
The following is provided as reference with hopes it helps someone in the future.

On 2014-September-03 I ordered a new Rigol DP832 (not DP832A) digital power supply from Saelig.com for USD$450.00 with free UPS Ground shipping.

I decided to order it from Saelig.com because they are an official, authorized Rigol partner, and I had very good service from Saelig on a past purchase.

My Rigol DP832 came with the TopBoard Version 2.1 (or newer) that includes the upgraded, silver, aluminum heatsink visible through the ventilation holes on the right-hand side of the unit; so, it will not have the overheating problem exhibited by previous versions of the TopBoard.

My Rigol DP832 came with the following firmware versions installed at the factory:
  • Digital Version: 00.01.09.00.01
  • Analog Version: 01.02.00.01.02.00
  • Boot Version: 01.06
  • Keyboard Version: 01.01
It was calibrated at the factory on 2014-5-13 (2014-May-13), which gives some indication of when it was manufactured.

Attached are some photos of my completely virgin, unmodified unit exactly as it came from the factory.  The first photo is the Utility screen displaying all the firmware version numbers.  The second photo is the Utility screen displaying all the upgrade options' statuses.
Thanks,
Michael

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:07 pm »
NEW 2014 > DP800 Calibration Guide attached:

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2014, 10:18:35 pm »

Excellent!  Thank you ted572 -- I hope you don't mind me adding this to the first post.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2014, 12:54:05 am »

The following users thanked this post: ultranalog

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2014, 01:48:29 am »
Quote from: ted572 on Today at 08:01:07 AM
Wow!   ;D
Thank you very much for posting the new DP800 Calibration Guide, ted572!!   ;D
Thanks,
Michael

Offline TooOldForThis

• Regular Contributor
  • H: 42.576MHz/Tesla
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2014, 02:01:09 am »
The main difference between this Jan '14 manual and the previous one is that they no longer tell you to use the SCPI interface to enter the commands  “:Cal:Start 2012,CH1" and "Cal:Clear CH1,ALL" as the first step of calibration.

The 'new' manual still still doesn't tell you to use the On/Off buttons to enable the channel you want to calibrate.  You get a whole lot of nothing if you don't turn on the channel before starting calibration.
It does say that, rather prominently.

And for Pete's sake, don't try calibration if you are running FW 1.11.  Really.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:39:11 am by TooOldForThis »

Offline carpelux

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »
The 'new' manual still still doesn't tell you to use the On/Off buttons to enable the channel you want to calibrate.  You get a whole lot of nothing if you don't turn on the channel before starting calibration.
Actually, it does. On page 2-2 it says:

3. Turn on DP800 and press the channel selecting key at the front panel to select
CH1 as the channel to be tested. Set the voltage and current of the channel
under test according to Table 2-1. Then, press the On/Off key corresponding to
the channel under test to enable the output of the channel.
---------------------------------------
Catch the light

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »
Actually, it does. On page 2-2 it says:

3. Turn on DP800 and press the channel selecting key at the front panel to select
Carpelux, I think you misunderstood TooOldForThis.

In the quote above, TooOldForThis referred to the new DP800 Calibration Guide posted by ted572.

The text you quote above:
"3. Turn on DP800 and press the channel selecting key at the front panel to select
"
can not be found anywhere in the new DP800 Calibration Guide.  That text can only be found in the new Rigol 2014 DP800 Performance Verification Manual.  Also, the text you refer to does not appear on page 2-2, it appears on page 2-4 (PDF page 22) of the DP800 Performance Verification Manual.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:30:05 pm by Michael Weston »
Thanks,
Michael

Offline carpelux

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2014, 04:23:41 am »
Yes, You seems to be right. It looks like I messed up the documents.

But if You look in the "new" manual, on page 2-3 (page 11 in the pdf) it says:
2. Press the On/Off softkey corresponding to CH1 at the front panel of DP800 to
enable the channel output
---------------------------------------
Catch the light

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2014, 05:33:24 am »
Yes, You seems to be right. It looks like I messed up the documents.

But if You look in the "new" manual, on page 2-3 (page 11 in the pdf) it says:
2. Press the On/Off softkey corresponding to CH1 at the front panel of DP800 to
enable the channel output
You are correct, carpelux.

I am guessing that when TooOldForThis stated:
"The 'new' manual still still doesn't tell you to use the On/Off buttons to enable the channel you want to calibrate."
he had not yet read past page 2-2 (PDF page 10) of the DP800 Calibration Guide.  Otherwise, he probably would have seen the instructions starting at page 2-3 (PDF page 11), and not made that statement.

I can easily see why TooOldForThis might have made that statement.  As I read the DP800 Calibration Guide for the first time, to me it seemed the calibration instructions began at page 2-1 (PDF page 9), which is incorrect.  The beginning of Chapter 2 describes an overview of the procedure, not the actual calibration instructions.  Had the first section in Chapter 2 been named something like "Procedure Overview of the Calibration Process", there would be much less chance the reader might misinterpret the first section as being the actual calibration instructions.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:54:53 am by Michael Weston »
Thanks,
Michael

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2014, 09:15:38 am »
Dear all,

Just to let you know I just got a brand new top PCB card from Rigol.eu. I would tell how wonderful is their support, really.
I will take some pictures because it's a modified design, rev is 02.20 from 2013-11-05, with an IRFP260N.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:29 am »
I just got a brand new top PCB card from Rigol.eu... I will take some pictures because it's a modified design, rev is 02.20 from 2013-11-05, with an IRFP260N.
I'm very curious to see your top PCB photos.

I very recently bought a new DP832, so I am wondering if my unit also has the version 2.20 TopBoard (top PCB).  Is there any way I can discover the version of the TopBoard in my DP832 without opening the case?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:14:40 am by Michael Weston »
Thanks,
Michael

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:58 am »
I just got a brand new top PCB card from Rigol.eu... I will take some pictures because it's a modified design, rev is 02.20 from 2013-11-05, with an IRFP260N.
I'm very curious to see your top PCB photos.

I very recently bought a new DP832, so I am wondering if my new unit also has the version 2.20 TopBoard (top PCB).  Is there any way I can discover the hardware version of the TopBoard in my new DP832 without opening the case?

I took the pictures, and I'll upload that soon.

About identifying the board, not really. The most noticeable changes are one big fat cap, a smaller black heatsink, and the new mosfet. The 2.5V reference has also slightly changed (no more PCB cutoff).

This board also include the previous rotated LM317 with silver heatsink.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:20:29 am by f1rmb »

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »
Here are the promised pictures.

BTW, I changed the PCB, updated analog firmware, done to a full calibration of all channels, everything is back to normal.

PS: I have more pictures, if interested.

Cheers.
---
Daniel.

Offline frahul

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:49 am »
How do i fix "analog board self fail" . Please Help

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:39 am »
Hi,

How do i fix "analog board self fail" . Please Help

Could you give us a bit more informations?

Cheers.
---
Daniel.

Offline frahul

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2014, 11:05:30 am »
Hi,

Could you give us a bit more informations?

Cheers.
---
Daniel.

Digital version  :00.01.09.00.01
Analog Version :00:00:00:00:00:00
boot Version    :01.06
Keyboard Version :01.01

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf