Author Topic: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs  (Read 311020 times)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs
« Reply #575 on: December 20, 2019, 11:50:05 am »
Hi, I've just received a new DP832 unit.

Version information :
Digital Version : 00.01.16.00.02
Analog Version  : 04.02.04.03.02.04
Boot Version    : 01.09
Keyboard Version: 01.01

All the options were activated just fine using riglol.

Thanks for the useful info on this blog !
You can turn the DP832 into a DP832A using a 'magic' USB stick and a single SCPI command; there's a thread here that has all the instructions.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: core

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #576 on: December 25, 2019, 02:04:52 pm »
I'd like the round font (DP832A) instead the seven digit one, but can someone confirm if DP832A have the option for monochrome gray display ?
I prefer it instead of "3 colour" version.

Regarding DP832 with all options activated vs DP832A, are there any differences (outside the round font) ?

Thanks !

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: December 25, 2019, 03:50:22 pm »
I'd like the round font (DP832A) instead the seven digit one, but can someone confirm if DP832A have the option for monochrome gray display ?
I prefer it instead of "3 colour" version.

Regarding DP832 with all options activated vs DP832A, are there any differences (outside the round font) ?

Thanks !
All the displays that the DP832 can do are available in the DP832A menus, you can have a 'monochrome' display in any single color you want (I think).

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #578 on: December 25, 2019, 07:55:26 pm »
In the end I've converted to DP832A because I've just did the same thing for DL3021 and there was no monochrome option. By the way, the same thing for DP832A.

There is no unitary color scheme between DP and DL interfaces. So instead of two monochrome clean interfaces now I have these strange color interfaces.

But I take it as a compromise for the activated options  ;D

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #579 on: December 25, 2019, 09:36:40 pm »
I quickly got used to and came to prefer the DP832A's pie chart display.  I also bought colored LEDs to replace those on the front display so I could have colors that matched the display but I haven't got round to fitting them yet.

The following users thanked this post: core

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #580 on: December 26, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Good idea, I will replace ch2 and ch3 on/off LEDs in order to match the display  :-+

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #581 on: December 27, 2019, 01:17:40 am »
I updated the first post with official version for firmware release 1.16 (and removed the download for the beta).

I don't have a DP832 power supply at the moment so I'm unable to test resolution of any further issues.  Please reach out and let me know if there'a anything further needs editing in first post.

Best,
Sparky

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #582 on: March 04, 2020, 08:22:09 pm »
Hello gents,

It looks like the manual calibration process is broken again in the new 00.01.16.00.02 update. The bug is readily apparent when performing the ADC-V routine upto the 5V calibration step on channel 1. But even just calibrating the DAC-V borks the output... Tested on both channel 1 and 2. Wow Rigol, just wow.

Also, if you are updating an older unit like I did, the new 01.09 boot loader is not included with the new update provided via www.rigolna.com.

You will have to create an account on int.rigol.com and download version "00.01.16.00.02" there, which is actually version 1.14 but thankfully contains the new boot loader. QC at Rigol is at an all-time low...

As for good news, I got the DP832A connected via telnet at port 5555 and my Tektronix DMM4050 also works via telnet at port 3490. And since I don't have Matlab, LabView or understand Python (I want to learn it, but its syntax is really weird), I plan on writing a new script in Java using telnet rather than RS232, USB or LXI. If there is any interest in the new script let me know and I'll upload it to the forum.

Well time to start coding. Hopefully I can get this SOB PSU working again.

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #583 on: March 04, 2020, 10:15:04 pm »
As for good news, I got the DP832A connected via telnet at port 5555 and my Tektronix DMM4050 also works via telnet at port 3490. And since I don't have Matlab, LabView or understand Python (I want to learn it, but its syntax is really weird), I plan on writing a new script in Java using telnet rather than RS232, USB or LXI. If there is any interest in the new script let me know and I'll upload it to the forum.

Well time to start coding. Hopefully I can get this SOB PSU working again.

DMM4050 should have a 34401 SCPI emulation mode or be straight compatible, so one of the existing python scripts will work. I highly recommend using it.
Also mentioned in one of the threads here is that with SCPI calibration, you can get more points than with manual cal, so its a better option in the end.
But yeah, sucks to be stuck with it non-functional for the moment.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #584 on: March 05, 2020, 03:01:23 am »
DMM4050 should have a 34401 SCPI emulation mode or be straight compatible, so one of the existing python scripts will work. I highly recommend using it.

The DMM4050 does have a 34401 emulation mode, but I believe the Python code uses either the serial or GPIB bus for the DMM, as the 34401 doesn't have ethernet. So I'd still have to poke around to get the Python code to work with my setup, as I don't have a USB-A port on my new laptop (only thunderbolt 3 and USB type C) to connect a serial or GPIB adapter. And ironically enough, my desktop PC's own power supply just gave up the ghost as I was writing the new script. (It seems the power supply gods have found me wanting.) The old Seasonic PSU has to be eight years old or so by now. I'm hoping it has the 10 year warranty so I can RMA instead of spending $$$ on a new one. At any rate, I think it'll be fun to play around with the telnet access, which honestly seems easier than messing with USB to RS232 or GPIB adapters and figuring out LXI.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:25:15 am by garrettm »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #585 on: March 05, 2020, 05:14:00 am »
I just heard back from Rigol and they are going to add the 1.09 bootloader to the zip file containing the new firmware. So hopefully no one else has scrounge around when updating an older unit. They are also looking into the manual calibration issue. And finally, I also asked for the factory SCPI procedure. It'd be nice to compare the cal routines to see if there are any differences. So keep your fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Well, looks like they can't publicly release the SCPI cal routine. Oh well. On the bright side of things, they were willing to calibrate my unit for free if I ship it to them. I'm still going to give the SCPI procedure on the forum a try first; and if that doesn't pan out, I guess I'll take up their offer and mail it to Rigol. I have to admit, Rigol does have good customer service here in the US.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:06:26 pm by garrettm »

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #586 on: March 05, 2020, 06:07:44 am »
If it is of help to anyone, here is the 1.09 bootloader update file.
Be careful to read the included instructions since they say that improper installation can possibly do irreversible bad things.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:10:23 am by JDubU »

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #587 on: March 05, 2020, 08:52:00 pm »
hi all. what is the password for the manual calibration? cheers

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #588 on: March 05, 2020, 11:18:11 pm »
I think the calibration password is:    2012

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #589 on: March 05, 2020, 11:47:16 pm »
hi all. what is the password for the manual calibration? cheers

Be careful with the manual cal, its possible to screw it up to the point that the psu is unusable. I would leave it as is until you can run one of the SCPI cal routines (which will require a decent DMM).
If you are cal'ing with the 121GW, there is no reason to do that IMO.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #590 on: March 09, 2020, 12:39:37 pm »
Its alive again!

I've been stuck at home with what might very well be corona virus (or a very bad case of the flu), and finally decided to write the Telnet script in Java. Java sockets made writing the Telnet client a breeze and with TooOldForThis's reverse engineered SCPI commands I was able to recalibrate channel 1 and 2 better than before the manual calibration fiasco. Honestly, I don't see why people avoid using Telnet, its super convenient and avoids messing with drivers, bulky software and hardware adapters. The only hiccup I noticed was that I had to add some latency between sending commands to the Tek DMM4050, otherwise it would start missing commands. Some 50-60 milliseconds seemed to do the trick.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 09, 2020, 12:46:19 pm »
Well, looks like they can't publicly release the SCPI cal routine.

Files found on the Internet:

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #592 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:24 pm »
That’s awesome news. I use telnet on some access control panels that we fit for high security applications. And it’s nice to use. But wouldn’t really know where to start when it comes to re calibrating the output voltages.

My actually output voltage is only 5ma off but the read back voltage is around 10-20ma over. Which is annoying. It iratates me when I select for instance 4v and it displays 4.012v on the screen. WHY? It’s really annoying. Surely it should just show what I’ve programmed in. And it doesn’t. I have no idea why. If I wanted 4.011v I would select it. And seeing as it has a resolution of 1mv for accuracy why does it display so far over?

Rant over 😂

I would eventually (it’s brand new, just received mine) recalibrate it so it matches exactly what my meter reads like I could do on my old farnel psu. But that was older and you could use trim pots to get it to exactly where you wanted it. And it just stayed there.

I think I may struggle with re-calibrating this one.

Steve

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: March 09, 2020, 01:23:02 pm »
If it only showed you what you programmed in, then when it went into constant current mode you wouldn't see the voltage dropping. That would be worse.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #594 on: March 09, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »
I thought ADC resolution was the cause. 

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #595 on: March 09, 2020, 02:43:50 pm »
Its alive again!

I've been stuck at home with what might very well be corona virus (or a very bad case of the flu), and finally decided to write the Telnet script in Java. Java sockets made writing the Telnet client a breeze and with TooOldForThis's reverse engineered SCPI commands I was able to recalibrate channel 1 and 2 better than before the manual calibration fiasco. Honestly, I don't see why people avoid using Telnet, its super convenient and avoids messing with drivers, bulky software and hardware adapters. The only hiccup I noticed was that I had to add some latency between sending commands to the Tek DMM4050, otherwise it would start missing commands. Some 50-60 milliseconds seemed to do the trick.
Any chance you could come up with an outline of what we need to set up to run your code on a PC?  I have a calibrated Keysight 34461A that would be the obvious meter to use to cal my DP832.

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #596 on: March 09, 2020, 04:57:30 pm »
@cpposteve after calibration, the read back should be around +-2 counts (when rounding the output to three decimal places). My unit was in a similar state as yours, its last cal date was in 2014, had ancient firmware, and was off by +-20 counts. And now it finally agrees with my benchtop DMM. Though I now question the effort needed to make that happen.

@Gandalf_Sr all you would need to run it is the Java JRE or JDK, a simple Java IDE like BlueJ (to edit, compile and run) or use Notepad++ to edit and Windows PowerShell to compile and then run it. I could turn it into a jar, but you really need the source code to make tweaks as are inevitably needed. Of course being Telnet based, you would need a wired network with a DHCP server, or assign static addresses, and know what device has what address.

To see what its all about I attached a .txt output of the voltage calibration routines for all three channels. It's still a rough draft and may need a few adjustments to work with another DMM, but that wouldn't be hard to do.

Now if only Rigol could improve their quality control regarding firmware bugs and include all the files you actually need when updating...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:19:50 pm by garrettm »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Awesome thanks. Although mine is new and manufacturer date of nov 2019.
Is there any reason why people prefer to calibrate it vie scpi rather than through the unit it self? Reading the 16 page document about doing it through the gui it seems pretty strait forward. I really want to get my read back voltage spot on?

Cheers

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2020, 05:12:30 pm »
Is there any reason why people prefer to calibrate it vie scpi rather than through the unit it self? Reading the 16 page document about doing it through the gui it seems pretty strait forward.

There are two main reasons that I encountered. First it's laborious to do it manually. The DAC-V has 36 entries alone. Second, there are software bugs that might actually screw up the calibration process itself. This is what happened to me. I was perfectly fine slaving away at entering the measured values, but the cal set points weren't outputing the correct voltages for some reason. But I suspect that if you use the SCPI clear all command and then go back and do a manual calibration that it would probably work alright. But, then it is still an effort in patience entering all the values manually.

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2020, 10:37:36 pm »
ok, so i have calibrated the 832a via the on-board calibrator, all in all it took me 1.5 hours to just calibrate voltage out and read back voltages on all three channels, ignoring the current as these are well within spec and prob only 1ma out across the board. now all three channels read correctly and im very pleased with how its turned out.

steve

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf