Author Topic: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs  (Read 311407 times)

Offline ornea

• Supporter
Re: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2016, 09:00:19 am »
I have a weird issue with a DP832A and it's ethernet port and would be interesting if anyone else has issues?

When in DHCP mode, regardless of the lease duration set on the server, the DP832A requests a new IP every 5 minutes.  So it seems to be ignoring the lease duration, although this could be linked to...

Every so often the supply will drop off the network, either a reboot or a reset of the IP parameters via the front panel will fix this.  Also the display will display the LAN connected message at power up OK, than also randomly display this again from time to time.  Even with a static IP address assigned this will happen too.

I have swapped the ethernet leads, different port on the switch etc. and the problem persists.  The unit is running 1.14 but I think it did it with 1.13 too.

It's a real pain as I control the PSU via ethernet for some semi-automated testing of items and it's *really* annoying when it happens as it means I have to restart the tests.  The DP832A will complain it is under remote control, but not respond to commands or even a ping when it drops off.  You need to 'release' it using the Back key when this happens before you can talk to it again.  Even when not talking to the unit via IP and just using the front panel the unit will stop responding on the LAN side too.

Anyone else seen anything strange with the ethernet port or is this a developing issue with my DP832A?
I have been experiencing same.  Mine is a DP831, 00.01.14 Tried different cables different switch, Static IP, DHCP. (Not really sure what AutoIP is but turn it off when I use ManualIP) etc, but sometimes after time has passed it stops responding but not always.

Very annoying

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2016, 04:51:56 pm »
I have a weird issue with a DP832A and it's ethernet port and would be interesting if anyone else has issues?

When in DHCP mode, regardless of the lease duration set on the server, the DP832A requests a new IP every 5 minutes.  So it seems to be ignoring the lease duration, although this could be linked to...

Every so often the supply will drop off the network, either a reboot or a reset of the IP parameters via the front panel will fix this.  Also the display will display the LAN connected message at power up OK, than also randomly display this again from time to time.  Even with a static IP address assigned this will happen too.

I have swapped the ethernet leads, different port on the switch etc. and the problem persists.  The unit is running 1.14 but I think it did it with 1.13 too.

It's a real pain as I control the PSU via ethernet for some semi-automated testing of items and it's *really* annoying when it happens as it means I have to restart the tests.  The DP832A will complain it is under remote control, but not respond to commands or even a ping when it drops off.  You need to 'release' it using the Back key when this happens before you can talk to it again.  Even when not talking to the unit via IP and just using the front panel the unit will stop responding on the LAN side too.

Anyone else seen anything strange with the ethernet port or is this a developing issue with my DP832A?
I have been experiencing same.  Mine is a DP831, 00.01.14 Tried different cables different switch, Static IP, DHCP. (Not really sure what AutoIP is but turn it off when I use ManualIP) etc, but sometimes after time has passed it stops responding but not always.

Very annoying

Glad it not just me!
I have tried all sorts to keep the IP side going, nothing seems to work for long.  I have been looking at getting a different PSU, partly because of the IP issue and partly as I could do with a wider voltage range from time to time.

Offline vertual

« Reply #477 on: December 16, 2016, 06:23:02 pm »
Same problem, when device controlled by matlab trough ethernet DP832A time to time self reboot. Fixed IP.
I have one 3 years ago, with firmware 1.09.00.01 it happens maybe one time per months.
Second tool new one with latest firmware, self reboot almost 1 time per 1-2 day.
My software just in the cycle one time per second fetch current and voltage from CH1 and CH2.

Even it one time happens on my eyes, CH1 and CH2 self OFF, over 0.5 seconds disappear image on the display, over 2-3 seconds tool again ready to work. But connection with computer terminated, program stopped, output is OFF. 1-2 days of work lost.
after self reboot possible immediately restart program and enable output, but need close port and open again.

Maybe somebody know how fix it, or how to see error log from device?

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #478 on: December 17, 2016, 02:47:48 am »

Very annoying

Glad it not just me!
I have tried all sorts to keep the IP side going, nothing seems to work for long.  I have been looking at getting a different PSU, partly because of the IP issue and partly as I could do with a wider voltage range from time to time.
Its a terrible work around but if you need to be able to get it back on the network remotely I found shut/no shut on the switchport gets it back online.

Initial tests indicates that it stays online between 6 - 17 hours.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2017, 09:18:47 am »
hi,

i've noticed another thing.. but for sure i'm doing something wrong..

i have ch1 setted at 5V for a 5V logic board and ch2 at 3.3V for 3.3V logic. the 2 circuits has GND in common and a level shifter for the signal data.

what i see is that the current is measuared totally on ch1 and i have 0A on ch2...

i read about similar problem betwen ch2 and 3 but not for ch1 and ch2. it's normal this kind of readed values?

thanks

The following users thanked this post: kado

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:00 am »
It's probably your level shifter ending up powering the 3.3V from the 5V.  Try unplugging the 3.3V supply wire from the PSU and see what happens.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:42 pm »
yep....
if i unplug the 3.3v all works the same way... if i take off the level shifter the PSU works as i expected..

thanks!!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:20 am »
Then you've somehow set your level shifters up the wrong way, they shouldn't be able to power the entire 3.3V circuitry, just shift the levels of the data signals.

Bryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: January 16, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
yes.. it's one cheap level shifter from ebay with an LDO on board. take it out and now all works as i expected..

many thanks

Offline eelliott

• Contributor
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:14 am »
Same problem, when device controlled by matlab trough ethernet DP832A time to time self reboot. Fixed IP.
I have one 3 years ago, with firmware 1.09.00.01 it happens maybe one time per months.
Second tool new one with latest firmware, self reboot almost 1 time per 1-2 day.
My software just in the cycle one time per second fetch current and voltage from CH1 and CH2.

Even it one time happens on my eyes, CH1 and CH2 self OFF, over 0.5 seconds disappear image on the display, over 2-3 seconds tool again ready to work. But connection with computer terminated, program stopped, output is OFF. 1-2 days of work lost.
after self reboot possible immediately restart program and enable output, but need close port and open again.

Maybe somebody know how fix it, or how to see error log from device?

I've never experienced the issue with the Ethernet connection dropping but I haven't performed long-running tests.  My DP832 was purchased July 2014 and is presently 00.01.14.

However, regarding you question about retrieving the error log, you could try the :SYST:ERR? command.  To retrieve all errors you keep issuing the command until the DP8xx returns 0,"No error".

However, I'm not optimistic that you'll see a meaningful error message.  I connected to my DP832  concurrently over both Ethernet and USB.  I unplugged the Ethernet connection then used the USB connection to issue the :SYST:ERR? query and received 0,"No error" as the response.  In the case of hardware or firmware malfunction (as opposed to unplugging the Ethernet cable) or if there is some mystery event that no one has recognized yet you might get lucky and get a meaningful message.  (Connecting concurrently over both Ethernet and USB was simply a matter of using NI Max to open two concurrent Open VISA Test Panel sessions, one for Ethernet and one for USB.  Keysight's Connection Expert won't work easily for this purpose; it insisted on communicating via Ethernet even though it detected the USB connection. )

Another thought: is there any correlation between the Ethernet dropping and the DP8xx switching between CV and CC mode?  For example, was the display consistently showing CV throughout the test but when the Ethernet drops the display now shows CC?  (The CV vs CC status can also be determined and logged programmatically (:OUTP:CVCC? command), but if its changing state is the cause of the Ethernet problem then the query probably should be done over USB.)  My general thought here is there might be some event which is causing the problem;  CV vs CC is just one candidate.

Another thought is to use Wireshark to detect whether there are spurious commands or requests being sent to the DP8xx.  I'm not optimistic about this being a fruitful effort.

Edit 20170124: There are two ways to determine CV vs CC status of a channel.  My original post mentioned the Questionable Status Register (actually it's the Questionable Status Summary Register) but the easier way is the :OUTP:CVCC? command.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:15:28 pm by eelliott »

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2017, 03:08:21 am »
Wireshark maybe revealing (not too hopeful but worth a shot).  I will experiment with this later and get back if i find anything interesting.

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #486 on: January 24, 2017, 03:11:49 am »
Also wondering if part of the IP related circuitry is exceeding temperature limits as it would not be the first time temperature has been an issue for some of Rigols designs.

And may explain why it is intermittent for me as my gear is in the garage (sadly) which is at the mercy of ambient temperatures.

Offline eelliott

• Contributor
« Reply #487 on: January 24, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »
Also wondering if part of the IP related circuitry is exceeding temperature limits as it would not be the first time temperature has been an issue for some of Rigols designs.

And may explain why it is intermittent for me as my gear is in the garage (sadly) which is at the mercy of ambient temperatures.

In re-reading your original post, I see that your DP832A’s are rebooting.  Whereas the jc101 and ornea are experiencing a loss of the Ethernet connection but no rebooting.

Because your DP832A is rebooting, please ignore my previous suggestions about using the USB connection to retrieve data (error messages; register values; CV vs CC status) after the failure.  It’s unlikely that the DP8xx will contain any useful data after a reboot.

For those experiencing loss of the Ethernet connection, NI suggests http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7FBE9E5CD0BD8FAF86257A09003E8253: Windows Device Manager > Network adapters > network adapter > Power Management tab > uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.  It’s possible that this might account for the variability jc101 and ornea reported in the elapsed time before loss of the Ethernet connection, i.e., the Windows timers are probably affected by other activity the user is performing on the PC.  But this would not account for jc101’s new-IP-every-5-minutes experience.  (Another well-known technique for flakey behavior is to use the Device Manager to uninstall the device then Scan for Hardware Changes or reboot to let Windows re-install the driver.)

Re a potential over-temperature condition, if your DP832A loses the Ethernet connection but does not reboot, your code could query (using USB) the over-temperature bit in Questionable Status Register (QSR) but the temperature problem, if it exists, might or might not cause that bit to be set.  I wonder if this coding effort is worth the time; if you simply enable over-temperature protection (Utility > System > OTP), the DP8xx should turn off all outputs if an over-temperature condition is encountered (but only those over-temperature conditions which the DP8xx is designed and programmed to detect).  So, if you encounter both outputs being off and the Ethernet connection dropped, an OTP condition is a likely cause.  You could also use NI Max to query the QSR via USB; I’m not sure how long the over-temperature bit remains set and what events reset the bit.

Summary of thread so far…

PROBLEM: ETHERNET CONNECTION DROPPED

jc101:
... DP832A 01.14 (and with 01.13).
... Acquired early 2014 (2.5 years old at time of initial post in June 2016).
... New IP every 5 minutes but some days Ethernet communication is more reliable.
... Problem occurs even with static IP.
... Swapped Ethernet cables, switch ports.

NF6X:
... DP832
... Might have noticed LXI splash message pop randomly.

ornea:
... DP831 01.14
... DP831 stays online 6 - 17 hours.
... Like jc101, sometimes the problem occurs and sometimes it does not.
... Problem occurs with DHCP and static IP.

PROBLEM: REBOOTING
vertual:
... DP832A #1 01.09: 3 years old (late 2013).  Self reboots once per several months.
... DP832A #2 01.14?: new (late 2016).  Self reboot once per 1-2 days.
... NOTE that vertual is experiencing REBOOTS rather than just losing the Ethernet connection.  No one else has complained of reboots (at least in the couple of thread pages where this Ethernet issue has been discussed).
... In one instance, the DP832A automatically turned off both CH1 and CH2, the display went blank for 0.5 second, and the DP832A took 2-3 seconds before it was usable again, and the Ethernet connection was dropped.  (Comment by eelliott: over-temperature protection (OTP), if enabled, could turn off both CH1 and CH2 -- but the remainder of the behavior seems flakey.)
... Static IP.
... His matlab program queries current and voltage for CH1 and CH2 once per second.  (Comment by eelliott: when my program performs a similar action (repeatedly querying different channels), I hear a lot of relay clicking.  Could this frequent relay activity create a problem over an extended period?)
... The DP832A's are located in a garage (meaning that temperature and humidity might be more variable than most lab settings. Insects? This is a bug thread. :)). 

NO PROBLEMS
LaurentR:
... DP832
... Is accessing via script over Ethernet but has never had Ethernet connection drop.  Including one test with 24-hour elapsed time.

eelliott:
... DP832 01.14 (purchased July 2014) and DP811A 01.14 (purchased June 2015).
... Uses a custom C# application and NI VISA library.  Never encountered the Ethernet dropping but has never run hours-long tests.
... Static IP.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:30:31 pm by eelliott »

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:07 pm »
I own 4 units . Among those 4 units , 3 suffer from "frequent " reboot,
P.S my PSU run 7 days, 24 hours in a vlean and cool environment when in operation.

Offline mc3x

« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2017, 07:05:20 pm »
firmware 00.01.14.00.03

how to uninstall license keys?

This does not work - Press Utility, goto to sys info, press M1, M3, M2 quickly. then press clear.
Ultrasigma does not work either with the  :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

HELP  :wtf: |O

Ultrasigma eror:

* Error!!!
VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.
-> :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall
<- (Return Count:0)

I checked in the LCD of DP832 and license keys are still there
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:53:18 pm by mc3x »

The following users thanked this post: Scottjd

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #490 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:35 am »
Looking in the programming guide for the DP800 series, :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINStall is not a valid command for the power supplies. As far as I'm aware there is no way to uninstall the options on them. Its not like their oscilloscopes where you can install and uninstall as much as you like.

I am assuming you need to send it in for repair and want to remove evidence of obtaining free services? Good luck.

Edit: If you do happen to figure out a way to do it please post it here for others in similar situations.

Offline Silveruser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2017, 02:19:21 am »
The same page that generates the option codes seems to have an choice to generate a trial key as well. It may be possible to install the trial key and then just let the time run out. I've never tried it - might be risky as I doubt many people have.

Offline mc3x

« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2017, 03:03:58 am »
The same page that generates the option codes seems to have an choice to generate a trial key as well. It may be possible to install the trial key and then just let the time run out. I've never tried it - might be risky as I doubt many people have.

Anyone care to try? with an option code you do not need?
I'm sure somebody has faulty unit not worth to fix, and can easily try this.

My readback is (13-25mV) that is more than 0.05% + 5mV, and I installed official instead of trial key on brand new unit :palm:
The output is bang on, but I need to use this to do logging and stepping etc. I hoped for at least 4mV that I don't mind. but not what I see.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:29:38 am by mc3x »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:59 pm »
Calibrate it yourself or make up your own external calibration table. Return it yourself if you have to, I really doubt they would care about this.
I certainly wouldn't when I deal with RMA's.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline mc3x

« Reply #494 on: January 27, 2017, 04:47:42 am »
in the "DP800 Performance Verification Manual" page 2-21 they say:

"Send the :MEAS:VOLT? CH1 command via the remote interface; read and
record the returned voltage value U2 of the query command."

I wonder if reply would be 0.00 or 0.000? meaning that with hi-res option reply would have more digits that without?
Anybody tested this?

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #495 on: February 02, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
Hi.
First few with new DP832 minutes and BUG!!! (or failure).
In mine brand new psu OCP in channels 2 and 3 works only ONCE - ie. in the case of shortcut it turns off channel, as expected. But when the next shortcut appears, OCP acts as a current limit (reduces current without switching channel off). Even the best known method of computer specialists (turn it off and on) doesn't help - I need to change OCP limit setting to re-activate for another SINGLE action, but it not always works.
Channel 1 works fine.
Can anyone replicate that, or I have to send this psu back?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:46:17 pm by IAmBack »

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2017, 06:56:40 pm »
Just tried it here on my 2013 vintage DP832 with firmware version 1.11 and it seems to work fine on all three channels.

Which firmware version are you running?

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2017, 07:22:03 pm »
@IAmBack

On mine, OCP is working as expected (repeatedly) on all channels. F/W 01.14.00.03, Analog Board Top/Bottom both 02.02.04, Boot 01.09, Keyboard 01.01, all options "liberated"  ;), factory calibration from 2015/11/21.

Cheers,
Tom

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »
Digital version 01.13.00.01
Analog version 02.02.03.02.02.03
Boot version 1.09
Keyboard version 01.01
Calibration 2015 3 6

Test conditions:
Ch1: set 30V 0.5A, limit 33V 3.3A,  OVP/OCP off, channel OFF
Ch2: set 30V 0.5A, limit 33V 0.3A,  OVP-OCP on, channel ON
Ch3: set 0V   3A,    limit 5.5V 3A,   OVP-OCP on, channel OFF

Test performed on channel 2. Does not work.

No options activated.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:27:43 pm by IAmBack »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
Okay, I replicated your settings on my DP832 and the OCP worked everytime. It automatically is rearmed when the output is activated.

I recommend to update the firmware of your power supply to the current version (01.14), maybe your finding is a bug that Rigol eliminated with the update.

Cheers,
Tom

The following users thanked this post: IAmBack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf