Author Topic: Rigol dp832 is giving mild shock at the test leads  (Read 1629 times)

Offline SHARANYATopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol dp832 is giving mild shock at the test leads
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:11:47 am »
Dear experts
I recently bought a Rigol DP832.Everything was fine about the supply until today.While working today on bare foot,I accidentally touch the test leads at the back of my palm and felt some tingling feeling(At that time,all the supply outputs were "OFF").So i attached a electrical tester to the output test leads and the light was glowing!!!!
I received a two pin power cord with the power supply which has no Earthing pin(Schuko type).So I replaced the cord with a 3 pin cord and this time I tested with the electrical tester & the light was not glowing(Also No tingling sensation at the back of my palm).
I attached the dafault cord again and measured resistance(One of my fluke lead to one output lead of the supply & the other fluke lead to one of the input pin of the power cord ) for both Live & Neutral pin of the power cord.But each time,the meter showed "OL".
So my question,Is this normal or something is wrong with my supply??Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:22:11 am by SHARANYA »

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol dp832 is giving mild shock at the test leads
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:42 am »
Hello SHARANYA,

I don't have a RIGOL DP832 but IMHO seems normal that a non grounded device gives a small shock when touching its leads.
Moreover in Europe it is forbidden to have a metal chassis device without earth connected.
What puzzle me is that the stock cable was without ground connection, what are they thinking?

Best,
0xfede
Semel in anno licet insanire.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:02:20 pm »
schuko plugs have earth, it's just not a pin - it's recessed contacts that engage with clips in the socket.

Offline SHARANYATopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:05:26 pm »
@0xfede
You just saved my day.What a relief!!
The stock cable is Schuko type.In India,we don't use that kind of connector so the Earth connector of the stock cable is not getting connected to the Earth pin of the power socket.I just found some adapter in the internet and today I will order them.
Again,thanks a lot everybody for your time & response....

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:26 pm »
schuko plugs have earth, it's just not a pin - it's recessed contacts that engage with clips in the socket.

It is my understanding that the OP means that the plug completely miss the earth tab or am I wrong?

Turns out that I'm wrong....
Semel in anno licet insanire.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf