Author Topic: RIGOL DP832- Largest USB Drive accepted?  (Read 4994 times)

Offline broderpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RIGOL DP832- Largest USB Drive accepted?
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »
As the title suggests, I'm wondering what the largest USB drive this supply will take.

The Firmware Upgrade instructions caution against using USB Drives above 4GB.   I would like to get a Micro USB drive to keep in the back with my unit, but don't want to have something unreliable or will cause issues with the supply.

The simple answer would be to just buy a 4GB USB drive.....can't find a reasonable priced one anywhere!  :wtf:

I can get a 8GB drive from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYNSUA/ref=twister_B00JO6RO8C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm wanting a very low profile design to prevent damaging the USB drive or the port if I stand up the unit.

Does anyone have experience with 8GB or other issues/ quirks with the USB?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: RIGOL DP832- Largest USB Drive accepted?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:32:14 pm »
Larger drives use a different way to read, and use a FAT32 file system, while the sub 4G ones IIRC use FAT16. I have some 512M SD cards for an old camera, which does not work with larger cards. I sent some spare new ones to the US to somebody who needed extra cards for his old camera so he did not have to worry about the old ones wearing out from use.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »
Larger drives use a different way to read, and use a FAT32 file system, while the sub 4G ones IIRC use FAT16. I have some 512M SD cards for an old camera, which does not work with larger cards. I sent some spare new ones to the US to somebody who needed extra cards for his old camera so he did not have to worry about the old ones wearing out from use.

The same firmware upgrade instructions state:
NOTE: Format the USB stick as FAT32. If the device is not recognized, try
another USB memory stick. We also recommend minimizing the
number of folders, files, and programs on the stick. Drives less than
4GB in total volume are also recommended.

So apparently FAT32 is not an issue.   For grins, I plugged in a 32GB USB drive and it was able to read it OK, but I don't want to rely on storing data or firmware etc. if it's not reliably or buggy.  I was wondering if the size reference/ caution was due to the formatting or something else.  The instructions, which RIGOL sent me also were WRONG, so it may be just mis-information or outdated information.  A 8, 16 or 32GB USB drive may work just fine. :-//
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:08:21 pm by broderp »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:57 pm »
I used a PNY USB 3.0 64GB flash drive without issue (performed firmware update, saved screenshots).

Also worked fine on my DG1032Z, DS1054Z, and DS2072A.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:20:23 pm by dadler »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:34:09 pm »
I used a PNY USB 3.0 64GB flash drive without issue (performed firmware update, saved screenshots).

Also worked fine on my DG1032Z, DS1054Z, and DS2072A.

Alrighty then,  ;)  I'll go with the best value Micro sized USB and see what happens. (the 8GB I linked to above) Worse case scenario, I have an extra drive I spent less than $10 for.... ^-^

Thanks.

Offline kjdotts

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:13:02 am »
I'm wanting a very low profile design to prevent damaging the USB drive or the port if I stand up the unit.
I've been successfully using (for firmware/screenshots) these SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 low-profile flash drives. I got them from Sam's Club a few months back in a two-pack for like $8.00 on clearance (I bought two, two-packs). If you have a Sam's Club membership, it might not hurt to give them a check.

http://sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/?capacity=32GB
http://amazon.com/dp/B00812F7O8
http://amazon.com/dp/B00LLER2CS (New, USB 3.0 model, have NOT tried w/Rigol, just an FYI...)
http://samsclub.com/sams/32gb-2pk-flash-drive-sdcz33-032g-a16s2/prod9480081.ip

-Kris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:37:13 am by kjdotts »

Offline kjdotts

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:29:53 am »
Alrighty then,  ;)  I'll go with the best value Micro sized USB and see what happens. (the 8GB I linked to above) Worse case scenario, I have an extra drive I spent less than $10 for.... ^-^

Thanks.

Oops, I just realized you linked to the exact same flash drive as my post. Well, I can confirm they work flawlessly (the 32GB does so I would imagine the 8GB will).

-Kris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:41:18 am by kjdotts »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:53:52 am »

Thanks.

Oops, I just realized you linked to the exact same flash drive as my post. Well, I can confirm they work flawlessly (the 32GB does so I would imagine the 8GB will).

-Kris

Well its always good to have extra confirmation!  If the 32GB works, then I can almost rest assured the 8 or 16GB will  :-+
I love the low profile of those drives. 

I'm intrigued by the 3.0 version....I may get one for my PC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf