Author Topic: Rigol DP832 Random Reboots  (Read 7555 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 Random Reboots
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 11:08:51 am »
Slightly glad I didn’t buy one now. Historically speaking I had an issue with some Farnell supplies at university years ago. They were weak so if there was a power glitch the output cap would discharge across the pass transistor and blow it up. On powerup full unregulated DC would hit the DUT. To work around this we used a fat 5W Zener across and a fuse in series with the power supply.

Shouldn’t have to worry about this in 2018  :palm:

Online TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 02:51:28 pm »
I've got some issues with a DP811 (20V/10A or 40V/5A single output unit) also rebooting all by itself once in a while. It's working stand-alone, no LAN or USB connection so the behaviour shouldn't be induced externally. I recently updated it to the 01.16 beta firmware but it didn't make any difference regarding the reboot issue. Yet, it affected the 10s digit of the preset current display as not being able to properly display "0" -- the leftmost two vertical segments are clipped (btw, stupid idea to imitate a seven segment display on a graphic screen anyway...). So I'll probably return back to F/W 01.14 on that instrument. I'm curious if anyone will be able to find out what's actually causing the reboots on the DP800 series. A machine that's doing this all the time should be a good condidate for a fix. My one so far is only rebooting once every odd day or so...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:52:03 am by TurboTom »

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 05:18:56 am »
Since I bought the supply from the rigol clearance, it only had a 90 day warranty.  I would still be under the 3 year mfg warranty though.  They want $250usd eval to fix it.  I pushed back a bit since this reboot thing appears to be some sort of design problem. 

Offline Commodore8888

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 08:26:54 pm »
Bit of a necro here, but I had the 832 out for some "upgrades" (namely changing to an 832A via the SCPI command), and saw this thread while digging around.

Figured I should add the data point that I too had an 832 from circa mid 2016 (post regulator "fix") that encountered random reboots. It had been sitting idle for about 5mo on a shelf. I was lucky to get even 20s out of it, sometimes it would just sit in a boot loop.

FWIW, it did seem to be somewhat temperature dependent. I sent the unit in for warranty repair
in late 2017 and it came back fine (knock on wood). All the service sheet said was "replaced control board".
Mike D

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 12:23:04 am »
Ya, I should have followed up.  They ended up giving me a little break on the repair cost.

Before I sent my unit in it was pretty much in a constant reboot loop on my bench.  They claimed that they could not reproduce the problem, which is very odd considering it was 100% nonfunctional when I sent it.  Only thing I could figure was shipping knocked something back into place maybe?
Anyway I asked if they new exactly what the problem was with these "reboot" failures and he didn't tell me anything other than when they get one they just replace the whole control board, like Commodore8888 said.  All of my options were reset, so that does make sense.

It's been running fine since then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf