Products > Test Equipment

Rigol DP832 Random Reboots

(1/10) > >>

cidcorp:

I sat back and watched the issues relating to the 'lack' of heat dissipation on one of the regulators used in the Rigol DP832 and
waited for it to get sorted out before I committed to purchasing a unit.  I ordered at the beginning of the new year and to the best
of my knowledge (haven't opened the unit) it's the latest board revision with the larger silver heat sink (I can see it through the grill).

My problem is in the past couple days I started using it longer periods of time and I've noticed a serious issue.  If left idle (I've only
noticed this with the channels OFF) eventually it reboots.  I saw it through the corner of my eye a couple days ago and I noticed it 10 minutes
ago when I was actually looking straight at it.  It was only on for about 20 minutes. Temperature listed on the unit (in the Utility Test/Cal area) hovers
around 34.42.

I'm glad I noticed the reboot because I was using it on a 3.3v 5" LCD display/controller board, and silly me I didn't set the 'Power On' option to LAST setup and it
was instead set to DEFAULT (CH3 5v)...things would have ended badly for the display and board. if I enabled the output without noticing the change.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this happening?  I'm on firmware 1.06, and yes I'll consider the later firmware if it seems like it's a fix.  Has anyone else
had issues with random reboots?  The dead giveaway is the sound of the FAN switching to FULL while it is rebooting...

I may have to check inside to see how the 'fix' was implemented on my unit.  For now I'm letting it idle and checking the temperature for when it reboots.

Chris

taemun:

--- Quote ---I'm glad I noticed the reboot because I was using it on a 3.3v 5" LCD display/controller board, and silly me I didn't set the 'Power On' option to LAST setup and itwas instead set to DEFAULT (CH3 5v)...things would have ended badly for the display and board. if I enabled the output without noticing the change.
--- End quote ---

Ouch. Are you able to set the power-on defaults to 0V so that this doesn't happen in future?

cidcorp:

Well the good thing is that all channels are OFF by default when the power supply cycles.  I have now set it to LAST in the Power On setting, so I
at least feel a little better walking away from the bench for a while.  I've tested it and the settings are retained after it cycles.

After watching the temperature on the supply for close to an hour and half of use, I can't say that it's probably not the temperature of the device.  I do admit that it starts to
climb very very slowly over time...starting at 34 and climbing over a hour and a half to 35.25 and I suspect it will continue, but this doesn't alarm me because
I was using the supply during this time and I'm surprised that's all it climbed to.

I'm going to assume no one else has run into this problem... the few I've talked to are at the latest firmware and haven't seen this issue.  I maybe just my unit
as well.  I'll start documenting the reboots to keep a record.

Chris

H.O:
Hi,
I've got mine for ~6months, it's the old board with the small heatsink. I don't use it on a daily basis, sometimes not even weakly but I'm yet to see it reboot. I'm on 230VAC nominal, haven't measured actual.

Have contacted Rigol - twice - about getting the board replaced without even getting a response. I'm not TOO bothered though, I'll probabaly live with it, and fix it myself when the times comes.

But, your unit is with the new heatsink which is supposed to fix the issue. I can't believe it's STILL the same regulator overheating....

uski:
Hi,

I've heard about people replacing that linear regulator with a small switch-mode power supply module out of eBay, like this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-LM2596-Power-Supply-Output-1-23V-30V-/181227591312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a32019690
DC-DC Buck Converter Step Down Module LM2596 Power Supply Output 1.23V-30V

$0.99 each, shipped.

(don't forget to adjust the output voltage before connecting it to the circuit)

uski

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version