Author Topic: RIGOL DP832 still a good Bench PS?  (Read 9500 times)

Offline DriftlessNetTopic starter

• Contributor
RIGOL DP832 still a good Bench PS?
« on: June 20, 2021, 11:38:36 pm »
Hello

I am new to forum, but I have been lurking for awhile.

I am in the market for a solid bench PS that does not break the bank. My main use's will include repair of older electronics, mainly older audio equipment, and occasional circuit prototyping for Arduino type projects.

I seen a lot of reviews on the RIGOL DP832 and think it will meet my needs, but most of the information on it seems to be 5-7 years old. Just wondering if this is still considered a somewhat decent supply considering the price range I am in, which even the Rigol would be stretching my budget, so any alternative suggestions would need to be around that $450 range at the most.

Also, I liked the version with the display outputs divided up into three columns, not the tri-looking arrangement on the DP832A, and just wanted to confirm that the base DP832 is still that way and hasn't been "upgraded" in more recent firmware as far as the display layout.

Thanks!

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: RIGOL DP832 still a good Bench PS?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:02:34 am »
What about this?   

The following users thanked this post: DriftlessNet

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:38:07 am »
Unless you want the additional gizmo displays and features, I think they are just too much money when you take into account the unrepairable failures, turn-on surges and so forth.  I personally have not purchased any of these new supplies and I have several older models that work well--they reliably produce power.  If you do want a new, fancy one, the maker space I hang out at sometimes has a Siglent 3303X which seems very solid and nice, the 3303X-E is similar but less money.  Also, from a previous discussion of power supplies, user Arthur Dent ended up with a GW Instek model that he was quite pleased with and I believe it was much less than the Rigol.  You might want to search the forums for that discussion.

The PSU that I have that with the sort of power outputs that  you are looking at (0-30V, 2.5A x2, 5V x 1) is an old Tektronix PS280, not actually Tektronix made, but OEMed by GW Instek.  It's heavy and the fan blows a lot of air, but it gets the job done--and I use it pretty much the way you intend to.  It's also repairable unless you drop it on the floor, and then it still might be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324547289581?hash=item4b9086a1ed:g:J7EAAOSwQ7dgY7Ao

EDIT:  watched the video, the issue of two channels sharing the same common ground is a problem that won't matter until one day something goes up in flames.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:45:24 am by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 04:43:38 am »
Appreciate all the good input.

From the updated videos and reviews I saw posted since the original EEV Fail video, I thought the DP832 was updated to address most of the earlier issues. When you mention the "unrepairable failures" are you referencing specific faults of the DP832 or just the general inability to repair more modern electronics as easily as older equipment?

The old Tektronics does look interesting, I will need to consider used equipment in my search. I do not need a lot of the "newer" features, but I do like the idea of all three channels being displayed simultaneously with relevant info on all three. I also would like a unit with a timer function as I plan to occasionally use it as a battery charger for a few oddball sized rechargeable batteries I have. Not necessarily a must have, but it would be a nice to have.

One issue that does concern me is the turn-on surge from the above linked video, I was unaware of this fault from my earlier research. I was reading through the DP832 manual and noticed it has two modes for start up, Last and Default. Is the turn-on surge issue present in both modes?

Offline riccardo.pittini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 06:59:10 am »
I use several DP832 in the lab.

The Rigol DP832 out of the factory often came with a firmware that had the turn-on spike issue (I also observed spikes of 30V for 0.5-1sec, not just a low energy spike but it could power a fan!!). I contacted support (Batronix, excellent support) and I got a firmware update.

Firmware update fixed the spike issue.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks Riccardo for the letting me know about the firmware fix for the reported power-on surge issue.

I will say that after hearing about the power-on issue it was bugging me a bit and started to sway me away from even considering the DP832, so I am glad to hear they are addressing these issues and there is a fix in place for it.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 02:14:22 pm »
I use a DP832A and I love mine. I haven't compared it directly to a lot of competitors, but in terms of daily use around here, it does everything I could want and more. Never had any issues with it, in ~2 years of usage. (Knock on wood!)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 02:57:05 am »
I use a DP832A and I love mine. I haven't compared it directly to a lot of competitors, but in terms of daily use around here, it does everything I could want and more. Never had any issues with it, in ~2 years of usage. (Knock on wood!)

Thanks for the input. The more the feedback from existing owners the better as $450 or so is a sizeable investment for my budget and I don't want to end up regretting my decision.

With that said, the more I look around and research the more I think I am still leaning toward the DP832. I briefly thought about the multiple independent supplies mentioned in the above video and even looked at some used equipment, but I really like the DP832's display and the idea of timer controls for my uses. My intended use will require at least two sources anyway, and having it all in one chassis is also quite attractive. I do wish the price was about $150 cheaper, but I guess that is the cost to get a somewhat usable supply that isn't total junk.

One other question, I know one 30V output shares a common ground to the 5V output, but has anyone had issues using the two 30V channels in serial? I don't foresee a lot of heavy use at 60V, but I anticipate the occasional need for something greater than 30V from time to time.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 03:01:00 am »
I have had a good run with mine. It's a very solid power supply across the entire range.
The UI is really ugly and clumsy, but I have eventually gotten used to it.

Value for money I haven't found anything to replace it.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 06:36:24 am »
Mine is still working OK.  Didn't had any problems so far.

If it were to buy again, I would look for something without a fan, not sure if there are any.  In a lab at home, DP832 is noisier than the oscilloscope and the desktop combined.  At low power the fan noise is still tolerable, but at average power the fan turns to high speed, and it become unbearable for long term.

Another thing is that when the DP832 is turned on, during boot, some units are outputting a spike of current on the channel one, so before powering the DP832 up, better unplug any low voltage circuit that are connected to channel 1.

For devboards like Arduino, I always power them from the 5V USB, or from a wall adapter of the desired voltage.  Otherwise it would be too noisy for me to keep the DP832 while writing programs.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 07:50:16 am »
The GW Instek GPP4300 series is worth looking at ( https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GPP-Series ). At least it has isolated channels and on top of that it can function as a DC load. If I have to buy a bench PSU nowadays then this would be my choice.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:37:34 am »

If it were to buy again, I would look for something without a fan, not sure if there are any.  In a lab at home, DP832 is noisier than the oscilloscope and the desktop combined.  At low power the fan noise is still tolerable, but at average power the fan turns to high speed, and it become unbearable for long term.

I have heard the noise only in videos, but that isn't a realistic assessment of what it would sound like in my environment so I appreciate any insight on if this is something that can be at least reduced. Do you think it is due to the actual fan itself or more the case design and it the airflow causing most of the noise? Do you think swapping out to a Noctua fan and maybe utilizing rubber mounting would help?

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 10:58:59 am »
The GW Instek GPP4300 series is worth looking at ( https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GPP-Series ). At least it has isolated channels and on top of that it can function as a DC load. If I have to buy a bench PSU nowadays then this would be my choice.

I'm not very keen on the looks of GWInstek scopes, but since I bought a GOM804 microohm meter from them, I really like their instruments, and this line of power supplies seems great and good price too:

https://eleshop.eu/gw-instek-gpp-4323-programmable-power-supply.html

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:14 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 11:16:09 am »
Wow, this is a solid recommendation - GWI tends to have reasonable quality and the combination with an electronic load is quite interesting for the price.

Unfortunately they are not as popular as other brands, but fortunately EEV to the rescue:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gw-instek-gpp-3323-psu-fan-noise-on-idle/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 03:32:51 pm »
Do you think it is due to the actual fan itself or more the case design and it the airflow causing most of the noise? Do you think swapping out to a Noctua fan and maybe utilizing rubber mounting would help?

I have Noctua in the desktop, where they made a difference because there is plenty of space to use larger fans with slower RPM, but I don't think there will be much difference with the power supply, where the space is limited.  It's mostly the air that makes the noise.  Then, if you modify it then you loose the free service period.

Anyways, looking at those GWinstek it seems like a much better choice IMO, especially for being able to act like a load (if this is really the case and not just some marketing lie).  I've needed a controlled load many times, and had to improvise because DP832 can not act as a load.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 09:20:59 pm »
Do you think it is due to the actual fan itself or more the case design and it the airflow causing most of the noise? Do you think swapping out to a Noctua fan and maybe utilizing rubber mounting would help?

It's mostly the air that makes the noise.  Then, if you modify it then you loose the free service period.

I was more meaning doing a modification down-the-road, as you are correct I would not change anything until I was quite happy with the performance. I don't believe anyone would want to risk the warranty being voided over a bit of extra noise. You are probably right on the noise most likely being due to restricted airflow around the components and being pushed out the stamped grill on the back.

I do know Noctua fans are usually anywhere from a few to several decibels lower that the competition, but these measurements are usually of just the fans running in free air with no restrictions. I have replaced many standard fans with Noctura over the years with mixed results. I usually can get some reduction though by also incorporating some type of isolation mounting, (rubber, etc.) instead of the fan being bolted directly to the chassis frame. In a case like this, where the vents are comprised of stamped out slots on the back panel, I would normally cut that part out leaving the circular hole and mounting a metal fan guard in its place which allows a lot more airflow with its thinner wire profile and smooth rounded edges.

Anyway, I was just trying to look at it from the perspective of if there were any potential "fixes" that might be available in the future if I found the noise to be too offensive. I don't want to rule out an otherwise perfectly good supply just because in its factory configuration it is noisy, but on the other hand if there are no good solutions than the excessive fan noise would definitely be a negative.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 11:12:53 pm »
https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GPP-3323/DC-Power-Supplies/Lab-Power-Supplies/
$540 and it has two outputs, third output is semi-fixed, not adjustable current. Enjoy your low voltage circuitry at 5A.

The CH1/CH2 of the GPP-Series are designed with the load function. A single power supply can set one channel as the power output, and one channel for the load function to consume the power of the DUT so as to meet the basic charging and discharging test requirements for battery. Channel 1 and channel 2 not only provide 32V/3A power output, but also feature built- in maximum 32V constant voltage load (CV), maximum 3.2A constant current load (CC) and maximum 1k constant resistance Ω load (CR) function.

So you get a 100W load, but you are paying $70 more. IF you want programmability and one channel PSU one channel load, then that is great. If not, better off just saving that $70 to buy a cheap external load.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 06:37:34 am »
https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GPP-3323/DC-Power-Supplies/Lab-Power-Supplies/
$540 and it has two outputs, third output is semi-fixed, not adjustable current. Enjoy your low voltage circuitry at 5A.

The CH1/CH2 of the GPP-Series are designed with the load function. A single power supply can set one channel as the power output, and one channel for the load function to consume the power of the DUT so as to meet the basic charging and discharging test requirements for battery. Channel 1 and channel 2 not only provide 32V/3A power output, but also feature built- in maximum 32V constant voltage load (CV), maximum 3.2A constant current load (CC) and maximum 1k constant resistance Ω load (CR) function.

So you get a 100W load, but you are paying $70 more. IF you want programmability and one channel PSU one channel load, then that is great. If not, better off just saving that $70 to buy a cheap external load.

On multichannel versions it is 50W for load per ch, on first 2 ch. 100W is only for single channel model.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 08:44:26 am »
2 channels in parallel gives a 100W load
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 06:43:45 pm »
You didn't mention how far along you are with a lab build.   In any event I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the rush to power supplies while the rest of the lab is lacking more important tools.   So I can't even suggest a multi supply power supply if your lab is lacking other tools.

Hello

I am new to forum, but I have been lurking for awhile.

I am in the market for a solid bench PS that does not break the bank. My main use's will include repair of older electronics, mainly older audio equipment, and occasional circuit prototyping for Arduino type projects.
An Arduino can run off a plug pack.   

As for repair, how often does somebody make use of a power supply to repair audio equipment?    I'm just not convinced that a power supply will be put to use all that often for audio repair work.

As for "old electronics" that really depends upon what you are repairing, even here though how often do you need a triple output supply?

I seen a lot of reviews on the RIGOL DP832 and think it will meet my needs, but most of the information on it seems to be 5-7 years old. Just wondering if this is still considered a somewhat decent supply considering the price range I am in, which even the Rigol would be stretching my budget, so any alternative suggestions would need to be around that $450 range at the most.
If you need to stretch the budget then don't, especially for a power supply.   I just don't see a power supply as being worth it.   
Also, I liked the version with the display outputs divided up into three columns, not the tri-looking arrangement on the DP832A, and just wanted to confirm that the base DP832 is still that way and hasn't been "upgraded" in more recent firmware as far as the display layout.

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to focus on single output supplies which can be had for far less.   One supply is likely enough to get your started.   This especially if the Arduino is operating off a plug pack or other fixed voltage supply.

There are other advantages to single output supplies.    For one as you build out your bench you can have redundancy.   That is you don't loose all of your power sources as you would if a multi-output unit goes down.  Single output units are often smaller and likewise you can save space by only having the number on the bench you need.

In any event the number of power supplies you might need is really a function of what you are doing at the bench.    I'm just not convinced there is a pressing need, for a bench focused on audio equipment repair, in most cases.    It is a whole different game if you are getting into the development of audio equipment where you may need many different supplies.   You may need a supply on a repair bench but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.    Further that supply you buy might not be the right one when you need it, buy a 30 volt supply when your repair problem demands a 72 volt supply and you will be frustrated.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 07:07:27 pm »
There are 2 problems with wall-warts (you probably mean that by plug pack)
1) They may have half the mains voltage on their output which will immediately destroy any logic input which somehow is grounded
2) They have no current limit so it is very easy to fry a circuit

If you really want to go cheap then it is still a good idea to get a PSU with a current limit and personally I like to have some resolution in the readouts of a PSU. No less than 4 digits for current and voltage (assuming a 30V / 1A power supply). It won't be accurate but at least you have a meaningful resolution. With less digits you'll see that you always need a multimeter to check voltage and current. That is just clumsy to work with. Also make sure to buy a linear regulated power supply. Switching power supplies like the ones from Gophert and Rek are great but only to serve as an adjustable wall-wart for a project which is finished or devices which need DC power; switching power supplies have too much noise on their outputs to be useful for development work. The noise will turn up on your oscilloscope making signals hard to see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:48:58 pm by nctnico »

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 02:18:53 am »
You didn't mention how far along you are with a lab build.   In any event I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the rush to power supplies while the rest of the lab is lacking more important tools.   So I can't even suggest a multi supply power supply if your lab is lacking other tools.

Yeah, I do need to round it out with some other equipment as well, that's the main reason I want to stay under $450 with a PS. I have thought about going with a single PS and adding more as time goes on, which is probably the smartest way, but at some point I would probably want three channels anyway and bench space will be more of a premium than money.

An Arduino can run off a plug pack.   

As for repair, how often does somebody make use of a power supply to repair audio equipment?    I'm just not convinced that a power supply will be put to use all that often for audio repair work.

As for "old electronics" that really depends upon what you are repairing, even here though how often do you need a triple output supply?

Yeah, I do have a lot of power packs currently in use for various projects, but would like a bench supply for new circuits. I plan to get more heavily involved in the hobby as my interest has grown. I only mentioned the audio work as indicating I would prefer a linear supply, as otherwise I figured I would get a lot of switching type supply responses so I just addressed that from the beginning. I also would like to build my own audio power amp(s) one day, as well as a few other ideas I have, so wanted to be prepared for that time.

If you need to stretch the budget then don't, especially for a power supply.   I just don't see a power supply as being worth it.   

Well its not so much as can't afford as don't want to. After some research it is apparent that this hobby, much like my other ones, can quickly go from hobby level to serious $. I am just trying to set a realistic budget for myself up front so I don't convince myself I need that $1,000 PS and such. Like most people I want the best bang for my buck, but I don't want to go so cheap as to regret it later and then end up spending more money anyway. So by all means I am looking for the best honest opinions, if people truly think starting out with a single PS is the best route I surely will consider it.

My suggestion would be to focus on single output supplies which can be had for far less.   One supply is likely enough to get your started.   This especially if the Arduino is operating off a plug pack or other fixed voltage supply.

There are other advantages to single output supplies.    For one as you build out your bench you can have redundancy.   That is you don't loose all of your power sources as you would if a multi-output unit goes down.  Single output units are often smaller and likewise you can save space by only having the number on the bench you need.

In any event the number of power supplies you might need is really a function of what you are doing at the bench.    I'm just not convinced there is a pressing need, for a bench focused on audio equipment repair, in most cases.    It is a whole different game if you are getting into the development of audio equipment where you may need many different supplies.   You may need a supply on a repair bench but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.    Further that supply you buy might not be the right one when you need it, buy a 30 volt supply when your repair problem demands a 72 volt supply and you will be frustrated.

Again, I appreciate your honest opinion. Got me thinking seriously about going with a single PS to start. Any good ones to consider? I hear a lot about the Korad KA3005P, is that a good place to start or something else?

Its probably best served in its own thread, but I will need to add to the lab at some point. I do have a background in electronics (Allee Hall, if anyone gets the reference), but that has been some years ago and I have been doing Network Engineering work since, so not a lot of electronic hands on. The last few years with the Pi and Arduino projects I have really begun to get into it again and would like to start to build my own circuits to integrate even more ideas.

Anyway, long story short, I thought I would re-educate myself as I built up the lab, by building simple circuits as I read books and follow along videos. My thoughts were to start off with a decent PS and a Scope. I have some lesser gear and tools already, couple DVM's, soldering stations, etc. but no bench type equipment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:21:37 am by DriftlessNet »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 05:06:57 am »
A SPD3303X-E is reasonable value at $ 389 but the 3rd channel is only 2.5/3.3/5.0 V @ 3.2A.
At least it has 3 properly isolated channels and good power ON behavior.
That you can also series units to a max of 500V can be useful if you require that sort of capability.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline justme1968

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 06:53:19 am »
i‘m also looking for a bench power supply and was looking for the dp832. my main concern was that is is quite deep. but yesterday i found these two videos: and i‘m quite disappointed. his device is 5 years old, but has anything changed since then?

regarding the size: something the size of a the korad would be nice. or the size of the dg800/dg900 series.   with just 1 channel each but stackable. so it can be expanded over time. the stacking would allow tracking and parallel/series mode without the need to adjust each device separately. does something like this exist for a reasonable price?

i have also seen the comparison to 3 korads and there are some of my arguments. but my korad is also loud and buttons and the knob start to be flaky.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf