Author Topic: Rigol DP832 USB Remote Control  (Read 4643 times)

Offline NF6XTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
Rigol DP832 USB Remote Control
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:00:28 am »
Have any of y'all used USB remote control successfully with a Rigol DP832 (or related) power supply? I've never gotten it to work with any of the few DP832 supplies I have access to. I previously tried (and gave up, and used Ethernet instead) a couple years ago under a previous firmware revision, and I've just started looking into USB control again with both a brand new DP832 and an older one which I've just upgraded to the current firmware release (digital version :00.01.16.00.02, analog version :02.02.04.02.02.04, boot version :01.09).

I would like to use python-usbtmc for instrument control. I can talk to a Rigol DM3058 with it, but any attempts to use it with a Rigol DP832 result in timeouts under macOS, Linux, or Linux in a VM on a macOS host. I've also tried to use Rigol's Ultra Power software in Windows 7 in a VM on a macOS host, and it just seems to hang while trying to connect to the device.

I don't know a lot about debugging USB protocol yet, but I've tried fumbling around with monitoring the DP832 with a Total Phase Beagle USB 480 Power analyzer. When I connect the DP832, I see "Invalid PID sequence" errors in the setup transactions. After the Set Configuration transaction, I see an endless stream of identical OUT transfers involving endpoint 1, which appears to be configured as an interrupt IN endpoint. I don't see such blathering on the bus when I monitor the DM3058.

I am wondering whether there may be any known issues with USB control of the DP832, either in general or when it's connected to either Linux or macOS hosts. It's not yet clear to me whether the power supply's USB device interface just doesn't work, or if it's having trouble with the specific computers, operating systems and libraries I'm trying to use it with. All of my successful and unsuccessful attempts at remote instrument control using open-source libraries have given me the impression that it's all a house of cards. :)

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 USB Remote Control
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:12:46 pm »
I have no problem using SCPI commands via the USB device port of my DP832 in Windows 10.

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:54:39 pm »
Maybe it just doesn't play well with macOS and/or Linux? I'll try to find a Win10 machine (not a VM) to test it with. But if that's the case, I'll just have to use ethernet.

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:00:17 pm »
Ah, so it's not just me. It really is a house of cards. :) Thank you for the link.

It's good that I've upgraded the firmware to 1.16, then. I seem to recall having trouble with general flakiness the last time I was doing automated testing with my Rigol gear, but it has been long enough that I don't remember if I was having trouble with the specific issues identified in that thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf