Author Topic: Rigol DS1000z Replacement Back Cover  (Read 1698 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Rigol DS1000z Replacement Back Cover
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:31:32 pm »
Hi! so today my ds1104z arrived, since it was used (given to me by someone in the forum) it didn't come with the original packaging nor came from rigol. it was in perfect condition before being shipped by DHL and today, when i opened the package (might not have been the original but it was really really well package+ a fragile sticker on the box) the grey back cover/case part was broken as seen in the picture. The legs were also broken so it can't really stand up angled. whether or not DHL responds for this damage i'd like to replace that part since it doesn't look that good, and losing the angling option is not great. Does anyone know if rigol sells this part as a replacement? or where else i could get it?

Thank you!

Offline Oilngas

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000z Replacement Back Cover
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:47 pm »
That really looks bad, I hope that the scope still works OK and that DHL will come through for you on the back cover.

I use a couple of these 3D printed feet instead of the folding legs and I really like them.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2631451
Lots and lots of VTVM's and Triplett analog multimeters

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 06:34:11 pm »
oooh, thank you, i think i'll print those in the meantime!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 06:47:28 pm »
It must have taken a hell of a beating, those things are tough.

It's all steel underneath the plastic. Take the back off and check if the steel is OK.

DHL won't be responsible for anything unless you paid for insurance and even then it's tough - how do you prove it wasn't like that when it was shipped?

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:04:36 pm »
Considering the solidity of Rigol's instrument casings, your scope must have taken a real good blow to look like this. Did you test it to still work within specs? If DHL offers to compenste you for the damage, I'ld probably rather take a full refund than attempting a repair -- you never know if the hit left hidden flaws that may manifest themselves at a later time.

If your only option is to fix the instrument, I'ld contact Rigol's subsidary in charge for your area and ask a quote for the spare. I assume the casing back is identical with the DS1000Z-E, so you can take the spare part numbers from this service manual. If they cannot help you, you're probably out of luck and may look at glueing the crack of the existing casing (PMMA adhesive works best on ABS, i.e. "Stabilit Express" or the like) and fix the flap-out feet.

They are especially crappy on the DS1000Z and I'm waiting for the plastic prongs to snap on mine everytime I flap them out. When this happens, there's no way I'ld install the same crap (spares) again but I'ld rather drill through the feet from side to side slightly smaller than the diameter of the plastic prongs and push a steel shaft through that I'll beef up at the ends with some brass tubing to match the original size. This way, the feet will last forever.

Good luck with your scope, whichever way the road may turn...  ;)

PS. Fungus beat me to that, but what the heck, I'll post anyway  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:09:27 pm by TurboTom »

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:15:37 pm »
It must have taken a hell of a beating, those things are tough.

It's all steel underneath the plastic. Take the back off and check if the steel is OK.

DHL won't be responsible for anything unless you paid for insurance and even then it's tough - how do you prove it wasn't like that when it was shipped?

Hi! yes, thank you, insurance was paid for it fortunately. DHL still has not said anything, so it might as well have been a waste to pay that insurance. fortunately it does work, and seems to work well, it looks ok inside, so i think it's just cosmetic and mild functional damage (if we think ofthe broken legs as extra functionality)

Considering the solidity of Rigol's instrument casings, your scope must have taken a real good blow to look like this. Did you test it to still work within specs? If DHL offers to compenste you for the damage, I'ld probably rather take a full refund than attempting a repair -- you never know if the hit left hidden flaws that may manifest themselves at a later time.

If your only option is to fix the instrument, I'ld contact Rigol's subsidary in charge for your area and ask a quote for the spare. I assume the casing back is identical with the DS1000Z-E, so you can take the spare part numbers from this service manual. If they cannot help you, you're probably out of luck and may look at glueing the crack of the existing casing (PMMA adhesive works best on ABS, i.e. "Stabilit Express" or the like) and fix the flap-out feet.

They are especially crappy on the DS1000Z and I'm waiting for the plastic prongs to snap on mine everytime I flap them out. When this happens, there's no way I'ld install the same crap (spares) again but I'ld rather drill through the feet from side to side slightly smaller than the diameter of the plastic prongs and push a steel shaft through that I'll beef up at the ends with some brass tubing to match the original size. This way, the feet will last forever.

Good luck with your scope, whichever way the road may turn...  ;)

PS. Fungus beat me to that, but what the heck, I'll post anyway  ;D

Unfortunately since this oscilloscope was used, and given to me for free, i don't think i'll be able to get a full refund to get another one, but yes, i will contact rigol, to find out about their prices (if they do sell the part) and hopefully dhl will cover that cost since it was perfect before shipping, and fortunately tehre are pictures of it before shipping that my friend sent me when he picked it up from loveny (the forum user who gave it to me).

Thank you!

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:31:46 pm »
For repair I would recommend J-B Weld Plastic Bonder. Repaired a thin dishwasher handle that tore off over a year ago. Still holding strong today under heavy usage without any issues. Of course may not be available in all countries.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:36 pm »
For repair I would recommend J-B Weld Plastic Bonder. Repaired a thin dishwasher handle that tore off over a year ago. Still holding strong today under heavy usage without any issues. Of course may not be available in all countries.

Thank you! i'm going to wait and see if rigol says anything about selling this part, as well as wait for DHL's response before doing anything permanent to it, but i'll keep this in mind  :)

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 09:03:28 pm »
We've heard back from auspost and dhl, they want a statutory declaration that the declared value is correct ( it was marked as 350 AUD) so they can proceed with compensation. We don't know anyone in sydney willing to co-sign the declaration as witness since they don't know about oscilloscopes or their value. this seems to be just one step before getting compensation from them for the damage done. I just thought to ask here, would anyone living in sydney be willing to help us with signing that declaration as witness?

thank you! and sorry if this shouldn't go here, just thought to ask  :-[

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf