Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (latest: 00.04.04.04.03, 2019-05-30)  (Read 110283 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (from: 00.04.04.03.02)
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 04:17:58 am »
Never never again I buy those cheap crap from Rigol !

hf
"Pluses"

Yes, there are some minuses. :-DD :horse:

Maybe if I sell some more of my stuff I can get a Keysight. But for now the Rigol does what I need it to. Hope you get yours running again.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:19:29 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 05:50:04 am »
Did you try deep cycle / alternative reset?
PDF from Rigol on alternate reset
Do we know whether this applies to the DS1000Z series as well? The tech note only refers to the DS2000 series and up.

Also there is a memory clearing procedure:
PDF from Rigol on sanitizing memory
The recommendation to disable the "recall last setup after power-up" option makes sense; maybe this can avoid the freeze upon startup which Fennec experiences. As the buttons are all locked up -- can the UTILITY > SYSTEM > POWER SET > Default setting be achieved via a Telnet command?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 06:10:53 am »
Did you try deep cycle / alternative reset?
PDF from Rigol on alternate reset
Do we know whether this applies to the DS1000Z series as well? The tech note only refers to the DS2000 series and up.
Yes, but there aren't as many buttons so you have to count up from the bottom rather than down from the top. See the image below.

Also there is a memory clearing procedure:
PDF from Rigol on sanitizing memory
The recommendation to disable the "recall last setup after power-up" option makes sense; maybe this can avoid the freeze upon startup which Fennec experiences. As the buttons are all locked up -- can the UTILITY > SYSTEM > POWER SET > Default setting be achieved via a Telnet command?

I don't think so, at least I can't find anything in the Programming Manual, but there have been undocumented commands come up before now. You can Calibrate and stop Calibration via telnet though.

But if the above "alternative reset"  procedure works (it always has for me)  it resets everything to factory default anyway and this should turn "power set" back to where it doesn't remember the last setup and boots to the Default setup. It also resets language to Chinese! But the first thing you can do is set your own language if it isn't Chinese.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »
Easy way.
I made a new thumb-drive with the firmware, pluged it in and start the scope. And viola, the screen doesn't show the calibration failure screen anymore and want do a firmware update. NOW the buttons working. I have no idea what happens yesterday.

Startup reset wouldn't work. If I tried this, it beeps a few times, than the beeper wouldn't stop and ALL the grey buttons are dead, no way to stop it.

The issues, a few posts up, are still there.

But for now the Rigol does what I need it to. Hope you get yours running again.

It is NOT the scope, its RIGOL!
If I know the issues I can deal with it, because it is cheap and functional. BUT RIGOL knows all the listed bugs we found here over the years and they still didn't fix them? Why? 
The older Scopes has some hardware failures. OKAY, can I deal with, but why the heck RIGOL says nothing about this problem?  Only one set in the Doku, maybe "Hardware Vers. 1.1.2 freeze bug can't be fixed" and all is fine. But no, there's no comment about some bugs anywhere and RIGOL loughing, jumps around and sell more and more of this not fixable crap without any comment. High five RIGOL!
Maybe two years ago, this RIGOL member here says they have no Vers. 1.1.2 to test the bugs. Wanna kidding me ?!

If RIGOL wanna play fair, they should upload the schematics for the old and the new hardware, a hex dump from the chips, so we have a chance (maybe) to fix our scopes himself.
I have no idea why all the schematics today set to cosmic top secret. Normal a schematic should be in the instruction manual. For me a shematic is a "must have".
Maybe they are afraid someone is rebuilding it on a breadboard and sell it as original with CE on the back.

The RIGOL Service is my problem , not the scope itself.

Not the "Pluses" is a joke, the whole service is a joke. So I don't buy RIGOL anymore and good. Learned my lesson.

*Exsample Fluke. I send in a 30 years old Fluke 8840A for calibration. One Knob wouldn't work sometimes, not a real deal. It comes back with a complete new Front, new Knobs and a Letter "Thank you for using our Service". So what should I say ?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:44:48 pm by Fennec »

Offline frozenfrogzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
On the positive side: I am glad you could revive your scope via reinstalling the firmware again.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 01:08:07 pm »
On the positive side: I am glad you could revive your scope via reinstalling the firmware again.

Yepp, hope the new owner is happy with the scope. I don't like use it anymore.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 01:18:17 pm »
I totally understand your frustration. Could you please post the board/boot/fw version of the scope so I can put it in the buglist? Might be a good thing for others to not crash into that same wall as you did.

Thank you :)

FYI:
Just had a talk with someone at Rigol EU here in Germany and on Tuesday 18th the technician in charge of handling bug reports is back in office. I am going to call to talk about the buglist and some other things. Don’t know what will happen, but you never know :)
Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:26:40 pm by frozenfrogz »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
There's /was a RIGOL contributor here in the forum.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:02:29 pm by Fennec »

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 03:38:20 pm »
Easy way.
I made a new thumb-drive with the firmware, pluged it in and start the scope. And viola, the screen doesn't show the calibration failure screen anymore and want do a firmware update. NOW the buttons working. I have no idea what happens yesterday.

Ummmm... your firmware got corrupted? Flash memory, it happens.

Luckily the 'scope has a recovery mode, all you had to do was insert a thumb-drive and it fixed itself.

No need for all the anti-Rigol ranting, it can happen to any device with Flash memory.

*Exsample Fluke. I send in a 30 years old Fluke 8840A for calibration. One Knob wouldn't work sometimes, not a real deal. It comes back with a complete new Front, new Knobs and a Letter "Thank you for using our Service". So what should I say ?!

Have you looked at the price of Flukes?  :-//

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:43:29 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 04:22:52 pm »
Luckily the 'scope has a recovery mode, all you had to do was insert a thumb-drive and it fixed itself. No need for all the anti-Rigol ranting, it can happen to any device with Flash memory.

How does it works, if I can not press any key ?

I don't have payed for that fix, for the calibration only.

What has the price to do with the quallity of service? Nothing.

Exsample again. Uni-T. I had a damaged Uni-T. I have sent it back to CHINA. Shipping was more than $US150. The device itself costs about $US90. I've got a new Device + my money back. Is that service or what ?
So don't say "i have to pay for service"

Online kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:46 pm »
Luckily the 'scope has a recovery mode, all you had to do was insert a thumb-drive and it fixed itself. No need for all the anti-Rigol ranting, it can happen to any device with Flash memory.

How does it works, if I can not press any key ?

Your scope still doesn't work?  I thought reflashing the scope brought it back to normal operation.  At least, that's what your message implied.  Is that not the case?

If your scope now works after reflashing, then what Fungus is saying is a real possibility: the previous upgrade attempt resulted in a corrupt image and a malfunctioning scope, and the last flash attempt you did restored it to normal working order.

I don't have payed for that fix, for the calibration only.

What has the price to do with the quallity of service? Nothing.

Everything, actually.  High quality service requires more manpower, which requires paying people, which costs money.   It also tends to require higher quality people, which also costs money.

You may have paid for the calibration only, but the people who fixed your meter took time to do so, time which they could have spent on other jobs that were explicitly paid for.  That time cost Fluke money.  That money had to come from somewhere.  Either it came from the price of the calibration service or it came from the price they charge for their instruments.  But either way, something is more expensive because of it.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 04:31:41 pm »
Why are you guys polluting this thread which has a specific subject? I know that this is normal for the internet, but please stop trashing the thread with garbage.

The following users thanked this post: Fennec

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 04:42:11 pm »
Why are you guys polluting this thread which has a specific subject? I know that this is normal for the internet, but please stop trashing the thread with garbage.

My messages removed.

Offline ankerwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
Hy Fennec,
what is the problem you have?

Why do you not read my post after your post?

My scope did the same effect as yours. Read my post !!!
Power OFF > Power ON > SelfCal
... wait ... and all is ok

Why all these violent words?

LG Wolf
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:09:21 pm by ankerwolf »

Offline ankerwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »
Hello Fennec,
What's LG ?
My native language is german. Therfore my valediction is also in german: LG means "Liebe Grüße". Or if you want: Kind regards
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:50:51 pm by ankerwolf »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 10:49:19 pm »
Why do you not read my post after your post?

Why you didn't read mine ?

Since my last RESET my scope is complete ded. It boots up with this screen.

All knobs around the screen are ded. So Start or Exit wouldn't work.

Startup reset wouldn't work. If I tried this, it beeps a few times, than the beeper wouldn't stop and ALL the grey buttons are dead, no way to stop it.

what is the problem you have?

What's LG ?

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 10:50:42 pm »
Hello Fennec,
What's LG ?
My native language is german. Therfore my valediction ist also in german: LG means "Liebe Grüße". Or if you want: Kind regards

Thx

LG

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (from: FW 00.04.04.03.02)
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
PNG screenshot with thumb-drive and printer button takes 2 1/2 MINUTES !
One detail: at a certain point in the firmware merry-go-round, the DS4000 series had the same issue. I found out that FAT32 pendrives were terribly slow while FAT16 was very fast. Perhaps you could try this with your DS1000Z?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:40 pm »
Yepp, thats it. 3-4s only.
The downside is, FAT16 can handle 4GB only. So you have to use an old "pendrive" nice name btw. or you lost the rest of the partition. If the RIGOL can handle more than one partitions with FAT16 I didn't checked.
Maybe I find in da junk box an old small thumb-drive. All I have is much larger than 64GB  :(

But thx.

The 100 is cracked  :blah:  :blah:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:42:42 pm by Fennec »

Offline ankerwolf

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (from: FW 00.04.04.03.02)
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2017, 11:45:57 pm »
Hello,
One detail: ... I found out that FAT32 pendrives were terribly slow while FAT16 was very fast. Perhaps you could try this with your DS1000Z?

I'v tried that: No difference !
PLATINUM 2GB new formatted:
FAT (Std) same as FAT32: ~4 sec png screen (size ~32kB)

Kingston (DTSE9) 16GB FAT32: same ~4sec

BUT:
Another bootable 2GB FAT32 USB-Stick: ... not a DOS Disk ...
Another bootable 16GB NTFS USB-Stick: Saving failed!

LG Wolf
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:52:25 pm by ankerwolf »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:54 pm »
Which OS do you use ? Windows ? So try "hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool" It works fine. Sometimes it can refresh older or damaged pendrives. /attached  (Change txt to exe.) Ya, it's clean.
On Linux it is easy formatt to FAT16. On Windows I am an idiot.

For me the FAT16 works way better than FAT32. Maybe it is the pendrive chipset. Idk. I've checked only one laying arround.

Maybe it is possible plant in such a cheap bluetooth or wifi modul for $US5 ? So it would work with all devices, include mobile phones and without any cables. I never test it, because the scope is still sealed.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:16:03 am by Fennec »

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 05:08:21 am »
Yepp, thats it. 3-4s only.
The downside is, FAT16 can handle 4GB only. So you have to use an old "pendrive" nice name btw. or you lost the rest of the partition. If the RIGOL can handle more than one partitions with FAT16 I didn't checked.
Maybe I find in da junk box an old small thumb-drive. All I have is much larger than 64GB  :(

That is probably the main problem. Even with the failed first update (flashing error).   :-BROKE

There is (well hidden) on page 16-2 under point 8. (3) in the DS 1054Z Manual this text:

"Make sure whether the capacity of the USB storage device is too large. It is
recommended that the capacity of the USB storage device being used with
this oscilloscope is no larger than 8 GBytes."

And it gets still much worse. In this description of the "DS1000Z Firmware Upgrade Procedure" they recommend this:

"The USB stick must be FAT32 format. If the device is not recognized, try reformatting or
another USB memory stick. We also recommend minimizing the number of folders, files,
and programs on the stick. Drives less than 4GB in total volume are also recommended."

What should I say? My 8 GB USB stick, FAT32, worked and still works fine...   :-//

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 10:12:46 am »
"The USB stick must be FAT32 format. If the device is not recognized, try reformatting or
another USB memory stick. We also recommend minimizing the number of folders, files,
and programs on the stick. Drives less than 4GB in total volume are also recommended."

What should I say? My 8 GB USB stick, FAT32, worked and still works fine...   :-//

If it can handle FAT32 then I don't see why the drive size would make any difference at all.  :-//

One detail: at a certain point in the firmware merry-go-round, the DS4000 series had the same issue. I found out that FAT32 pendrives were terribly slow while FAT16 was very fast. Perhaps you could try this with your DS1000Z?

Was it the exact same pendrive formatted both ways?

I don't think FAT16/FAT32 is the reason. I put big pendrives in mine all the time and it's not slow.

If somebody here owns a 'slow' pendrive then it would be good if they could try formatting it different ways and different capacities and report back with actual numbers.

FAT16
FAT32 4Gb partition
FAT32 8Gb partition

I'm betting it won't make any difference though, pendrives have lots of hidden secrets* and formatting them doesn't erase all the information.

You might be able to make a pendrive into a 'fast' one with clever use of Windows' diskpart/bootsect. I wouldn't know the commands you'll need though.

(*) As anybody who's ever tried to make a bootable pendrive to install Windows can tell you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:37:55 am by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
If it can handle FAT32 then I don't see why the drive size would make any difference at all.  :-//

Actually it does and there is no problem at all writing to:

USB Stick CNMemory "Spaceloop"
      PCI Device ID: 0x268c
      PCI Revision ID: 0x0009
      PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
      32Gb, FAT32 formatted via OS X Disk Utility

Can not remember having any trouble writing to USB sticks, apart from ExFAT, OS X Extended,... formatted media. So as long as it is FAT16/32 formatted – no problem at all.

However, there is another issue: The timestamp is always 1st of November 2014
There is no difference, if connected to LAN via DHCP. But AFAIK the DS1000Z does not have an RTC.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:37:49 am by frozenfrogz »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:40 am »
However, there is another issue: The timestamp is always 1st of November 2014
There is no difference, if connected to LAN via DHCP. But AFAIK the DS1000Z does not have an RTC.

Yep. It doesn't know the time so what should it do?

1st of November 2014 is probably the design meeting when the DS1054Z was 'born' or something like that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf