Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (latest: 00.04.04.04.03, 2019-05-30)  (Read 110497 times)

Offline frozenfrogzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series buglist continued (from: 00.04.04.03.02)
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:49 pm »
I'm not sure if this post is the best place to ask my question. I'm sorry if it's not!

Everything not strictly bug related (factual and possible bugs) is being discussed in this thread over a cup of tea - sometimes even with a hint of humor.

Btw. installed options are still being kept after updating to the latest firmware.

Cheers,
Frederik

P.S. Please let me know if I should include more summarizing/general info regarding the scope in the opening post.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline psysc0rpi0n

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2017, 09:30:16 am »

P.S. Please let me know if I should include more summarizing/general info regarding the scope in the opening post.

Was this to me? I didn't understood! Do you want to know the scope I own so that you add it to the 1st post, is that it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2017, 11:10:26 am »

Was this to me?

Sort of...  I try to maintain the opening post as comprehensive and self explanatory as possible so that general discussions can take place in the thread mentioned before and bug related discussion has a dedicated space here. I am open to suggestions for making that more clear in the OP.

Offline PeLa

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2017, 12:27:12 pm »
I am surprised that I could not find any reference to the following bug in the list yet:

When setting the number of averages using :ACQuire:AVERages <int>
and setting acquisition mode to :ACQuire:TYPE AVERages and :RUN the scope,
there is no way to find out how many averages have been acquired.

So if I want to acquire a certain number of averages of an event that only occurs every now and then, I have no way to find out via a query sent to the scope.

The closest I can get to finding out whether an acquisition of a certain number of averages has finished is to look at the number of counts displayed on the screen by enabling any statistics item in diff mode. This can be done by sending the following command sequence prior to starting the acquisition with :RUN

:STOP
:MEASure:STATistic:MODE DIFF
:MEASure:STATistic:ITEM VPP,CHANNEL1
:MEASure:STATistic:DISPlay 1
:MEASure:STATistic:RESet
:RUN

As soon as triggers come in the "cnt" will be displayed in the statistics on the screen. However this value cannot be read. The only valid commands to read statistic items are MAXimum|MINimum|CURRent|AVERages|DEViation. No counts. |O

I have interfaced HP/Agilent/Keysight and Tektronix scopes before in my day job. - I never came across a scope that wouldn't tell you how many averages it has acquired (Tektronix) or if the acquisition of a certain number of averages is complete (HP/Agilent/Keysight)

00.04.04.03.02 software
0.0.1.4 Boot version
0.2.3.11 firmware

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:29 pm »
I am surprised that I could not find any reference to the following bug in the list yet:

I am not.  ;)

I won't call it an arcane usage scenario, but is is certainly not a common one. And while I agree that it would be nice if there were a command to poll the number of averages taken, I don't think the lack of it qualifies as a bug, since the documentation doesn't promise such functionality anywhere.

Offline PeLa

• Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »
If a digitising scope is unable to tell me whether an acquisition has finished, so that I can go ahead and start the data transfer, that is a bug in my eyes. The number of averages is not required but might be the easiest way to implement as solution.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:38:23 pm by PeLa »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
I don't think the lack of it qualifies as a bug, since the documentation doesn't promise such functionality anywhere.

Correct. It is a deficiency, as compared to other products, and a feature that seems logical to have for the use case described, but it's not a bug.

By contrast, having a label that says "Pluses" instead of "Pulses" for pulse-related functionality is a bug. :horse:

Just a matter of semantics? Absolutely. The meanings are important.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:33 pm »
Sooo.. does it qualify for a wish list item?

I do not really use the remote interface and thus am a little ambivalent towards everything related to that :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2017, 10:17:18 pm »
It's a feature request, yes.

Offline PeLa

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2017, 11:02:27 pm »
Thanks for your help guys. I'll leave you to make the decision, whether it goes into any list. It does look like I am asking for a niche feature for this oscilloscope, since nobody else chipped in. What a shame.

It was one of the features that I just assumed every digitising scope has to have because it is (at least in my field) absolutely essential for data acquisition and transfer. I learned the lesson.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2017, 11:49:34 pm »
Sure thing. Thanks for chiming in, PeLa. We can't all know about every industry's use cases.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »
NEW BUG (Software 00.04.04.SP3, Board 0.1.1): When a bad SCPI command is followed by at least one other command, then querying the error queue using ":SYST:ERR?" will lead to unresponsive (hang) SCPI over TCP/IP (LXI) until the next power cycle.
Note: This will not happen for any bad command, so far I found that commands that make the oscilloscope to display "Function Limited!" or "Invalid Input!" will trigger this kind of bug. I didn't test it for USB/SCPI commands.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Connect a Rigol DS1054Z to LAN, then start Netcat by typing in a terminal:
nc 192.168.1.3 5555

3. In the NetCat, type
:WAV:STAR 0

4. Now type at least one more SCPI command, good or bad, for example
:WAV:STAR 1

5. SCPI apparently is still working, until you type:
:SYST:ERR?

6. Now the oscilloscope won't respond to any other SCPI command, and it won't accept new TCP connections until the next power cycle.

Rigol, please fix it.
 :-BROKE

Example
Code: [Select]
:WAV:MODE:NORM
:syst:err?
-113,"Undefined header; keyword cannot be found"

:WAV:MODE NORM
0,"No error"

:WAV:MODE STAR 1201
-220,"Parameter error"
0,"No error"
So far all good, as expected.

Now, try this:
Code: [Select]
:WAV:STAR 1201
:WAV:STAR 120
That's it, after the last ':SYST:ERR?' SCPI hangs, and no other SCPI commands will work until the next power on.

Later edit:
It would be useful if anybody else can reproduce this, please. Does your DS1000Z hangs, too?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:47:39 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2017, 11:44:39 am »
Yup. Bug also exist in SCPI with USB connection.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:48:58 am by zbyr »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »
Thank you for testing it.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2017, 01:32:07 pm »
Regarding the scpi command bug, is somebody going to report it to Rigol and post the date of reporting and contact details (Rigol NA/Europe/etc, name of Rigol contact person) here?

Offline SparkyM8

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »
So if I want to acquire a certain number of averages of an event that only occurs every now and then, I have no way to find out via a query sent to the scope.

PeLa are you checking the OPC bit?

OPC should not be set to 1 until the operation is complete. Certainly, whenever I have programmed Agilent spectrum analysers with averaging involved OPC does not go high until all averages have been collected.
This aspect is not only desirable, it is usually essential, because the connection will probably timeout and halt your program if you ask for a response before all the data are collected.
Normally you would put the program into a timer loop, checking OPC with every pass, and jump out when it goes high then collect the data.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:54:51 pm by SparkyM8 »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2017, 02:02:19 pm »
Regarding the scpi command bug, is somebody going to report it to Rigol and post the date of reporting and contact details (Rigol NA/Europe/etc, name of Rigol contact person) here?

Not me.
Just in case more details about versions are required, I am attaching them here. The SN was partially deleted by me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2017, 11:50:59 am »
Original posting has been updated with info on SCPI lock up.

Regards,
Frederik

Online rob040

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »
Today I've received a reply on my mail to Rigol asking for a release date of the new software. I was asking for that after reading this threat.
Reply came from Rigol EU, but not giving a date. I also referred to the long existing typo "Pluses" and the answer on that was that it was first time reported to Rigol only 5 weeks ago.  :-//
So, if there will be a new release, at least that should be solved... The rest will be a surprise.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »
I also referred to the long existing typo "Pluses" and the answer on that was that it was first time reported to Rigol only 5 weeks ago.  :-//

Hmmm. Fascinating.

Offline Wall-E

• Contributor
  • Stijn
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:14 pm »
Today I've received a reply on my mail to Rigol asking for a release date of the new software. I was asking for that after reading this threat.
Reply came from Rigol EU, but not giving a date. I also referred to the long existing typo "Pluses" and the answer on that was that it was first time reported to Rigol only 5 weeks ago.  :-//
So, if there will be a new release, at least that should be solved... The rest will be a surprise.

Rigol told me that if they only get a couple of complaints its is generally ignored and not thought about as necessarily being a significant issue to be concerned with, or taken that seriously.  But when they receive multiple reports, say over  10, 25 and more on a new active product it is indeed taken seriously.  Right now most of the Rigol equipment is mature enough that it isn't a active design product, and as a result it takes a lot of complaints, possibly hundreds, to get anything changed in the firmware.  After all the software teams are off on to the next product designs.  That's not hard to understand for any progressive business organization with new designs in the works to enhance their product line.

So guys we need to get together and each chime in when a issue is found if we want to have any action taken.  Is this so unexpected.  We all need to do our share of bitching to get something done.  Don't just let it go because someone has submitted a technical support issue.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:19 am »
That's not hard to understand for any progressive business organization with new designs in the works to enhance their product line.

On the contrary, it is very hard to understand from a test & measurement company that claims:

"Uncompromised Performance… Unprecedented Value"

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:23 pm »
On the contrary, it is very hard to understand from a test & measurement company that claims:

"Uncompromised Performance… Unprecedented Value"

Well, you know what "value" means in marketing-speak, right? It's a euphemism for "cheap".  :P

But, seriously: Of course Rigol will have to triage, and will not fix all issues. Otherwise they would never get around to releasing further new products once they have to sustain a few existing products in the market.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:52 pm »
I want to add another bug. The DS1000Z series does not display the full vertical resolution, it clips it at 80%.
The 8-bit ADC produces 8-bit samples which have 2^8 = 256 possible values. Only 200 of them are visible on the display,
the rest is cut-off.
Downloading the waveform sample data will give you acces to the full vertical resolution.
Have a look at the screenshots, one is made internally in the scope and shows the clipped waveform.
By using DSRemote you can view the full dynamic range of the ADC. It's an increase of dynamic range of 25%!

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »
I want to add another bug. The DS1000Z series does not display the full vertical resolution, it clips it at 80%.

I think you are mistaken (or I do not fully understand).
My guess is, that you have not yet figured out that you can set the division from coarse to fine. »coarse« jumps from 1V/div to 2V/div whereas »fine« lets you also select various zoom factors between 1 and 2 volts (or which ever range you are in).

Edit: In case you did not notice: The screen of the 1054Z gives you 8 vertical divisions while the emulated 1104Z screen shows 10 vertical divisions, hence can show the full waveform without clipping at 2V/div.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:57:38 pm by frozenfrogz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf