Author Topic: GW Instek FRA Software  (Read 6834 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: GW Instek FRA Software
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 10:39:17 pm »
Insert a filter or crystal in the path and see what you get.  I could not get a usable xtal response with anything I tried.  The problem is lack of user control of the sampling.  Trivial to fix if we had the source code.

FWIW I've had the 2072E on the bench identifying chips and  function. It looks very much like an FPGA dev board in a nice package with lots of inputs and a good analog front end.  One thing that struck me looking at the board was how easy it would be to generate basic service data for.  And the SMD parts make replacement pretty simple with everything on a couple of planes.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:37 pm »
Another problem could be impedance mismatch so you can't get enough dynamic range and/or the crystal is being loaded too much so it can't resonate.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:42 pm »
It's a programmer error.

Offline rigol52Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 02:16:22 pm »
Does anyone have live contacts with Siglent staff, to ask about their possible plans

on FRA (Bode plot) solutions with their low range oscilloscopes like SDS1202X-E ?

I wrote to distributer but no answer.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 04:11:12 pm »
Does anyone have live contacts with Siglent staff, to ask about their possible plans

on FRA (Bode plot) solutions with their low range oscilloscopes like SDS1202X-E ?

I wrote to distributer but no answer.

As far as I can tell there are no plans for the SDS1202X-E.

For Bode plotter to work, the scope requires either a built-in signal generator or the ability to control an external one. Both options are missing on the SDS1202X-E. It also would be a bit limiting as it is a 2 channel scope and could do just single channel frequency/phase analysis. But the SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E come with a proper 3-channel bode plotter that is meant for real work and not just another me-too feature.

Anyway, this is the wrong thread to discuss this topic. If you're interested, watch out for a review (coming soon) here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

Offline rigol52Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 05:08:53 pm »
Hi Performa01, thanks for info. Exactly what I am looking for.

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
  • Without engineering science is just philosophy.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
My apologies if these are obvious points you've already tried with the crystal series resonance:
- Increase Points/Decade from 10 to 90.
- Try different AWG amplitudes.
- Try both 50ohm and High Z AWG load setting.

I agree that it would be a killer feature to make these apps open source. :-+
They seemingly already implemented a script interpreter, so why not make it public?

It's strange that they didn't implement the resolution parameter as Points/Division instead of Points/Decade?
That ought to be a small script change and would make it useful in a wider range of applications IMHO.

I'm still waiting for my MDO-2204EX to arrive, but I'm looking forward to playing with this. :D

Best regards
Soren
You should never go down on equipment!

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »
I tried all of those which is why I was so disappointed.   For the xtal sweep range I only had 56 points which is why the crap result.   They are using Lua for the scripting language, so there is the decompiling byte code problem.  Not impossible, but a nuisance.

I'm almost ready to start real work.  The heatsink for the BeagleBoard X15 ARM chip arrived today and the glue is drying. I didn't realize I needed to ground Power-On# and cut it off and heatshrinked the end.  So I've got to take it apart and fix that.  I also need an assortment of bulkhead mounted connectors.  But the MicroZed is ready to go.  I just need a block of time without any interruptions to start on the FPGA  tutorials for the MicroZed.

GW will not allow the SA app to run on my MSO-2204EA.  The marketing guy was clearly unhappy that I had managed to subvert his new product. He "fixed" the mistake in 1.34. So I reverted to 1.32 as the SA app is usable whereas the FRA is not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf