Author Topic: Ridiculously small Rigol DS1000z series font size  (Read 61121 times)

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: Ridiculously small Rigol DS1000z series font size
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »
Is there any update on the font sizes which Rigol is using in the latest firmware? =)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »
I can confirm, font size on my DS1074Z user interface is way too small and brings instant eye fatigue.

OK, i'm near to fifty and i wear glasses, but my 5" samsung smartphone is much more readable that this.

So, any update on the FW with variable font size parameter ? 

Offline nunoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »
Asked last week, no update available yet. Looks like I'll have to get rid of it and buy something else :(

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »
I have a DS1054z with firmware version 00.04.01.SP2. I noticed on page 140 of the scope's user manual (pdf) that the measurements at the bottom of the screen can be displayed in two font sizes.

The manual says to press MEASURE-->FONT SIZE to select "Normal" or "Large". This font size change helps out my vintage eyes a bit. The normal size font was a bit too small for me personally.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »
Yep,  with this option at least measures are OK but everything else is unaffected.

It's a pity because functionally speaking the instrument cover my needs, especially considering its price, but if no solution
will be available in short time i will have to use something else to not worsen my eyes condition.

Needless to say, years ago, when i had a perfect vision, this detail would not have been a deal breaker.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:51 am »
Do you wear (or need) glasses?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:20 am »
Asked last week, no update available yet. Looks like I'll have to get rid of it and buy something else :(
Even if they decided to change the system fonts on your request you'll only wait a week for it?  :-DD

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 08:37:16 am »
After some weeks waiting just received my DS1000Z series scope. Boy, what immediatelly struck me is the screen's font size: TOO DAMN SMALL!! It's barelly useable for me at an arm's length.  I am the only one with a weak sight?

No.

Hint: There are shops that sell small glass lenses for placing in front of your eyes to solve this problem (and have been selling them for a couple of centuries now).

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 02:49:04 pm »
Do you wear (or need) glasses?

Yes, i do wear glasses for presbyopia correction, +2.5 dioptres for ideal vision in a range of 40-60 cm.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
Even if they decided to change the system fonts on your request you'll only wait a week for it?  :-DD
:-DD
It's been almost 4 months since I complained (to Rigol, of course) and this thread is dated from that time. At the time they said it was in the works and a new release should't take long (the support guy is excellent and even got me an R&D preview image of what was going to be final result).

An OS oscilloscope, even if a 20MHz one, that would be "it".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:23:23 pm by nuno »

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »
They did partially fix it with firmware 04.*. They changed the font used for displaying measurements, it's now a sans-serif instead of a serif, which makes it easier to read, even if it is still the same size.

As mentioned above, they added a "large" option for the measurements, it doubles the font size and makes it bold. Doesn't look great design wise (overlaps with the trace area), but it's useful when you're sitting at more than arms length from the scope.

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it doesn't annoy me everytime I look at the measurements anymore.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »
the support guy is excellent and even got me an R&D preview image of what was going to be final result.

So at the time rep support seemed promising ...
If no NDA is present, could you post the preview image ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
Ok guys, thanks for the headsup on the new sw version, I asked the support directly and they said they were still on 00.04.01 (mine has 00.04.00), so maybe they didn't noticed or the 1104Z has different sw from the 1054Z (what model do you have, Maxlor?)... but I asked and they sent me a "changes" file that I haven't yet looked carefully.

I guess I can show the image, there's nothing special about it, it shows the measurements in a big font, which is probably what you guys described. The second image is what I sent back with just a few suggestions (and also made and sent a short collection of the comments on this thread). I see no problem with the text going over the chart area, I preffer that and the area is big, not a big deal loosing a bit of it for a better cause.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »
It's been almost 4 months since I complained (to Rigol, of course) and this thread is dated from that time. At the time they said it was in the works and a new release should't take long (the support guy is excellent and even got me an R&D preview image of what was going to be final result).

You have a direct connection to the people who fix the user interface???

I have a couple of suggestions...!

Let's start with that damned multifunction knob that moves and makes wrong menu selections almost every time you press it.

eg. To change a menu selection: Press the menu button next to it, use the blue arrow keys to move up/down the menu to the item you want, press the same menu button again to select the item and close the menu.

Another way to do it would be keep everything as it is now but allow you to press the "Clear" button to select a menu item as well as pressing the multifunction knob. That would only take about 1 extra line of code but eliminate a lot of frustration.

(In fact, there's no reason why they couldn't implement both of those things....)

Oh, and they could set up a system where people can make suggestions for user interface tweaks like this.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 01:14:24 am »
@ nuno,

correct me if i'm wrong : the promised modification was the measure large font option ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:26 am »
Was to implement the feature in the manual, which seems to be the measurements font size (didn't check). But I took the oportunity to do the 2nd image suggestions and send the comments this thread had at the time.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »
Ok, just stopped to hold my breath awaiting normal size font UI for this scope.

So now i have two possibilities :

1) rejuvenate with a spell to regain perfect vision
2) sell the scope an buy another one, not before checking UI legibility

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 04:21:23 pm »
Ok, just stopped to hold my breath awaiting normal size font UI for this scope.

So now i have two possibilities :

1) rejuvenate with a spell to regain perfect vision
2) sell the scope an buy another one, not before checking UI legibility

Here are the DS1000Z and DS2000 screen sizes compared. Both have been reduced to their actual real-world size - at least as measured on my desktop monitor with 0.27mm dot pitch - so the fonts, etc, are not very sharp - but at least it gives you an idea about relative sizes.

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »
glue a fresnel lens to the front of the scope :P

terminals by the end

but tell me, what is the text size of this forum and at what distance?
don't tell me you like your pc more than scope so you can't bring it a bit closer?  ;D

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »
Here are the DS1000Z and DS2000 screen sizes compared. Both have been reduced to their actual real-world size - at least as measured on my desktop monitor with 0.27mm dot pitch - so the fonts, etc, are not very sharp - but at least it gives you an idea about relative sizes.

Thank you marmad,
nice comparison.

Do you own both models ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 12:06:02 am »
Here are the DS1000Z and DS2000 screen sizes compared
Nice, thanks for the comparison. I would live pretty well with the DS2K screen size. But I need 4 channels, and can't justify the investment in a DS4K.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 03:19:14 am »
Thank you marmad,
nice comparison.

Do you own both models ?

No, I only own the DS2000 - but I have the MSO1000Z on loan for a couple of months to make a video review.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:49 pm »
No, I only own the DS2000 - but I have the MSO1000Z on loan for a couple of months to make a video review.

So probably you already had the opportunity to put them side by side.

What's your personal opinion about the difference in clarity of vision among above instruments ?

Looking closely at my DS1074Z display, even with a magnifying lens, i have the impression that its panel exhibits quite low pixel sharpness, like a screen showing a rescaled image.

Even mine "el cheapo" HDG2002B's  lcd display looks A LOT sharper.

This, in conjuction with small font text, brings effort to eyes, that probaly goes unnoticed to people with perfect vision.

But unnoticed does not mean that it does not hurts ...

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 03:08:32 pm »
What's your personal opinion about the difference in clarity of vision among above instruments ?
Well, I don't have great vision (I wear glasses) and my own personal feeling is that the DS1000Z screen is just a little too small for my comfort. It's brighter than the DS2000, but seems a little bit less sharp (although that might just be an optical illusion due to it's smaller size). I also really like the fact that you can retract the menus on the DS2000.

I tried to get a good photo of both screens together - but it's difficult due to the viewing angles, etc. So the DS1000Z screen looks slightly more washed-out than normal - and the DS2000 looks slightly smaller than normal (vertically squashed). The best thing to do is to download the original large version of the photo here - and then examine it at close range to get a better idea.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:14:27 pm by marmad »

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 09:10:39 pm »
a close inspection of a cellphone image?  :scared:

seems to me 2 scopes were not set at same 'intensity' levels....and that would interest me more than fonts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf