Author Topic: Need a connector  (Read 2687 times)

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
Need a connector
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:28:16 am »
To make a modification to my 2465BCT, I need a wire-to-wire connector that I cannot find. What I need is a two pin, shielded connector. This is for signals and not power, so it should be fairly small - like 1/8" x 1/4" type. There are two signal wires contained in a shielded cable, so I need two pins and I need to connect the ground wire to the shield on both the plug and socket. I need to connect the wires from the chassis to a circuit board. I also need to be able to disconnect them, and the circuit board is not reachable when everything is installed. So, I need wire-to-wire connectors. I have spent a huge amount of time and not found what I need. I probably am not using the right keywords or I don't recognize what I need when I see it.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Need a connector
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:43 am »
Just throwing ideas out .....

Not sure of the bandwidth issues - but would a micro USB do the job?

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:23:09 am »
To get such a small connector, I'd think your best bet is to select a pre-made cable (maybe the microUSB that Brumby mentioned) and then buy an "extension cord" version i.e. male on one end and female on the other end.  This will get you small, pre-molded connectors.  Cut the cable in half, and you've got your connectors that will plug together and two wire ends to terminate on your boards.

Offline billfernandez

• Regular Contributor

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:18 am »

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:11:36 am »
Just throwing ideas out .....

Not sure of the bandwidth issues - but would a micro USB do the job?

If I can't find a more specific connector, then a USB connector might be a possible choice. I am not sure that a micro USB connector will work, because I will need both male and female wire connectors. They are probably out there, but the only ones I have seen personally are the USB extension cables. I don't know if the wires inside of those cables will be solderable and robust when attached to the circuit board. Those may be (probably are) very small wires. I was planning on using 18ga wire (multi-stranded) which I could crimp onto the male / female pins. But so far, I haven't found the appropriate housing.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:33:18 am »
USB cables tend to be thrashed around a bit in general use, so I think there will be a degree of robustness in a decent cable and molded connectors.  As for the conductors, if you are going to strip them out and fix them to a PCB, then all you need to do is ensure you have a secure strain relief mechanism that will prevent any movement of the cable from getting to the individual conductors.

You can get bare microUSB plugs and sockets - but they are not the sort of thing to try and solder fly leads to.  Trust me, I've tried.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 05:38:55 am »
USB cables tend to be thrashed around a bit in general use, so I think there will be a degree of robustness in a decent cable and molded connectors.  As for the conductors, if you are going to strip them out and fix them to a PCB, then all you need to do is ensure you have a secure strain relief mechanism that will prevent any movement of the cable from getting to the individual conductors.

You can get bare microUSB plugs and sockets - but they are not the sort of thing to try and solder fly leads to.  Trust me, I've tried.

I'm thinking that the USB cables will have 26ga or 28ga wires. I can't easily modify the board to which I connecting (nor do I want to, so that this modification can be easily reversed), so the wire itself must have a reasonable amount of strength. USB cables are fairly robust, but most of that is in the plastic and not the wire. Same thing for RJ-45 internet cables.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 05:51:08 am »
You don't need to provide strain relief right next to the PCB connections - just at some point between them and the USB plug/socket.  The only risk then would be a physical jolt of the PCB that might put strain on the joints from the unsupported length on the inboard side of the strain relief.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf